Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Postby Wufan » November 21st, 2013, 7:58 pm

BEARZ77 wrote: Too bad some on here can only recognize talent when it's wearing their colors.

I don't think anyone has said anything negative about D.J.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Sharpe » November 21st, 2013, 8:16 pm

valleychamp wrote:
iSASO wrote:Baker and VanVleet each score 21 against Tulsa, in a blowout at Tulsa. Not too shabby for a pair of sophs.

There happens to be a sophomore from Evansville that is averaging 30 PPG this season and has yet to score less than 29 points in a single game yet this year.

Maybe you should start a thread about him.

Maybe an Evansville fan should have made a page about him over a year ago claiming he was going to be a total stud before it became apparent to everyone the claim was true...
Sharpe
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby glm38 » November 21st, 2013, 11:09 pm

If I remember correctly the criticism of Baker (if you even call it that) was very mild. I think it was just that he to that point hadn't shown 1:1 breakdown ability. Even if that were true it doesn't mean he's not an outstanding player.

I watched him a lot last year. I thought he was one of the better guards I saw. Love his all around game. But I didn't see much at all of being able to generate his own shot. It was always in the flow of the offense. So if he's developed that or if it was always there then I'm certainly willing to admit I was wrong.

It does seem like there are currently a ton of talented young players in the MVC. That's a good thing for ALL of us.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 22nd, 2013, 12:22 pm

glm38 wrote:It does seem like there are currently a ton of talented young players in the MVC. That's a good thing for ALL of us.

This.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » November 22nd, 2013, 12:28 pm

Wufan wrote:
2livewu wrote:So far, I'm pretty pleased with what I've seen from Creighton's new freshman, and Deontae "Teddy" Hawkins' best friend, Andre Yates.

Didn't Yates transfer?

That's my point. Yates transferred to Cleveland State, a guy DJA was "pretty pleased with", an obvious attempt to claim superiority over VanVleet, in addition to an attempt to suggest Teddy might be headed to CU.

There isn't a coach alive that wouldn't laugh out loud for a VanVleet/Yates trade straight up.

DJA fail trolling again, on a ton of levels. At least DJA and Yates got to watch Fred play in the Final Four from the same loser BJ couch.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby iSASO » November 25th, 2013, 10:39 pm

glm38 wrote:If I remember correctly the criticism of Baker (if you even call it that) was very mild. I think it was just that he to that point hadn't shown 1:1 breakdown ability. Even if that were true it doesn't mean he's not an outstanding player.

I watched him a lot last year. I thought he was one of the better guards I saw. Love his all around game. But I didn't see much at all of being able to generate his own shot. It was always in the flow of the offense. So if he's developed that or if it was always there then I'm certainly willing to admit I was wrong.

It does seem like there are currently a ton of talented young players in the MVC. That's a good thing for ALL of us.

At the 10:17 mark of the 2nd half vs. DePaul, Ron Baker created his own shot by driving past his defender and getting to the rim, drawing and foul sunk both free throws. ESPN Commentators were impressed at Baker's ability to put in on the floor and make a play.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » November 25th, 2013, 11:19 pm

Baker took DePaul defenders off the dribble not less than 4 times this evening for layups.

He can create his own shot. There is no question.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Black » November 25th, 2013, 11:28 pm

Does Bearz77 have access to ESPN3? There should be a replay up of the game tonight. I'm interested to know how his words taste in his mouth.
Black
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby agrinut » November 25th, 2013, 11:42 pm

Play Angry wrote:Baker took DePaul defenders off the dribble not less than 4 times this evening for layups.

He can create his own shot. There is no question.

You are correct he did. I will say that DePaul might be the worst defensive team I've seen this year. Not trying to take anything away from the shocks. Wichita could have picked the score tonight. Very impressed.
agrinut
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » November 26th, 2013, 12:35 am

DePaul got into our faces to take away the three and pressure us. We didn't shoot very many threes tonight but we hit about 57% of our shots. DePaul doesn't play any team defense. If you break down the first defender, you have an open shot. I have a feeling that Baker will break down defenders some more this year.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball