Official MVCfans.com Prediction - 1st Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will win 2010-2011 MVC mens basketball season regular season title?

Missouri State
42%
Wichita State
58%

Total votes : 96

Re: Official MVCfans.com Prediction - 1st Place

Postby MoValley John » October 6th, 2010, 3:33 pm

valleychamp wrote:
Right.

I forgot, nobody cares about lil 'ol UNI.

After all, what have we ever done?

Exactly. It's not as if UNI really has done anything. They've had two good years and went to one Sweet 16. In the very short run they have done a little, but in the grand scheme of things, they have done nothing.

In reality, you are teetering on a political disaster with your entire athletic program at stake. You won the last battle, but that war will never end. Once these funding wars start, they never die. In a year or two someone else trying to earn political capital will bring it up again. These are issues that once started, never die. In fact, Cal Berkley, a Pac 10 program just cut their baseball team, same as UNI. More cuts are to come at Berkley, the mighty Bears are in a diogfight to right their program before the politicians scuttle it. I don't think anyone here is jealous of what is happening at Berkley or Cedar Falls.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby valleychamp » October 6th, 2010, 4:27 pm

MoValley John wrote:
valleychamp wrote:
Right.

I forgot, nobody cares about lil 'ol UNI.

After all, what have we ever done?

Exactly. It's not as if UNI really has done anything. They've had two good years and went to one Sweet 16. In the very short run they have done a little, but in the grand scheme of things, they have done nothing.

In reality, you are teetering on a political disaster with your entire athletic program at stake. You won the last battle, but that war will never end. Once these funding wars start, they never die. In a year or two someone else trying to earn political capital will bring it up again. These are issues that once started, never die. In fact, Cal Berkley, a Pac 10 program just cut their baseball team, same as UNI. More cuts are to come at Berkley, the mighty Bears are in a diogfight to right their program before the politicians scuttle it. I don't think anyone here is jealous of what is happening at Berkley or Cedar Falls.

How will we ever compete? We should just quit now, while we are ahead.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » October 6th, 2010, 4:56 pm

Thanks for the info, valleychamp and 99. I must have let years slip by. I didn't think Jacobsen had been there that long. I will have to adjust my thinking past the stage of "let's see what he can do with his own recruits".

Then valleychamp just had to go and post one of the best set up lines since George Burns was playing straight man for Gracie Allen.

How will we ever compete? We should just quit now, while we are ahead.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact, you should.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » October 6th, 2010, 6:57 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
Kip Dynamite wrote:I voted for the Shocks but I'm not completely convinced that either MSU, CU or UNI won't sneak up and win the thing in the end.

Actually I think it will be UNI in the end that will sneak up and do. Jake is the man that every MVC team would love to have as their coach and will quickly reload and dominate once again.

UNI may compete for a Valley title this year, but let's not go crazy. Jacobsen has been a head coach for 4 years. He's gone 18-13, 18-14, 23-11, and 30-4. It's a pretty salty record. This season will prove a lot for Jacobsen. If he comes in and "dominates" as you say he will, then your argument is valid. But it can go just as easy the other direction..
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby snoopj » October 6th, 2010, 8:50 pm

WSUbballer wrote:UNI may compete for a Valley title this year, but let's not go crazy. Jacobsen has been a head coach for 4 years. He's gone 18-13, 18-14, 23-11, and 30-4. It's a pretty salty record. This season will prove a lot for Jacobsen. If he comes in and "dominates" as you say he will, then your argument is valid. But it can go just as easy the other direction..

Hell, I'm a UNI backer and I can't see UNI "dominating" this year. Being competitive, sure. I just don't see another 15-3 season out of them considering what they did lose to graduation. Still enough in the tank for a run, but I think they are comfortably in that mix from 2-6 that could be shuffled around and decided on the last regular season date going into Arch Madness.
University of Northern Iowa Class of 2000....however, an overall fan of the Missouri Valley Conference.
snoopj
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby unipanther99 » October 6th, 2010, 9:12 pm

Don't want to speak for Snaggletooth, but I think the "dominate" comment was meant for a year or two down the road. I can't believe anyone would think UNI will dominate the conference this year. A shared title would be a very pleasant surprise for me. As others have stated, 2nd-6th is far more realistic.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby bberilam » October 7th, 2010, 8:28 am

Back to the topic of 1st place, I voted WSU although I think the majority of WSU fans are crazy for thinking DWill or Ragland will be able to replace Hannah. He meant alot more to that team than everyone is giving him credit. I know as a bears fan he was the main reason we lost the last game we played against them. Absolutely clutch performance.

I still think WSU will win the conference because replacing Hanna with DWill or Ragland is a smaller weakness than the sudden lack of depth that the bears have after the Porter defection and Pickens injury. Really either team could win it, but I'd go with their chances at about 50% WSU, 25% MSU, 25% anyone else.

WSU has the talent and experience, they just need that PG to not be prohibitive.

MSU is getting the recognition they deserve though, Ricks was playing excellent at the end of the year and I can't wait to see him start. To the rest of the valley teams . . . is he annoying to play against? I think he would be because he plays so physically it's almost like he's SIU hand checking on offense.

The biggest determinant of the bears success will be 1st and foremost their ability to avoid injuries with such a thin squad, and second, the ability of the freshman Scheer, Copeland, and Cooper to step up and provide quality minutes. I expect big things from all three, but being reasonable, Scheer is the only one I really would feel comfortable with performing a significant role from the get go. Let's put it this way, the guards sitting in the bears team photo this year (aside from Ricks and Leonard) look like they're all still in high school. Nevertheless, the top 5 of Ricks, Leonard, Mallett, Weems, and Patterson is the best in the MVC. Should be a good year!
bberilam
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Jay30 » October 7th, 2010, 8:41 am

I'd play for Jacobsen in a heartbeat!
Jay30
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Little Eddie » October 7th, 2010, 10:38 am

Jay30 wrote:I'd play for Jacobsen in a heartbeat!

Turncoat!!!!
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Snaggletooth » October 7th, 2010, 10:43 am

bberilam wrote:but I'd go with their chances at about 50% WSU, 25% MSU, 25% anyone else.

to high of opinion of SWMO. It is pretty much
40% UNI
25% WSU
25% CU
10% SWMO

Only reason UNI is not at the top is people think they are a going to do the normal MVC rise and fall. Let me tell you this "Jake is the Man" - that is all there really needs to be said.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball