New Iowa Coach might want to drop Drake & UNI games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby DUBulldog » October 14th, 2010, 7:04 pm

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2010/10/14/hawkeye-basketballmccaffery-unsure-of-big-four-future/

Maybe this will finally kill the Internet urban legend that Drake and UNI only play Iowa and Iowa State because the state legislature mandates it.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: New Iowa Coach might want to drop Drake & UNI games

Postby AndShock » October 14th, 2010, 7:14 pm

I read that and it seems like he's willing to keep the games, I definitely didn't get the sense that he wants to drop them. Him coming directly from a mid-major I think it'd be a huge d-bag move if he did.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » October 14th, 2010, 8:19 pm

AndShock wrote:I read that and it seems like he's willing to keep the games, I definitely didn't get the sense that he wants to drop them. Him coming directly from a mid-major I think it'd be a huge d-bag move if he did.

Based on these quotes, it looks to me like he has certainly been thinking about ending these series.

But at the same time, it does limit some of our scheduling opportunities.”

“As you look down the road, we’ve got the ACC/Big Ten Challenge and we’ve got the league, and with the addition of Nebraska, how many games are we going to play?” McCaffery said. “Are we going to be committed to an exempt event every year? Instead of playing some of those teams, do we want to start playing some made-for-TV games?
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby LJay » October 15th, 2010, 6:42 am

Speaking of Iowa, it is being announced that Creighton will play in the same crappy MTE next year that they are playing in this year and instead of Iowa State in Des Moines they will play Iowa in Des Moines. It's a crappy MTE because the other three games in the event this year are Kennesaw State, Alabama State and Louisiana and no doubt we'll get three more cupcakes next year.

Oh well...hey, I thought you couldn't play in the same MTE two straight years?
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

Postby unipanther99 » October 15th, 2010, 7:51 am

LJay wrote:Speaking of Iowa, it is being announced that Creighton will play in the same crappy MTE next year that they are playing in this year and instead of Iowa State in Des Moines they will play Iowa in Des Moines. It's a crappy MTE because the other three games in the event this year are Kennesaw State, Alabama State and Louisiana and no doubt we'll get three more cupcakes next year.

I think it's in Matt Perrault's contract that Creighton must play in Des Moines twice a year now.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby tribecalledquest » October 15th, 2010, 7:52 am

LJay wrote:Speaking of Iowa, it is being announced that Creighton will play in the same crappy MTE next year that they are playing in this year and instead of Iowa State in Des Moines they will play Iowa in Des Moines. It's a crappy MTE because the other three games in the event this year are Kennesaw State, Alabama State and Louisiana and no doubt we'll get three more cupcakes next year.

You can if the event conveniently has a new name next year.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » October 15th, 2010, 8:04 am

The new Hawkeye coach mentions he is looking forward to the in state games but yet seems gaurded about playing them down the road. I would think he would be more focused on the near term. Maybe he is worried about going 0-3 in those games this year?

I am surprised he would mention this due to the popularity of the games.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » October 15th, 2010, 8:34 am

This comes up almost every time there is a coach or AD change in Iowa City or Ames. I'm not too worried that the games will go away. At this point, they need us as much, if not more than we need them.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 15th, 2010, 10:03 am

unipanther99 wrote:This comes up almost every time there is a coach or AD change in Iowa City or Ames. I'm not too worried that the games will go away. At this point, they need us as much, if not more than we need them.

Kinda funny as this same thing happens every time Nebraska hires a new coach as well - the new guy always says that he isn't sure that he wants to keep playing Creighton. All it means is that the coach is concerned that he'll lose.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » October 15th, 2010, 1:04 pm

The funny thing is that he said that with an insinuation that UNI or Drake was a drag on their schedule.

I'm pretty sure all of the MVC wins over Iowa the past five years haven't really been boosts to anyone's resume.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball