Creighton basketball updates

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Creighton basketball updates

Postby wildjays » October 16th, 2010, 8:03 am

Here are some pictures from Creighton's Bluejay Madness event.

http://whiteandbluereview.com/?p=8592
-----
White and Blue Review
http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby WuDrWu » October 17th, 2010, 8:44 pm

Nice video. I was bored and didn't watch until the end. Was there a poster like this?

Wanted: Any CU player interested in playing a lick of defense.
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby jayball » October 18th, 2010, 7:50 am

I didn't see any posters like that, but I think our defense was already better than last year.

I didn't see one floor slap in 15 mins.

Very encouraging!
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby cu8493 » October 18th, 2010, 10:37 am

Best thing I saw was no dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, ad nauseum by anyone wearing the number 3.
cu8493
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby RoyalShock » October 18th, 2010, 11:45 am

I wonder if a big difference between the two scrimmages (CU and WSU) has to do with the quality depth of each team and the competition for playing time.

WSU has 11-12 guys who have a reasonable expectation of seeing the floor consistently this season, so every opportunity to impress the coaches will be seized.

If CU isn't facing that type of situation I can see how their scrimmage might look more like a pick-up game. I haven't analyzed their roster so can any CU fans comment on team depth and expectations of playing time?
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 18th, 2010, 11:53 am

jayball wrote:I didn't see one floor slap in 15 mins.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 18th, 2010, 11:56 am

RoyalShock wrote:I wonder if a big difference between the two scrimmages (CU and WSU) has to do with the quality depth of each team and the competition for playing time.

WSU has 11-12 guys who have a reasonable expectation of seeing the floor consistently this season, so every opportunity to impress the coaches will be seized.

If CU isn't facing that type of situation I can see how their scrimmage might look more like a pick-up game. I haven't analyzed their roster so can any CU fans comment on team depth and expectations of playing time?

Personally, I think it has more to do with a new coach staff and a new offense, but there is probably something to your point. The CU guys have to learn McDermott's sets, etc. while a veteran WSU team should have Marshall's system down. Add to that the fact that almost all of the practice time so far has been focused on the defensive side of the ball and you are going to get offensive sloppiness.

I am a bit worried about the play of our guards. Hopefully Lawson, Wragge and Echinique can make up for any shortfalls.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jayball » October 18th, 2010, 1:09 pm

Royal,

I think it is still a bit hard to predict PT for several players. I think there is competition for spots but there is also a lot of learning new systems and personel going on. What we know is that Lawson and Antione Young will likely get big minutes.

After that there are lots of questions to be answered. In theory we have better post depth than in many years and likely better depth than at guard. Lawson, Gregory, Wragge, Runnels, and Doug McDermot seem liley to get the minutes at 4 and 5, however the Big Caracas doesn't become eligible unil mid-december. Everyone knows Lawson....rumors are this year that he will be shooting from outside a bit more. Wragge was virtually our only 3pt threat last year and hopefully he is in the same shooting form. He struggled with defense so hopefully he can improve on that part of his game. Doug McD is a frosh, but is getting good reviews and showed some skill in the scrimmage. So far he seems to be in the Koch brother mold.....good awareness, can shoot, and has some post moves. He could probably use a bit more weight but has enough coordination/skill to be able to contribute. Runnels was our 6'5" back up center last year. He might get some back up duty to Lawson until December, but there is hope that he can play some on the wing also. He was driving at the hoop in the scrimmage and looks like there might be some ability. It would be nice to have his size at the 3. We have another frosh, 6'11" Will Artino, but first impressions are that he is a RS candidate.

PG is AY. We have a frosh from Canada....6'2" Jahens Manigat and a walk-on Taylor Stormberg battling to get minutes here. Jahens is athletic but we don't know a lot about him yet.....he looked pretty sped up during the scrimmage. It was hard to tell if he was just overeager or if he has a lot of work to do. Stormberg has been getting some hype for his work ethic, and looked good in the scrimmage but we don't really know how legit his prospects are. So our PG questions are almost as bad as having a returning Soph and a Juco AA....:)

Wing spot is another one with questions...Josh Jones, Daryll Ashford are the two returners that had the most success last year, albeit inconsistent. Korver will be in the mix also. It will be a big help if Runnels is able to give time at the 3.

Should be interesting.
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby wildjays » October 18th, 2010, 10:38 pm

If you haven't had enough of Bluejay Madness, here was the White & Blue Review video package Danny put together from the event.

http://whiteandbluereview.com/?p=8611
-----
White and Blue Review
http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby ictjay » October 19th, 2010, 9:45 am

RoyalShock wrote:I wonder if a big difference between the two scrimmages (CU and WSU) has to do with the quality depth of each team and the competition for playing time.

I pray our days of a 11-12 man rotation are over. I sincerely believe it hurt more than it helped.
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball