Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Postby BEARZ77 » November 17th, 2013, 4:01 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:glm1935 says Thurman is a star.

Could be in the right situation, but this year he's got three 5th year seniors playing in front of him. Gavin is very skilled, and I've no doubt is gonna have some big games this year, but his minutes will not be what they were last year. Just the way it is sometimes; I've no doubt he would start in a lot of situations elsewhere.

We've reached a point in Lusk's 3rd year where we have a bench full of guys who started quite a bit in previous years. I think that's what you hope for and expect as you establish your recruiting. We're starting 2 freshman a sophomore, and have other young talent getting better as we move forward. While I still think the jury is out on Lusks overall coaching, the guy has gone about building this program in the way we wanted with mostly HS kids we will have for 4 years and a juco or transfer here and there to fill needs. If we end up being good this year, we will be very good for the foreseeable future.

We have a great facility, state of the art learning center for athletes, the new locker rooms will be completed in the next week or two, and we just passed a petition that will pour 2-3 million more annually into facility improvements, all of which will just add to what we're getting done on the court in the next couple years.

This team is young and on it's way up, but we will be dangerous this year just the same.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby AndShock » November 17th, 2013, 6:31 pm

I can't believe Marshall backed off Thurman. That should have been a fireable offense.

Oh I forget, Marshall didn't back off. Thurman just picked Missouri State over us.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby iSASO » November 17th, 2013, 7:12 pm

AndShock wrote:I can't believe Marshall backed off Thurman. That should have been a fireable offense.

Oh I forget, Marshall didn't back off. Thurman just picked Missouri State over us.

Let's check in on this too in a couple of years:

Would MSU fans rather have any of the following instead of Thurman?

Cleanthony Early
Darius Carter
Shaq Morris
Derail Green
Zach Brown
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » November 17th, 2013, 8:11 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:Not really worried about Gavin cause I'm not on here trying to convince anyone he's all world. He probably is gonna play behind a couple seniors this year, we have that luxury right now. All I worry about is the Bears stringing wins together; right now it appears other than Marcus and Gulley it will be any 2-3 of another 7-8 players who will be in position to help any given night. Who'd of thought we'd get 20 from Dorrian Williams last night, but like Gavin he started a lot of games last year as a frosh and is now an experienced bench guy, along with Pickens/Scheer/Kirk/ Thurman. This is the deepest talent we had since we went to the sweet 16 and had guys like Phillips and Brakebill and Brandon Miller on the bench.

So no points aren't everything; I just think when you start hyping a guy as much as Baker is consistently by Shock fans, he better be dominant night in and out, not just a contributor. We've got a freshman guard averaging 10.5ppg and shooting 50% from the trey, but he's just a contributor until he does it a couple years. Hell a month from now he might not even be that big a contributor; the game takes care of itself and who are stars and who aren't.

glm1935 says Thurman is a star.

And just where did I say that? "Ton of potential" does not in any way equate to saying "he is a star". He has shown flashes of what he can do but I'll be the first to admit he is not a star yet. Not even close. And Bearz is right in that he's behind several older players and his PT may be limited this year.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby iSASO » November 20th, 2013, 9:16 pm

glm38 wrote:
Ricardo del Rio wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:Not really worried about Gavin cause I'm not on here trying to convince anyone he's all world. He probably is gonna play behind a couple seniors this year, we have that luxury right now. All I worry about is the Bears stringing wins together; right now it appears other than Marcus and Gulley it will be any 2-3 of another 7-8 players who will be in position to help any given night. Who'd of thought we'd get 20 from Dorrian Williams last night, but like Gavin he started a lot of games last year as a frosh and is now an experienced bench guy, along with Pickens/Scheer/Kirk/ Thurman. This is the deepest talent we had since we went to the sweet 16 and had guys like Phillips and Brakebill and Brandon Miller on the bench.

So no points aren't everything; I just think when you start hyping a guy as much as Baker is consistently by Shock fans, he better be dominant night in and out, not just a contributor. We've got a freshman guard averaging 10.5ppg and shooting 50% from the trey, but he's just a contributor until he does it a couple years. Hell a month from now he might not even be that big a contributor; the game takes care of itself and who are stars and who aren't.

glm1935 says Thurman is a star.

And just where did I say that? "Ton of potential" does not in any way equate to saying "he is a star". He has shown flashes of what he can do but I'll be the first to admit he is not a star yet. Not even close. And Bearz is right in that he's behind several older players and his PT may be limited this year.

Baker and VanVleet each score 21 against Tulsa, in a blowout at Tulsa. Not too shabby for a pair of sophs.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Black » November 20th, 2013, 9:31 pm

This thread will be even more amusing when it's all said and done.
Black
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mvcfan » November 20th, 2013, 9:45 pm

I won't run down anyone else's players. Marshall is a very nice player and Thurman is a very athletic player who has to prove that he can play basketball at a very high level.

I will say that at the end of the year, hopefully the players who are on the best team are rewarded for their teams success with league awards. Example is that Cotton should be on the defensive team because he is in my opinion the best defensive player in the league.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » November 21st, 2013, 1:11 pm

iSASO wrote:Baker and VanVleet each score 21 against Tulsa, in a blowout at Tulsa. Not too shabby for a pair of sophs.

There happens to be a sophomore from Evansville that is averaging 30 PPG this season and has yet to score less than 29 points in a single game yet this year.

Maybe you should start a thread about him.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isuredbirds92 » November 21st, 2013, 1:19 pm

valleychamp wrote:
iSASO wrote:Baker and VanVleet each score 21 against Tulsa, in a blowout at Tulsa. Not too shabby for a pair of sophs.

There happens to be a sophomore from Evansville that is averaging 30 PPG this season and has yet to score less than 29 points in a single game yet this year.

Maybe you should start a thread about him.

HAHA :+1:
isuredbirds92
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby 2livewu » November 21st, 2013, 5:08 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:So far, Van Vleet is averaging a foul every 2.5 minutes he is on the court and those were incurred against a D2 team. That would keep him off the floor for MVC schools that value avoiding fouls (Creighton, UNI, etc.). It isn't WSU's depth that will keep him off the floor; his propensity to foul often is what will keep him off the floor. No doubt, though, that he is the chosen one. :bounce:

So far, I'm pretty pleased with what I've seen from Creighton's new freshman, and Deontae "Teddy" Hawkins' best friend, Andre Yates.

This is comedy gold. Should I start with Final Four or Cleveland State?
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball