Shocker Madness

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Shocker Madness

Postby Aargh » October 16th, 2010, 10:09 pm

I will attempt to curb my enthuisiasm, but that's going to be difficult.

It's only an unorganized scrimmage, but I believe the team I saw tonight would beat the team I saw a year ago by about 20 points.

If tonight is an indication of how the season is going to go...

...you will be referring to WSU's post player as Mr. Stutz before the season is over. Any resemblance to gangly, awkward, or clumsy is gone. Stutz is my current pick for POY. The improvement over last year is huge.

...Gabe Blair will get some votes for most improved player in the league. He was everywhere and doing everything. Boards, D, scoring, passing, setting picks -- no 3's, but other than that a very complete game.

...PG play will be a strength, not a weakness. Both Demetric Williams and Joe Ragland had good scrimmages. Williams showed he can slash and finish at the hoop well above the rim. Ragland showed some great passing ability and won the 3-point shooting contest.

Other observations:

Ben Smith, Hatch's backup at wing, is a 6'5" skywalker. I didn't see any evidence of his 40% shooting from 3 in JuCo. A 41" vertical would let him hit is head on the rim. I believe he's got it.

Speed, speed, quickness. This is probably the fastest and quickest team I've ever seen at WSU and I'm an old fart. Stutz and Durley are the only guys on the team without great foot speed, and Marshall plans to use them as the trailers in transition, since they both have shooting range past the 3-pt. line. Marshall also plans to run more this year and intends to use WSU's depth to wear opponents down. The Shox are incredibly quick and fasr.

Orukpe. Don't worry about him this year. Next year - worry. He's improved since JuCo, but probably still needs a year. He's a human wall and can get to some shots for blocks that you'd never think he could get to.

The D was aggressive and "in your face". That's rare at a scrimmage. Nothing was uncontested. WSU may foul some with that intensity of D, but a deep bench allows that. WSU was playing the kind of D SIU used to play - and WSU was doing it with front court players instead of just defending the perimeter.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Shocker Madness

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Shocker Madness

Postby valleychamp » October 16th, 2010, 10:14 pm

crown 'em.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » October 16th, 2010, 10:29 pm

valleychamp wrote:crown 'em.

That was totally necessary.

How was UNI's madness event?
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby whiteandtheblue » October 16th, 2010, 10:37 pm

Stutz- POY for WSU or for the Valley??

Who looks to the be the starting PG, Williams or Ragland?
whiteandtheblue
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Aargh » October 17th, 2010, 12:24 am

If WSU wins the Valley, the POY for WSU is the POY for the Valley.

Stutz looked like a legitimate NBA prospect tonight. Please notice I said prospect. He showed some moves on both offense and defense that he's had before, but tonight he was doing them quick enough and well enough that he was very effective with them. Stutz could be very difficult to handle. I'm looking forward to watching him and Echinique go at it. That should be some of the best post play the Valley has seen in many years.

There's no way to predict whether Ragland or Williams will start. Williams knows the system and the players. Ragland is a better shooter. Probably a better passer. We've got some battles for minutes going on in the front court. Stutz, Durley, and Blair are all looking like starters and Ellis has been a starter.

I think the practice time competition for PT at PG is going to be more intense and unpredictable than in the front court.

Ragland has been called a larger, quicker version of Hannah. I saw nothing that would indicate that's wrong. The difference in the two is likely to be that Hannah was ready, willing, and able to take the scorng load if that's what was needed. I haven't seen (yet) thatRagland has that same attitude.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby snoopj » October 17th, 2010, 7:54 am

Aargh wrote:Stutz looked like a legitimate NBA prospect tonight. Please notice I said prospect. He showed some moves on both offense and defense that he's had before, but tonight he was doing them quick enough and well enough that he was very effective with them. Stutz could be very difficult to handle. I'm looking forward to watching him and Echinique go at it. That should be some of the best post play the Valley has seen in many years.

That will be nice to see. I think one of the keys to this season for WSU is Stutz taking it to the next level.
University of Northern Iowa Class of 2000....however, an overall fan of the Missouri Valley Conference.
snoopj
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby havoc » October 17th, 2010, 8:25 am

Aargh wrote:
Ben Smith, Hatch's backup at wing, is a 6'5" skywalker. I didn't see any evidence of his 40% shooting from 3 in JuCo. A 41" vertical would let him hit is head on the rim.

Actually, no it wouldn't. Last time I checked, the rim is at 10', not 9'10".
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MVCfans » October 17th, 2010, 9:47 am

havoc wrote:
Aargh wrote:
Ben Smith, Hatch's backup at wing, is a 6'5" skywalker. I didn't see any evidence of his 40% shooting from 3 in JuCo. A 41" vertical would let him hit is head on the rim.

Actually, no it wouldn't. Last time I checked, the rim is at 10', not 9'10".

It's a good point, unless you've got Coffee Black's 'fro.

MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby MoValley John » October 17th, 2010, 10:35 am

WSUbballer wrote:
valleychamp wrote:crown 'em.

That was totally necessary.

I disagree. Totally not necessary. The proper response would have been Crown their ass.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » October 17th, 2010, 10:37 am

You can't see enough of Dennis Green. Period.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball