Creighton basketball updates

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Creighton basketball updates

Postby cu8493 » November 5th, 2010, 8:06 am

Coach explained lats Spring that he would have recruited Doug to ISU if he knew for sure that Doug would either be a walk-on with little hope of playing or so good that no one could question why he was on the Court. Mac explained that he didn't want to put Doug in a position where people would argue that the only reason he played was because he was coach's son. Very similar to Altman's reasons for not recruiting Klayton Korver.

If you follow Bix XII football at all, you have seen that very same issue play out with their knucklehead coach and his son at QB. He is not clearly better than the other QBs, but not clearly worse, either. Certainly, not at the level to be highly successful as a Big XII quarterback, so the coach and son get blasted for the son playing when the son struggles.

I think coach thought Doug could play, but wasn't sure if he would stack up well enough against Big XII talent that it would not result in a big distraction over whether and how much playing time he should get. I am sure he was confident Doug could be successful in the MVC so he was comfortable having Doug play for him at CU.

I have no difficulty understanding that rationale.
cu8493
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby 45otseoj » November 5th, 2010, 10:26 am

cu8493 wrote:I have no difficulty understanding that rationale.

Neither do I. Thanks you for explaining. With that being said though, I'm expecting Doug to an absolute stud in a few years, and I believe he would have been an above average player in the Big XII.
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

!

Postby WuDrWu » November 8th, 2010, 5:04 pm

PricklyPete wrote:Creighton plays Iowa State in two weeks and the Clones will be without Royce White who transferred from Minnesota after being suspended and had hoped to play immediately at Iowa State. Probably a good thing for Creighton (and UNI and Drake).

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5781594

Wouldn't matter anyway. All 3 Valley schools will pound McDermott's former school. KLJ, GE and Jr are going to make a formidable front court!!!!!! GO JAYS! (at least until conference season starts!)
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball