Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Postby CBB_Fan » November 17th, 2013, 10:18 am

iSASO wrote:What an awful line for Baker today. I can understand why several of you don't get why everyone likes him.

Yeah, I hate when a player has an awful shooting night (2-10 FG, 1-5 3PT), and doesn't do anything else to make up for it. I mean, only 7 assists (0 TOs) and 8 rebounds? Only 2 steals? 0 blocks? Chump.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEARZ77 » November 17th, 2013, 10:49 am

Baker is no different than any other player in the league; accolades will come as he consistently plays at a high level. What has gotten the automatic gag reflex from many is the attempt to make him something he has yet to prove he is and the fact if you even mention an area of weakness you get snarling and gnashing of teeth beyond reason.

Let the kid have a great season, then you can promote the hell out of something that has been sustained rather than just hinted at.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » November 17th, 2013, 11:13 am

CBB_Fan wrote:
iSASO wrote:What an awful line for Baker today. I can understand why several of you don't get why everyone likes him.

Yeah, I hate when a player has an awful shooting night (2-10 FG, 1-5 3PT), and doesn't do anything else to make up for it. I mean, only 7 assists (0 TOs) and 8 rebounds? Only 2 steals? 0 blocks? Chump.

I'd be willing to bet most posters on this board recognize a player can have a horrendous shooting night like Baker and VF did in this one but still contribute in a lot of other ways. Bears fans for instance recognize that Keith Pickens might very well be our best all around player despite the fact that he's not a big scorer.

I've got a lot of respect for both of these players. Particularly Baker.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Black » November 17th, 2013, 1:10 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:Baker is no different than any other player in the league; accolades will come as he consistently plays at a high level. What has gotten the automatic gag reflex from many is the attempt to make him something he has yet to prove he is and the fact if you even mention an area of weakness you get snarling and gnashing of teeth beyond reason.

Let the kid have a great season, then you can promote the hell out of something that has been sustained rather than just hinted at.

What is a "great season" by your standards? Is an NCAA run to the Final Four not great enough for you?
Black
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » November 17th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Black wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:Baker is no different than any other player in the league; accolades will come as he consistently plays at a high level. What has gotten the automatic gag reflex from many is the attempt to make him something he has yet to prove he is and the fact if you even mention an area of weakness you get snarling and gnashing of teeth beyond reason.

What is a "great season" by your standards? Is an NCAA run to the Final Four not great enough for you?

We're talking individual play here; by that definition every player on every final 4 team is an All American. And that was last year; if he wants to be an All American he's gonna have to produce more than 11 ppg against cupcake competition on his home court. Every team has a couple of guys capable of that. And again I'm not dissing Baker, I'm just saying let the kid have a solid sophomore year, put up big numbers in some important games this year and he will get all the accolades he then deserves. How many times has he even scored more than 15 pts in a game ???
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Black » November 17th, 2013, 2:02 pm

If it's all about points, then I understand you then.

Gavin Thurman better pick it up.
Black
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » November 17th, 2013, 2:43 pm

Not really worried about Gavin cause I'm not on here trying to convince anyone he's all world. He probably is gonna play behind a couple seniors this year, we have that luxury right now. All I worry about is the Bears stringing wins together; right now it appears other than Marcus and Gulley it will be any 2-3 of another 7-8 players who will be in position to help any given night. Who'd of thought we'd get 20 from Dorrian Williams last night, but like Gavin he started a lot of games last year as a frosh and is now an experienced bench guy, along with Pickens/Scheer/Kirk/ Thurman. This is the deepest talent we had since we went to the sweet 16 and had guys like Phillips and Brakebill and Brandon Miller on the bench.

So no points aren't everything; I just think when you start hyping a guy as much as Baker is consistently by Shock fans, he better be dominant night in and out, not just a contributor. We've got a freshman guard averaging 10.5ppg and shooting 50% from the trey, but he's just a contributor until he does it a couple years. Hell a month from now he might not even be that big a contributor; the game takes care of itself and who are stars and who aren't.
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 17th, 2013, 2:52 pm

Ruder looks really good early in his career. Quick release!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » November 17th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Wufan wrote:Ruder looks really good early in his career. Quick release!

That's his strength and he can actually go to the hole pretty strong as well, but you know he's gotta learn to defend better, show he can handle the rock under pressure, and expand his game. But he adds a dimension we really needed with guys like Marshall and Gulley who like to slash. The guy on your team I keep waiting to really blossom is Wiggins; he should be a 12 ppg guy with his talent. He can shoot and he's athletic and long .
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Black » November 17th, 2013, 3:23 pm

Shocker fans aren't the only ones "hyping" Baker. National pundits are in love with him and rightfully so. There's not going to be too many people in love with players off 11-win teams. That's just a fact, even if it obviously rubs you the wrong way.

The reason Thurman was brought up was because of what you have said about him in this thread. You're trying to knock on Baker so now I'm bringing up Thurman and his 2.5 ppg. There were other threads around last year where Thurman was hyped by Bear fans so let's not act like this is just a WSU thing. I think WSU fans have some room to talk.
Black
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball