10%
Other - Please specifiy your selection below
7%

Total votes : 87

Re: Official MVCfans.com Prediction - MVC Player of the Year

Postby Little Eddie » October 21st, 2010, 7:22 am

ISU Hoopsfan wrote:
Little Eddie wrote:
I would have put in Dwayne Lathan as the possible POY for Indy St...he's their best player in my opinion. I don't see Kelly being much more than a serviceable starter for the Syc's this year. Lathan showed that he has the ability to take over games even while injured...I think he scored 17 points in their last game pretty much w/out the use of his left hand which was injured.

I agree about Dwayne Lathan's potential; however, I think Little Eddie's way off the mark with Kelly. Last time Kelly played point guard (which I think he's going to do for ISU this year), he was the Big Ten's leading scorer over the 7 games he played at that position and earned Big Ten Player-of-the-Week honors twice in three weeks. I have seen him many times over the years and Kelly's a totally different player when the ball is in his hands, but he didn't get a chance to play point last year at all before the torn ACL.

Um...okay...we'll agree to disagree. I'd love for Jake to prove me wrong I can tell you that but I don't see him being a threat for being 1st or 2nd team all Valley let alone POY.
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ISU Hoopsfan » October 21st, 2010, 8:41 am

Little Eddie wrote:
ISU Hoopsfan wrote:
Little Eddie wrote:
I would have put in Dwayne Lathan as the possible POY for Indy St...he's their best player in my opinion. I don't see Kelly being much more than a serviceable starter for the Syc's this year. Lathan showed that he has the ability to take over games even while injured...I think he scored 17 points in their last game pretty much w/out the use of his left hand which was injured.

I agree about Dwayne Lathan's potential; however, I think Little Eddie's way off the mark with Kelly. Last time Kelly played point guard (which I think he's going to do for ISU this year), he was the Big Ten's leading scorer over the 7 games he played at that position and earned Big Ten Player-of-the-Week honors twice in three weeks. I have seen him many times over the years and Kelly's a totally different player when the ball is in his hands, but he didn't get a chance to play point last year at all before the torn ACL.

Um...okay...we'll agree to disagree. I'd love for Jake to prove me wrong I can tell you that but I don't see him being a threat for being 1st or 2nd team all Valley let alone POY.

So 2 years after being one of the top players in the Big Ten (and being Honorable Mention All-Big Ten after playing only 2 months at point guard and doubling his stats), Kelly's not even a threat to be 1st or 2nd team all-Valley if he plays all year at that position????
ISU Hoopsfan
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Little Eddie » October 21st, 2010, 9:06 am

Not with the team he's on...he's going to share the spotlight with others which I think will diminish his all around numbers. If he was on Evansville, Drake or SIU I'd probably be singing a different tune as he'd likely be more of a go to guy. But w/ guys like Lathan, Richard, Printy and Carter contributing on the offensive end I just don't see how he accumulates numbers that would garner All Valley consideration.

Now I'm not saying he's incapable either...the guy has loads of talent...I watched every game he played last year and I saw a guy that appeared to be forcing the issue a lot...this often led to turnovers via a carrying call or a charge. This was when the "ball was in his hands"...if he settles down and takes what's given to him, he could be a very special player, I'm thinking 12 pts and 8 assists/game. That remains to be seen though.

Again, I hope he proves me wrong...I have nothing against him at all. I know of his work ethic and my bro always spoke highly of him in the past...said he was NBA caliber player even. We'll see how it play out...
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby TylerDurden » October 21st, 2010, 9:07 am

ISU Hoopsfan wrote:So 2 years after being one of the top players in the Big Ten (and being Honorable Mention All-Big Ten after playing only 2 months at point guard and doubling his stats), Kelly's not even a threat to be 1st or 2nd team all-Valley if he plays all year at that position????

HM does not equal one of the top players. It equals being one of the best on a terrible Iowa team and the coaches/media throwing them a bone.

I do think he could challenge for all-MVC, however.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby musiccitybulldog » October 21st, 2010, 6:39 pm

SubGod22 wrote:
underdawg wrote:Seems like a lot of Dis on SIU in this board. Fay will be among the scoring leaders for the MVC---probably won't win unless his team picks up--but should have been listed.

Do you really see Fay as that type of player? I just don't see him being the go to type of guy. He's a very good player who fills a role but I'm not sure that's the one. Obviously you've seen him play more than I and I'm not trying to belittle anyone. He's just never struck me as the one you can ride every game.

I would throw Fay in the mix. I read on a Saluki site he scored 20+ points each of the last 4 games last year. Plus it seems he can be very scrapy and hit some three's at opportune times. From times I have seen him play he can step up at the end of games and put SIU in position to win. Fays point average was as much or more as some others leading on the list.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » October 21st, 2010, 10:46 pm

I have trouble comprehending even SIU fans touting Fay for All-Valley. Second team is even a stretch, although he might get that as sort of a "lifetime achievement" award.

If Fay can average 13 points, 6 boards, and a block - then I'd have to think that Gabe Blair (WSU's apparent 6th man) would be able to average 16, 9, and 3 playing with the same group Fay is playing with.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pawball » October 22nd, 2010, 12:43 am

I believe Ricks from MSU will emerge, eventually, as the most influential player in the conference.
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby dgreenwell3 » October 22nd, 2010, 11:14 am

little Eddie,
Werent you one of Kelly's biggest proponents when your bro was with the Sycs...I don't think he will be POY because I think the Sycs will spread the ball around...
dgreenwell3
MVC Victory Cigar
MVC Victory Cigar

Postby Little Eddie » October 22nd, 2010, 6:20 pm

I trust my bro's b-ball judgment more than anyone...and he was a big fan of Jake and his work ethic...he felt that there was definitely a possibility for Jake to make it in the NBA. I feel as if Jake was on the verge of figuring out his place on the team last year and was about to start making some noise. In the SIU game he was being more assertive and defintely showing signs of coming out of his little funk...but that's when the injury came. Prior to that I really felt as if he was prone to turning the ball over via the carry or the offensive foul...I'm guessing from maybe trying to do too much?

I still like the kid alot but I think you reitterate my feelings as ISU will likely spread the ball around giving Kelly less opportunities to put up POY numbers...he could sneak into 2nd team if he really excels at getting assists...low double digit points is what I'm thinking...I'd like to see about 7 assists a game as well to go w/ that. It remains to be seen.
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby WSUbballer » October 22nd, 2010, 11:12 pm

Did I just see some more Kelly-NBA talk? :shock:
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball