Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 1st, 2016, 2:11 pm

Stickboy46 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
Championz wrote:You should practice your own advice.

Ready for the Super Bowl on Saturday?

You're going to show up a day early to your Super Bowl party, Champ.
Everyone knows the Super Bowl isn't until Sunday.

Tell that to the sell-out crowds that show up for WSU road games, then never appear again ....

Doubtful we sell out Saturday with a 9pm start. Too late for the gray hairs...
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Rollbird5 » February 1st, 2016, 2:11 pm

Maybe the key to beating them is to have an empty arena since the sell-outs don't do the trick
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » February 1st, 2016, 2:17 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:Maybe the key to beating them is to have an empty arena since the sell-outs don't do the trick

Its a bold move ... go for the completely empty stadium trick?
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » February 1st, 2016, 2:19 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:Maybe the key to beating them is to have an empty arena since the sell-outs don't do the trick

Honestly, at this point, I think the sellouts work more in WSU's favor than against them. WSU players are used to playing in sold-out arenas pretty much every game at this point, home and away. Other league teams just aren't, and I think it often does more harm than good. Next year, there could be a chance to see if there is a chink in the armor, after WSU loses some very steady and heady players, especially at the ball-handling positions. It's tough to rattle a team when the two primary ball-handlers just inbound the ball and go run their stuff like they're playing in a practice gym.

But frankly, I think the biggest problem is a disparity in talent.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » February 1st, 2016, 2:21 pm

mvcfan2 wrote:Doubtful we sell out Saturday with a 9pm start. Too late for the gray hairs...

Give out energy drinks. That was a lot of fun at the midnight game at WSU a couple of years ago. I was curious if/who all the blue-hairs would give their tickets to. Instead they just showed up themselves and rocked out.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 1st, 2016, 2:39 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
mvcfan2 wrote:Doubtful we sell out Saturday with a 9pm start. Too late for the gray hairs...

Give out energy drinks. That was a lot of fun at the midnight game at WSU a couple of years ago. I was curious if/who all the blue-hairs would give their tickets to. Instead they just showed up themselves and rocked out.

Good idea.

Also like the nobody shows up idea to throw WSU off their game, but for revenue generating purposes for the University that definitely won't happen.

Back to the topic -
FVV and Ron Baker have an amazing BBIQ. Watching yesterday against that press, if they didn't have the ball you were in trouble (not a good sign for next year), but when they did, timeouts were called/smart passes were made to break the press. It will be bizarro world on Saturday vs ISUr in that regard who are terrible at this across the board.

The announcer said Gregg Marshall could go home and FVV would be fine running the show without the head coach. A great compliment to FVV....something that doesn't show in the stats that unfortunately don't factor in determining things like "Best PG in the Country".
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ShoxNAwe » March 1st, 2016, 10:29 pm

Congrats to Ron and Fred for their individual awards. Well deserved. I believe it was said that this is the first time in the 109 years of the MVC that two players from the same team have been on the All MVC Team for three years. It would have been nice if the two could have shared the POY award, but there's no doubt that Fred is the straw that stirs the drink.
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby municup14 » March 2nd, 2016, 5:45 am

Congrats to these two,in a way im gld they are gone,but i did enjoy watching them play.
I was hoping Giddy was going to be POY,but he was rewarded for defensive POY.
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » March 2nd, 2016, 6:24 am

ShoxNAwe wrote:I believe it was said that this is the first time in the 109 years of the MVC that two players from the same team have been on the All MVC Team for three years.

First time that two guards were first team All-MVC. On three other occasions teammates were were All-MVC three times, with the last occasion being over 40 years ago (and the first being over 90 years ago). Those teams that also had the award: Missouri, Memphis, Louisville.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » March 19th, 2016, 12:53 pm

Sorry to see the Shocker's season end but what a 4 year run by Fred Van Vleet and Ron Baker.
Not only great players but even better representatives for the MVC. They always did it with hard effort, toughness and class. They also remained very humble despite the accolades and nationwide recognition they earned.
Congratulations Fred and Ron on an epic 4 year run and earning a spot among all the MVC greats!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball