17%
Rice - Drake
14%
Scheer - Missouri State
7%

Total votes : 72

Re: Official MVCfans.com Prediction - Newcomer of the Year

Postby underdawg » October 20th, 2010, 11:49 am

6'7" SF Mamadou Seck a new JUCo from SIC---can handle, slash and play defense gets a vote from me and Devonte Drinkard 6'8" 230 pound true freshman who will back up both Teague at 5 spot and Fay at 4 spot (so will Seck)
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 20th, 2010, 12:25 pm

beatingrillz wrote:It is really sad that a bottom dweller Big East school has a transfer and the CU homers and the Pope think he is the anointed one of the valley. Give me a break he will be good but i dont think he will even be an all valley player this season

Anointed one?
All Valley?

This thread is about Newcomer of the Year, not All Valley team. I don't think it is a stretch to think he has a chance for newcomer of the year, but if saying such means that he is the "Anointed One", then so be it...

By the way, did you know that when GE announced that he wanted to transfer from Rutgers, he had an offer from Duke on the table? He ultimately limited his options to Creighton or Duke which is pretty cool IMO and another reason CU fans are excited (He chose CU because of a family relationship with Altman). I don't think that CU fans are predicting a conference title or anything like that because of GE.

Pope smack is pretty weak. In fact, any religious smack is pretty weak.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shockem » October 21st, 2010, 8:00 am

I haven't seen Echenique play, but the situation seems eerily similar to the AJ Hawkins situation a few years back. Excellent player from lower level school, expected to dominate his junior and senior seasons. Maybe a quick refesher from this article will open some eyes....

http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticle.d ... LID=897092
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoValley John » October 21st, 2010, 9:51 am

shockem wrote:I haven't seen Echenique play, but the situation seems eerily similar to the AJ Hawkins situation a few years back. Excellent player from lower level school, expected to dominate his junior and senior seasons. Maybe a quick refesher from this article will open some eyes....

http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticle.d ... LID=897092

I have been quite reserved about my judgement of Eshineque (sp) but I don't think the Hawkins situation and the Eschieque (sp) are very similar. While both were from down schools in another league, the A-10 and the Big East are not comparable and you are trying to compare a post player with a SG-SF wing type player. Lastly, and more importantly, if I recall right, as it turns out, much of Hakins problems stemmed from academics.

While coaches don't discuss individual athletes academic challenges, rumor had it that Hawkins wasn't developing on the court because he was struggling in the classroom. It wasn't his basketball skills that got him to OBU, it was his academics. As for Escheneqe (sp) he is apparently very strong in the academic department and that will not be a problem.

Also, I saw Hawkins play in person last year. While Houston Baptist was a very bad team, Hawkins was a bright spot and he looked like a guy that could play for any team in the Valley. He really wasn't a guy that didn't have the athletic skills to play at this level, he did.

Whether or not Escheneque (sp!) turns out to be anything remains to be seen, but I just dfon't see the similarities between he and Hawkins. Different skill sets, different academics, different situations completely. A better comparison might be Eshineqe (sp!!!) and Chad Millard. If Echeneqe perfoms to Chad Millard levels, Creighton fans are set up for a rude awakening.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Duan » October 21st, 2010, 10:12 am

MoValley John wrote: A better comparison might be Eshineqe (sp!!!) and Chad Millard. If Echeneqe perfoms to Chad Millard levels, Creighton fans are set up for a rude awakening.

I think that you hit the nail on the head! That is exactly how CU fans would feel... and did feel with Millard. Here's to hoping that doesn't happen again! :)
Duan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Shox21 » October 21st, 2010, 2:03 pm

Going to profess my ignorance here. I just want to get this straight. The "newcomer of the year" is just ANY player that is in the Valley for the first time? In other words, someone can play D1 ball at a school in another league for three years, transfer, sit out one year, and then play his last year of eligibility in the Valley and still qualify for "Newcomer" of the year? I would say that's quite a leg up on the Juco guys or the true Freshmen coming in -- an possibly a bit unfair.
Shox21
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby DUBulldog » October 21st, 2010, 2:12 pm

Shox21 wrote:Going to profess my ignorance here. I just want to get this straight. The "newcomer of the year" is just ANY player that is in the Valley for the first time? In other words, someone can play D1 ball at a school in another league for three years, transfer, sit out one year, and then play his last year of eligibility in the Valley and still qualify for "Newcomer" of the year?

Yep, anybody who is playing for an MVC team for the first time is eligible for this award.

Shox21 wrote:I would say that's quite a leg up on the Juco guys or the true Freshmen coming in -- an possibly a bit unfair.

Not really unfair. That's why they have a separate award for "Freshman of the Year"
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Shox21 » October 21st, 2010, 3:25 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
Shox21 wrote:Going to profess my ignorance here. I just want to get this straight. The "newcomer of the year" is just ANY player that is in the Valley for the first time? In other words, someone can play D1 ball at a school in another league for three years, transfer, sit out one year, and then play his last year of eligibility in the Valley and still qualify for "Newcomer" of the year?

Yep, anybody who is playing for an MVC team for the first time is eligible for this award.

Shox21 wrote:I would say that's quite a leg up on the Juco guys or the true Freshmen coming in -- an possibly a bit unfair.

Not really unfair. That's why they have a separate award for "Freshman of the Year"

Are you saying that the Freshmen are not eligible for the "Newcomer" award, or that they have a crack at both the "Newcomer" and the "Freshman" award?
Last edited by DUBulldog on October 21st, 2010, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix broken quote
Shox21
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby jayball » October 21st, 2010, 3:45 pm

Shox21 wrote:Going to profess my ignorance here. I just want to get this straight. The "newcomer of the year" is just ANY player that is in the Valley for the first time? In other words, someone can play D1 ball at a school in another league for three years, transfer, sit out one year, and then play his last year of eligibility in the Valley and still qualify for "Newcomer" of the year? I would say that's quite a leg up on the Juco guys or the true Freshmen coming in -- an possibly a bit unfair.

I don't get it. There is a freshman of the year award for freshman and a newcommer of the year award. The list below seems to show a pretty good mix of guys winning.

adam leonard -- transfer eastern Kentucky
champ oguchi -- transfer Oregon
Stinnett -- Frosh (dual NOY FOY)
spencer laurie -- transfer Mizzou
Nick Porter -- Juco
lorenzo gordon -- juco
Marcellus sommerville -- redshirted at Iowa/then played juco 1 yr/then Bradley
aaron hogg -- juco
rolan roberts -- transfer VTech
Mike Wallace --Juco
Kent Williams -- Frosh (dual FOY NOY)
Tarise Bryson -- nonqualifier/Frosh
Chris Thunnel -- transfer Fla Int
Danny Mooore -- transfer Miami OH
Rodney Buford -- Freshman (dual FOY NOY)
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DUBulldog » October 21st, 2010, 3:46 pm

Shox21 wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:

Are you saying that the Freshmen are not eligible for the "Newcomer" award, or that they have a crack at both the "Newcomer" and the "Freshman" award?

Theye have a crack at both the Freshman and Newcomer awards.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball