Creighton basketball updates

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Creighton basketball updates

Postby ihsi » October 19th, 2010, 6:29 pm

My frustration was not the number of players in the rotation but Altman's substitution patterns. I think in St Louis we jumped out 9-0 and then he substituted for guys a couple of minutes into the game when it sure didn't seem anyone needed a breather.
ihsi
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby WuDrWu » October 19th, 2010, 7:41 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:Those are excellent questions that we'll probably never really know the answer to. The only thing I can say with confidence is that I do believe the depth was a key factor to the success in St Louis.
[/quote]

No doubt....I've seen too many teams, not just WSU, go to St. Louis with enough talent to win, but not nearly enough legs, or in some cases enough bodies.

Perhaps my biggest irritant is a coach that will not develop his bench throughout the year. Those that play the "scrubs" only in the last minute or 2 of blowouts, and then make it worse by not allowing those kids to play (Helllllllllooooooo Coach Turgeon) get a special place in my dungeon of dislike.
Last edited by WuDrWu on October 21st, 2010, 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ictjay » October 20th, 2010, 7:13 am

WuDrWu wrote:
ictjay wrote:I pray our days of a 11-12 man rotation are over. I sincerely believe it hurt more than it helped.

Do you think it would be fair to say that over the long haul, the 11-12 man rotation helped the program to maintain the consistently high finishes in the conference, as well as usually strong conference tournament showings while perhaps retarding the potential ceiling for the top 7-8?

In other words, did the bigger rotations eliminate some of the valleys and the peaks? And if (and only if) you agree with that theory, is it worth it?

Good points by all. I agree it helps in St. Louis. (excluding last year) On the other hand, I think it stunts the development of the #7-9 players who are on the bench.
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MoValley John » October 20th, 2010, 7:23 am

This is deep bench in St Louis theory is so overblown. Each team plays one game a day, no more. The kids playing are young and in great shape, playing three or four games back to back is not killing them. If it is, something is terribly wrong with the conditioning program at the school. Playing too many minutes in a single game might be killing them, but playing three games in three days is not too much for these kids.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 20th, 2010, 8:02 am

MoValley John wrote:This is deep bench in St Louis theory is so overblown. Each team plays one game a day, no more. The kids playing are young and in great shape, playing three or four games back to back is not killing them. If it is, something is terribly wrong with the conditioning program at the school. Playing too many minutes in a single game might be killing them, but playing three games in three days is not too much for these kids.

It isn't just three games in three days. It is consecutive games under the stress of a "lose and go home" environment that makes it more emotionally and physically tiring as well. Additionally, it is also three games in three days after a long season where players are beat up.

You can't get through three games in three days without using your bench. If you haven't gone very deep in your bench during the season, it can be hard for coaches to adjust in a high pressure tourney environment.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » October 20th, 2010, 8:47 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
MoValley John wrote:This is deep bench in St Louis theory is so overblown. Each team plays one game a day, no more. The kids playing are young and in great shape, playing three or four games back to back is not killing them. If it is, something is terribly wrong with the conditioning program at the school. Playing too many minutes in a single game might be killing them, but playing three games in three days is not too much for these kids.

It isn't just three games in three days. It is consecutive games under the stress of a "lose and go home" environment that makes it more emotionally and physically tiring as well. Additionally, it is also three games in three days after a long season where players are beat up.

You can't get through three games in three days without using your bench. If you haven't gone very deep in your bench during the season, it can be hard for coaches to adjust in a high pressure tourney environment.

That sounds like life. These players need to be able to deal with it.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jayball » October 20th, 2010, 8:55 am

Well, I imagine in life and in a three day college basketball tournament, it might be easier to be successful if you had 10-11 people that could share the load and positively contribute rather than 7.

But that only works if your 10-11 can play defense.
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MoValley John » October 20th, 2010, 9:27 am

jayball wrote:
But that only works if your 10-11 can play defense.

Bingo! So while you're resting the starters, the flow of the offense went south, your defense couldn't make a stop and the other team just went on a 16-4 run. At least the stress level of your starters was protected for the three game grind.
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby redbirdfan71 » October 22nd, 2010, 8:45 am

1. I think one of the main reasons Creighton has seen success in the past with Altman as coach was their deep rotation. That is huge in the MVC to have any depth. Coach Altman had all 10-11 of those players playing defense. If it hurt them, why did they have so much success under him?

2. I think Mcdermott starts and scores 8-10 a game and grabs in 4-5 rebounds a game. I've heard he is a stud.
redbirdfan71
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby bigdawg » October 22nd, 2010, 8:56 am

redbirdfan71 wrote:1. I think one of the main reasons Creighton has seen success in the past with Altman as coach was their deep rotation. That is huge in the MVC to have any depth. Coach Altman had all 10-11 of those players playing defense. If it hurt them, why did they have so much success under him?

2. I think Mcdermott starts and scores 8-10 a game and grabs in 4-5 rebounds a game. I've heard he is a stud.

If young McD is that good, Panther fans are going to be pissed.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball