17%
Rice - Drake
14%
Scheer - Missouri State
7%

Total votes : 72

Re: Official MVCfans.com Prediction - Newcomer of the Year

Postby Duan » October 21st, 2010, 10:12 am

MoValley John wrote: A better comparison might be Eshineqe (sp!!!) and Chad Millard. If Echeneqe perfoms to Chad Millard levels, Creighton fans are set up for a rude awakening.

I think that you hit the nail on the head! That is exactly how CU fans would feel... and did feel with Millard. Here's to hoping that doesn't happen again! :)
Duan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Shox21 » October 21st, 2010, 2:03 pm

Going to profess my ignorance here. I just want to get this straight. The "newcomer of the year" is just ANY player that is in the Valley for the first time? In other words, someone can play D1 ball at a school in another league for three years, transfer, sit out one year, and then play his last year of eligibility in the Valley and still qualify for "Newcomer" of the year? I would say that's quite a leg up on the Juco guys or the true Freshmen coming in -- an possibly a bit unfair.
Shox21
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby DUBulldog » October 21st, 2010, 2:12 pm

Shox21 wrote:Going to profess my ignorance here. I just want to get this straight. The "newcomer of the year" is just ANY player that is in the Valley for the first time? In other words, someone can play D1 ball at a school in another league for three years, transfer, sit out one year, and then play his last year of eligibility in the Valley and still qualify for "Newcomer" of the year?

Yep, anybody who is playing for an MVC team for the first time is eligible for this award.

Shox21 wrote:I would say that's quite a leg up on the Juco guys or the true Freshmen coming in -- an possibly a bit unfair.

Not really unfair. That's why they have a separate award for "Freshman of the Year"
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Shox21 » October 21st, 2010, 3:25 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
Shox21 wrote:Going to profess my ignorance here. I just want to get this straight. The "newcomer of the year" is just ANY player that is in the Valley for the first time? In other words, someone can play D1 ball at a school in another league for three years, transfer, sit out one year, and then play his last year of eligibility in the Valley and still qualify for "Newcomer" of the year?

Yep, anybody who is playing for an MVC team for the first time is eligible for this award.

Shox21 wrote:I would say that's quite a leg up on the Juco guys or the true Freshmen coming in -- an possibly a bit unfair.

Not really unfair. That's why they have a separate award for "Freshman of the Year"

Are you saying that the Freshmen are not eligible for the "Newcomer" award, or that they have a crack at both the "Newcomer" and the "Freshman" award?
Last edited by DUBulldog on October 21st, 2010, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix broken quote
Shox21
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby jayball » October 21st, 2010, 3:45 pm

Shox21 wrote:Going to profess my ignorance here. I just want to get this straight. The "newcomer of the year" is just ANY player that is in the Valley for the first time? In other words, someone can play D1 ball at a school in another league for three years, transfer, sit out one year, and then play his last year of eligibility in the Valley and still qualify for "Newcomer" of the year? I would say that's quite a leg up on the Juco guys or the true Freshmen coming in -- an possibly a bit unfair.

I don't get it. There is a freshman of the year award for freshman and a newcommer of the year award. The list below seems to show a pretty good mix of guys winning.

adam leonard -- transfer eastern Kentucky
champ oguchi -- transfer Oregon
Stinnett -- Frosh (dual NOY FOY)
spencer laurie -- transfer Mizzou
Nick Porter -- Juco
lorenzo gordon -- juco
Marcellus sommerville -- redshirted at Iowa/then played juco 1 yr/then Bradley
aaron hogg -- juco
rolan roberts -- transfer VTech
Mike Wallace --Juco
Kent Williams -- Frosh (dual FOY NOY)
Tarise Bryson -- nonqualifier/Frosh
Chris Thunnel -- transfer Fla Int
Danny Mooore -- transfer Miami OH
Rodney Buford -- Freshman (dual FOY NOY)
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DUBulldog » October 21st, 2010, 3:46 pm

Shox21 wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:

Are you saying that the Freshmen are not eligible for the "Newcomer" award, or that they have a crack at both the "Newcomer" and the "Freshman" award?

Theye have a crack at both the Freshman and Newcomer awards.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 22nd, 2010, 7:31 am

DUBulldog wrote:Theye have a crack at both the Freshman and Newcomer awards.

It has happened before. Most recently, everyone's favorite, P'Allen, won them both.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Shox21 » October 22nd, 2010, 7:55 am

Got it guys. I actually understand it now. Thanks for the info.
Shox21
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby MVCfans » October 22nd, 2010, 3:23 pm

We'll make it official - MVCfans.com Prediction for 2010-2011 mens basketball Newcomer of the Year is Gregory Echenique of Creighton.

The only remaining poll is the Player of the Year. I will leave the voting open until Monday at 5pm.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball