Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Postby AndShock » March 20th, 2016, 2:59 pm

glm38 wrote:Wonderful and historic careers for both these guys.

I do wonder what's next for them. Will the NBA come calling? European basketball? You have to think it's one or the other for both.

These guys have their eyes set on the real deal so I'm guessing they'll go D-League if they don't make it to the NBA out of college. Way more money in Europe but the D-league has an easier path.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby 2livewu » October 21st, 2016, 9:41 pm

Hey I saw where Gavin Thurman signed to play professionally for the Orangeville As of the NBL of Canada.

And in case you missed it, the New York Knicks of the NBA (USA) ate a million dollar contract so as to clear room to sign Ron Baker.

Congrats to both young men !
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » October 22nd, 2016, 3:37 pm

Now it's been announced that VanVleet will be on the Raptors 15-man roster on opening day. He made the cut out of training camp.

I sold these guys short when I started the thread. I should have predicted (before they ever played a game) that they were 2 future NBA players, but I like to be cautious with my hype of players.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSpringsBird » October 22nd, 2016, 3:54 pm

Aargh wrote:Now it's been announced that VanVleet will be on the Raptors 15-man roster on opening day. He made the cut out of training camp.

I sold these guys short when I started the thread. I should have predicted (before they ever played a game) that they were 2 future NBA players, but I like to be cautious with my hype of players.

Great to see!
WSpringsBird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Stickboy46 » January 16th, 2017, 11:52 am

Baker is starting today for the Knicks at noon on NBA TV.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 16th, 2017, 12:06 pm

Stickboy46 wrote:Baker is starting today for the Knicks at noon on NBA TV.

Just like you Shocker fans... always bringing up the past.... ;) ;) ;)

This is awesome to see. Glad they're both doing well and hopefully they can take advantage of the situations they are in. Great for the Valley and Wichita!

:Cheers:
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » January 16th, 2017, 7:03 pm

I think Baker had 12 points in his first start. That's a great start.

On a humorous note Ron's nickname on the Knicks is evidently "Burgundy". :D

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/01/knicks- ... -ron-baker
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Play Angry » January 17th, 2017, 10:39 am

Didn't see it mentioned earlier - Ron and Fred both received confirmation earlier this month that their contracts have been guaranteed, which means they will receive the full season's salary regardless of whether they remain on the 15 man roster the rest of the season.

Ron continues to claw playing time away from Courtney Lee and the other Knicks guards. Fred is biding his time until an opportunity arises while seeing only occasional minutes so far.

Pretty amazing accomplishment and a very cool experience for both players.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 17th, 2017, 10:45 am

Play Angry wrote:Didn't see it mentioned earlier - Ron and Fred both received confirmation earlier this month that their contracts have been guaranteed, which means they will receive the full season's salary regardless of whether they remain on the 15 man roster the rest of the season.

Ron continues to claw playing time away from Courtney Lee and the other Knicks guards. Fred is biding his time until an opportunity arises while seeing only occasional minutes so far.

Pretty amazing accomplishment and a very cool experience for both players.

It's funny how much an NBA Draft is picked based solely off potential, but when push comes to shove, those consistent 4 years guys with a great track record (Baker/FVV) tend to find a mold within an NBA roster.

Never will they be stars, but you need those types surrounding your stars to be successful.

Good for both of them.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 17th, 2017, 11:50 am

Welp. No one can ever say he was a career backup. Pretty cool. I hope they both make serious bank.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball