MVC to use replay cameras

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC to use replay cameras

Postby unipanther99 » October 13th, 2010, 6:02 pm

While I suppose it's good to have these additional cameras, I've always been more of a traditionalist. In a close game, you have to accept there is a certain amount of chance and luck involved in how the game will turn out. If you don't like that, make sure to keep your lead around 5 points or more.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Birdfan10 » October 13th, 2010, 6:23 pm

unipanther99 wrote:While I suppose it's good to have these additional cameras, I've always been more of a traditionalist. In a close game, you have to accept there is a certain amount of chance and luck involved in how the game will turn out. If you don't like that, make sure to keep your lead around 5 points or more.

So rather than determine a games outcome by the rules it is better to have it be lucky and incorrect?
Birdfan10
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby unipanther99 » October 13th, 2010, 6:33 pm

Birdfan10 wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:While I suppose it's good to have these additional cameras, I've always been more of a traditionalist. In a close game, you have to accept there is a certain amount of chance and luck involved in how the game will turn out. If you don't like that, make sure to keep your lead around 5 points or more.

So rather than determine a games outcome by the rules it is better to have it be lucky and incorrect?

Of course not, but every once in a while, goofy stuff happens. Sure, we want to get it right, but referees and even cameras aren't always perfect.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Ali » October 13th, 2010, 7:18 pm

WSUbballer wrote:
SirShoxAlot wrote:I love how this past March Madness, CU fans were wearing "1.9" as a badge of honor. Congrats on winning the game because of a time keeping error! Classic!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CU fans got to enjoy about 1.9 seconds of St. Louis last year.

Are you friggin serious? Turn the page.., you're referring to a game two seasons ago that you lost. You have a very good team this year and yet there are multiple whiny posts by Shox fans on this. Get over it!
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoValley John » October 13th, 2010, 7:29 pm

AndShock wrote:Is there a vid from a CU fan showing the shot was off in time? I know there are vids from 2 different shocker fans that show the shot wasn't in time.

I have no idea if there are any Creighton videos, probably not. But then again, why would there be? Creighton won, they wouldn't be trying to prove they won. On the other hand, if you can only come up with two Shocker videos attempting to prove otherwise, that is pretty weak. You can come up with hundreds and hundreds of Husker videos trying to show that they got screwed last year, but then again, even with the hundreds of videos made by fans, they didn't get screwed.

What I know is that the MVC officials first used a stopwatch which indicated the shot was good and then they used the video itself. They froze the video on the frame before the ball was touched, then counted frames until the ball left the player's hand, the divided the number of frames by fps and it was also under 1.9 seconds. Bob Lutz confirmed it in his article as well.

Maybe I'm sensitive because the stupid Nebraska-Texas game is this week and I've been inundated with the "We got screwed" stuff, but even so, the bitch from Shocker fans is the same bitch from Husker fans and regardless of how many YouTube videos are posted, it may make fans feel better but it still doesn't change the fact that the fans are wrong.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » October 13th, 2010, 7:36 pm

I'd like the links to the hundreds of Husker videos, I know the game you're talking about and I'd like to see how Nebraska fans think they got screwed over, I did a basic youtube search and couldn't come up with anything, I'm sure they're out there, I just can't find them. I'd also like the Lutz article/any other article saying Creighton really got the shot off in time. I think the thing I'd most like to see is a frame-by-frame video not done by a WSU fan to remove all bias. I honestly wasn't even aware that people really do think Woodfox legitimately got that shot off, of course that might just be my closed-minded bias. But I really thought even CU fans knew that shot shouldn't have counted, maybe I just wasn't reading enough of the BJ Cafe when it happened and I missed all of the debate.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » October 13th, 2010, 8:07 pm

AndShock wrote:I'd like the links to the hundreds of Husker videos, I know the game you're talking about and I'd like to see how Nebraska fans think they got screwed over, I did a basic youtube search and couldn't come up with anything, I'm sure they're out there, I just can't find them. I'd also like the Lutz article/any other article saying Creighton really got the shot off in time. I think the thing I'd most like to see is a frame-by-frame video not done by a WSU fan to remove all bias. I honestly wasn't even aware that people really do think Woodfox legitimately got that shot off, of course that might just be my closed-minded bias. But I really thought even CU fans knew that shot shouldn't have counted, maybe I just wasn't reading enough of the BJ Cafe when it happened and I missed all of the debate.

The Husker stuff is viral up here. Over and over and over. Today, I received emails from season ticket holders who received emails from Tom Osborne and Bo Pelini emploring fans at the game to treat visiting Texas fans with respect. The one second thing is huge up here. It is also crap.

As for the Lutz article, it was the very next day, it was posted both on Shockernet and Valley Talk. Lutz reported that both he and Tom Shatel from the Omaha World Herrald were in the booth when the reviews were done and the shot was legit. Needless to say, Shocker fans crucufied Lutz for the article and if memory serves me right they were upset at your AD for not doing more. I wouldn't know how to find that old article, but I'm sure there are some Shocker fans that would be honest enough to at least say that he did write the article in question. As for the the outcome from a game two years ago, do you guys really care that much? You can't change the outcome and you are only victimizing yourself over and over by rehashing it. It also just becomes whiny. I have five kids, I hear whiny enough from my five kids that I would rather not hear it here.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » October 13th, 2010, 8:13 pm

Just for perspective, here is a little gem from HuskerIllustrated:

Originally posted by TopekaHusker:
I think the OP should contact George Norrie or Art Bell and have them investigate this conspiracy theory.

Same old 'woe is me' on a thread before the K State game. How did that work out?

Having worked with, played with, and met a couple conference officials in the past the guys I know would report any attempt to exert any influence on how to do their jobs in an unbiased manner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meeting nice people and having a blatant conflict of interest are two different issues. Having UT grad Walt Anderson (chief of Big 12 officials)in the official replay booth while they voted to put the one second on the clock is a huge conflict of interest no matter who spins this deal...
Emphasis mine.
Link: http://nebraska.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=181&tid=137558458&mid=137558458&sid=928&style=2
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » October 13th, 2010, 8:35 pm

First of all, I think there's a considerable difference between conspiracy theories and video evidence. I'm not really considering Shocks and Huskers the same until I see the hundreds of videos you were referring to that "proves" the Huskers were screwed over. I don't think the outcome is what matters too much, I think the fact that when instant replay gets brought up, the CU-WSU game is the first thing that comes to mind for probably every WSU fan. I'm looking at a shockwaves blog from back then and apparently the claim was Woodfox would've released the shot with .4 seconds left if the clock started on time. That's believable, but I'm honestly never going to believe it unless I actually see it. Considering the only video I've seen shows him releasing the ball with 0.0 on the clock.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » October 13th, 2010, 9:01 pm

AndShock wrote:First of all, I think there's a considerable difference between conspiracy theories and video evidence. I'm not really considering Shocks and Huskers the same until I see the hundreds of videos you were referring to that "proves" the Huskers were screwed over. I don't think the outcome is what matters too much, I think the fact that when instant replay gets brought up, the CU-WSU game is the first thing that comes to mind for probably every WSU fan. I'm looking at a shockwaves blog from back then and apparently the claim was Woodfox would've released the shot with .4 seconds left if the clock started on time. That's believable, but I'm honestly never going to believe it unless I actually see it. Considering the only video I've seen shows him releasing the ball with 0.0 on the clock.

If it was reported on Shockwaves that way, that would be Suellentrop who reported it and that would be pretty darn accurate. Suellenthrop is a good writer, but is also a huge Wichita State homer; if there was a doubt, he wouldn't have conceded the .04. I never read the Suellthrop article, only Lutz. The reporters and AD's of both schools were in the booth when the reviews were done, it was done fairly, accurately and completely. As for Nebraska, the one second was put back on the clock during the Big XII championship game after a fair, accurate and complete review just like the fair, accurate and complete review in St Louis.

I'm pretty much done with this, I am just sick if this stuff this week. Husker fans can be so obver the top and now we're back into the ref's screwing teams drivel here. That said, if Shocker fans want to go on another tyrade of how you were screwed, go for it, I'll just skim over and exercize my right to not read it. Just keep in mind that the only people that you are selling is yourselves, the rest of the world has moved on.
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball