Stutz - Wichita State
10%
Other - Please specifiy your selection below
7%

Total votes : 87

Re: Official MVCfans.com Prediction - MVC Player of the Year

Postby WuDrWu » October 20th, 2010, 10:43 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Aargh wrote:The strategy with CU is to play physical and trade fouls. When Stutz, Durley, Lawson and Echinique foul out, WSU is left with Blair, Ellis, and Orukpe if needed. CU is left with the sounds of crickets in the Qwiet Center.

The crickets are named Wragge, McDermott and Runnels.

My concern is not with the posts, it is with our guards. I never thought I would say such a thing about a team of Altman recruits.

Wragge is totally incapable of guarding anyone of size. That is assuming his defense has improved dramatically from last year when he couldn't guard anyone at all. Runnels is a nice player who will fight, but is undersized. McDermott looks to have a solid game but freshman post player usually struggle on the defensive end of the court. Not always, but usually. McDermott appears to have the talent that could buck that trend. Wragge brings a lot to the offensive end of the court and McDermott appears to be very capable as well although I suspect he'll find the grind of the regular season slightly tougher than high school.

My concerns about WSU is the ability to make jumpers. I suspect we'll see a lot of zone, and if we can't make open jumpers we will not be terribly successful. That is certainly a concern of mine.
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby underdawg » October 20th, 2010, 12:25 pm

Seems like a lot of Dis on SIU in this board. Fay will be among the scoring leaders for the MVC---probably won't win unless his team picks up--but should have been listed.
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 20th, 2010, 12:29 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:I have a player of the year question. Was there ever a Freshman as Player of the Year?
I think I can remember some transfers being selected.

Never is a pretty long time, but I certainly don't remember one recently. Heck very few Freshmen even make ALL-MVC teams recently, let alone POY. If I'm not mistaken the last frosh to make an ALL-MVC squad was Stinnett (and I believe that may have been second team).

Rice should aim for all conference first. He can worry about POY next season. :roll:
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » October 20th, 2010, 12:31 pm

underdawg wrote:Seems like a lot of Dis on SIU in this board. Fay will be among the scoring leaders for the MVC---probably won't win unless his team picks up--but should have been listed.

Do you really see Fay as that type of player? I just don't see him being the go to type of guy. He's a very good player who fills a role but I'm not sure that's the one. Obviously you've seen him play more than I and I'm not trying to belittle anyone. He's just never struck me as the one you can ride every game.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 20th, 2010, 12:35 pm

WuDrWu wrote:Wragge is totally incapable of guarding anyone of size. That is assuming his defense has improved dramatically from last year when he couldn't guard anyone at all.

Size wasn't the issue as much as mobility. Ethan wasn't exactly cat quick. He struggled a lot more with a 6'5 guy that was athletic than he did with a big guy who wasn't as athletic.

I agree with you about WSU's shooting. Strange as it seems, CU and WSU have the same strengths and same weaknesses this year. Guard play will certainly determine how successful each teams does as the bigs will draw double teams, leaving some open shooters. Can they knock down the shots?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ISU Hoopsfan » October 20th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Little Eddie wrote:
I would have put in Dwayne Lathan as the possible POY for Indy St...he's their best player in my opinion. I don't see Kelly being much more than a serviceable starter for the Syc's this year. Lathan showed that he has the ability to take over games even while injured...I think he scored 17 points in their last game pretty much w/out the use of his left hand which was injured.

I agree about Dwayne Lathan's potential; however, I think Little Eddie's way off the mark with Kelly. Last time Kelly played point guard (which I think he's going to do for ISU this year), he was the Big Ten's leading scorer over the 7 games he played at that position and earned Big Ten Player-of-the-Week honors twice in three weeks. I have seen him many times over the years and Kelly's a totally different player when the ball is in his hands, but he didn't get a chance to play point last year at all before the torn ACL.
ISU Hoopsfan
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Little Eddie » October 21st, 2010, 7:22 am

ISU Hoopsfan wrote:
Little Eddie wrote:
I would have put in Dwayne Lathan as the possible POY for Indy St...he's their best player in my opinion. I don't see Kelly being much more than a serviceable starter for the Syc's this year. Lathan showed that he has the ability to take over games even while injured...I think he scored 17 points in their last game pretty much w/out the use of his left hand which was injured.

I agree about Dwayne Lathan's potential; however, I think Little Eddie's way off the mark with Kelly. Last time Kelly played point guard (which I think he's going to do for ISU this year), he was the Big Ten's leading scorer over the 7 games he played at that position and earned Big Ten Player-of-the-Week honors twice in three weeks. I have seen him many times over the years and Kelly's a totally different player when the ball is in his hands, but he didn't get a chance to play point last year at all before the torn ACL.

Um...okay...we'll agree to disagree. I'd love for Jake to prove me wrong I can tell you that but I don't see him being a threat for being 1st or 2nd team all Valley let alone POY.
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby ISU Hoopsfan » October 21st, 2010, 8:41 am

Little Eddie wrote:
ISU Hoopsfan wrote:
Little Eddie wrote:

Um...okay...we'll agree to disagree. I'd love for Jake to prove me wrong I can tell you that but I don't see him being a threat for being 1st or 2nd team all Valley let alone POY.

So 2 years after being one of the top players in the Big Ten (and being Honorable Mention All-Big Ten after playing only 2 months at point guard and doubling his stats), Kelly's not even a threat to be 1st or 2nd team all-Valley if he plays all year at that position????
ISU Hoopsfan
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Little Eddie » October 21st, 2010, 9:06 am

Not with the team he's on...he's going to share the spotlight with others which I think will diminish his all around numbers. If he was on Evansville, Drake or SIU I'd probably be singing a different tune as he'd likely be more of a go to guy. But w/ guys like Lathan, Richard, Printy and Carter contributing on the offensive end I just don't see how he accumulates numbers that would garner All Valley consideration.

Now I'm not saying he's incapable either...the guy has loads of talent...I watched every game he played last year and I saw a guy that appeared to be forcing the issue a lot...this often led to turnovers via a carrying call or a charge. This was when the "ball was in his hands"...if he settles down and takes what's given to him, he could be a very special player, I'm thinking 12 pts and 8 assists/game. That remains to be seen though.

Again, I hope he proves me wrong...I have nothing against him at all. I know of his work ethic and my bro always spoke highly of him in the past...said he was NBA caliber player even. We'll see how it play out...
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby TylerDurden » October 21st, 2010, 9:07 am

ISU Hoopsfan wrote:So 2 years after being one of the top players in the Big Ten (and being Honorable Mention All-Big Ten after playing only 2 months at point guard and doubling his stats), Kelly's not even a threat to be 1st or 2nd team all-Valley if he plays all year at that position????

HM does not equal one of the top players. It equals being one of the best on a terrible Iowa team and the coaches/media throwing them a bone.

I do think he could challenge for all-MVC, however.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball