Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Aargh » November 7th, 2012, 12:45 am

I just thought I'd mention those two Fr to start MVCFans being tired of hearing those names for the next 4 years.

You may doubt my words this year. VanVleet is playing behind Armstead and Baker is playing behind Williams.

If there has ever been a better pair of Fr guards in the Valley it would go back to the days of SIU's glory and Brooks and Tatum and some of their teammates.

Neither one of those guys may make the all-Fr team because, unlike other MVC teams, WSU has no immediate need to play outstanding Fr., but by the time Baker and VanVleet graduate, you will be totally tired of hearing their names.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 7th, 2012, 5:55 am

So far, Van Vleet is averaging a foul every 2.5 minutes he is on the court and those were incurred against a D2 team. That would keep him off the floor for MVC schools that value avoiding fouls (Creighton, UNI, etc.). It isn't WSU's depth that will keep him off the floor; his propensity to foul often is what will keep him off the floor. No doubt, though, that he is the chosen one. :bounce:

So far, I'm pretty pleased with what I've seen from Creighton's new freshman, and Deontae "Teddy" Hawkins' best friend, Andre Yates.
Last edited by DoubleJayAlum on November 7th, 2012, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » November 7th, 2012, 6:34 am

I'd bet a beer or two in St. Louis 4 years from now, that the names Thurman and Marshall will have caused much more opponent angst than Baker and Van Fleet.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » November 7th, 2012, 10:03 am

BEARZ77 wrote:I'd bet a beer or two in St. Louis 4 years from now, that the names Thurman and Marshall will have caused much more opponent angst than Baker and Van Fleet.

Who is Thurman? Gavin?

I already know Coach Marshall.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CBB_Fan » November 7th, 2012, 10:06 am

It is too bad Evan Wessel didn't redshirt last year. Wichita State would have its backcourt set for the next 4 years, and they'd be scary by the time they were seniors.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SHOXMVC » November 7th, 2012, 3:40 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:I'd bet a beer or two in St. Louis 4 years from now, that the names Thurman and Marshall will have caused much more opponent angst than Baker and Van Fleet.

Not sure what a Blue Moon will cost you in 4 years, but hopefully you are a person of your word...I'll be the one looking thirsty.

:Beer:
SHOXMVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby C0|db|00ded » November 7th, 2012, 4:24 pm

FVV will be a very good guard in time. Baker "the maker" has seemed shockingly good to me. I think he's a better Graham Hatch. He's very strong and athletic for a white guy. During a breakaway, he received the outlet pass and jammed the ball home one-handed with authority. He's only 6'3". He can also fill it up in bunches.

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » November 7th, 2012, 7:53 pm

SHOXMVC wrote:

Not sure what a Blue Moon will cost you in 4 years, but hopefully you are a person of your word...I'll be the one looking thirsty.

:Beer:

Definitely a man of my word and wouldn't have much respect for anyone who hedged on a Beer bet; but I'm not too worried about having to buy. I'm sure all 4 will have excellent careers, but I see the two Bears as program foundation type players. Should be interesting to trace; alot happens in 4 years.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shockem » November 7th, 2012, 8:31 pm

i had a feeling thurman would make us pay for not offering him a scholaship. the next johnny murdock is gonna be a thorn in our side.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » November 7th, 2012, 9:32 pm

shockem wrote:i had a feeling thurman would make us pay for not offering him a scholaship. the next johnny murdock is gonna be a thorn in our side.

According to Gavin himself and every report I've seen WSU did offer.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blog ... n&id=61350
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball