Creighton basketball updates

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Creighton basketball updates

Postby redbirdfan71 » October 22nd, 2010, 8:45 am

1. I think one of the main reasons Creighton has seen success in the past with Altman as coach was their deep rotation. That is huge in the MVC to have any depth. Coach Altman had all 10-11 of those players playing defense. If it hurt them, why did they have so much success under him?

2. I think Mcdermott starts and scores 8-10 a game and grabs in 4-5 rebounds a game. I've heard he is a stud.
redbirdfan71
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bigdawg » October 22nd, 2010, 8:56 am

redbirdfan71 wrote:1. I think one of the main reasons Creighton has seen success in the past with Altman as coach was their deep rotation. That is huge in the MVC to have any depth. Coach Altman had all 10-11 of those players playing defense. If it hurt them, why did they have so much success under him?

2. I think Mcdermott starts and scores 8-10 a game and grabs in 4-5 rebounds a game. I've heard he is a stud.

If young McD is that good, Panther fans are going to be pissed.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jayball » October 22nd, 2010, 8:59 am

Not sure I totally agree, Pete.

I think we will see some Lawson and Gregory lineups on the floor but I don't anticipate it being our starting lineup. They are the only 2 players with the size to play the 5 position, so I think they will spell each other more than play together, but I could be wrong.

I think the 4,5 spots will be a combination of Kenny, Gregory, Ethan, and Doug. With Runnels likely filling in here early. Actual minutes will depend on conditioning and defensive ability.

If Runnel can defend the wing...I see him getting mintues at the 3 after GE is eligible.

It will be interesting to see who gets minutes under McD. As a random starting place I was thinking of something like this

kenny 25
Gregory 25
Ethan 15
McD 15

But that would be less minutes a game than Gregory played as a frosh, less than Wragge played last year, and about what kenny played last year. It would allow for about 10 mins/game of KL and GE. It will be fun to see it shake out.
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MoValley John » October 22nd, 2010, 9:23 am

redbirdfan71 wrote:1. I think one of the main reasons Creighton has seen success in the past with Altman as coach was their deep rotation. That is huge in the MVC to have any depth. Coach Altman had all 10-11 of those players playing defense. If it hurt them, why did they have so much success under him?

A deep rotation doesn't hurt. Trying to run 10 deep for the sake of running a deep rotation when you only have 7.5 quality guys hurts.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » October 22nd, 2010, 10:33 am

redbirdfan71 wrote:2. I think Mcdermott starts and scores 8-10 a game and grabs in 4-5 rebounds a game. I've heard he is a stud.

There is no way that is happening.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WuDrWu » October 22nd, 2010, 10:57 am

valleychamp wrote:
redbirdfan71 wrote:2. I think Mcdermott starts and scores 8-10 a game and grabs in 4-5 rebounds a game. I've heard he is a stud.

There is no way that is happening.

Why not?
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby valleychamp » October 22nd, 2010, 11:03 am

Because he is a true freshman. And he is also a kid that is going to have to put on a lot of weight.

How many true freshman big men put up 10 and 5?

I just looked it up and Kenny Lawson, in his redshirt junior year, only put up like 13 and 6 last year.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » October 22nd, 2010, 11:29 am

valleychamp wrote:Because he is a true freshman. And he is also a kid that is going to have to put on a lot of weight.

How many true freshman big men put up 10 and 5?

The original poster said 8-10 ppg and 4-5 rpg. That's not unreasonable. Van Dest put up 8.5 and 4.5 last season as a true freshman, so it's certainly not impossible. I'm guessing Teague was in that range, too.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SubGod22 » October 22nd, 2010, 11:39 am

Will he get the opportunity to play enough behind Lawson and Rutgers to put up those kinds of numbers? I have no idea as I know nothing about him.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 22nd, 2010, 12:37 pm

SubGod22 wrote:Will he get the opportunity to play enough behind Lawson and Rutgers to put up those kinds of numbers? I have no idea as I know nothing about him.

McDermott would play the 4, not the five. I think there are some minutes available at the 4, at least until Echinique is eligible and Lawson starts spending some time there.

I'm pretty impressed with Little Mac, but I don't see him putting up 10 and 5 this year, especially if McDermott is going to play Lawson and Echinique at the same time.

Kid is a talented and turned a lot of heads the other day though...
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball