Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Postby Ricardo del Rio » November 15th, 2013, 2:28 pm

glm38 wrote:It's really kind of goofy to bring this back up. 4 good young MVC players. THE WSU duo has a big edge right now due to their contribution to a F4 team. But Marshall is one of the better young guards I've seen. And Thurman has a ton of potential.

Why don't we bring this up again in 3 years?

By the time that Marshall and Thurman graduate, they will take their place among the all time Valley greats - Oscar, Bird, X, Dougie, Hawkins, Chet the Jet, Wes Unseld, Mo Cheeks, etc.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » November 15th, 2013, 10:35 pm

iSASO wrote:
glm38 wrote:It's really kind of goofy to bring this back up. 4 good young MVC players. THE WSU duo has a big edge right now due to their contribution to a F4 team. But Marshall is one of the better young guards I've seen. And Thurman has a ton of potential.

OK. We will. Book it.

Let's also take an accounting of whose teams perform the best over the next three years of their careers. Both are guards, both play PG. Like a quarterback, they are judged on how well their team performs, not just their individual stats.

Both Baker and VanVleet have a 30-win season and a Final Four in the credit column on the ledger. Not a bad place to start, but 3 more years is a long time. Thurman and Marshall might equal and surpass that mark. Time will tell.

Can I get in on the beer in STL action or has that offer expired for some reason?

You've got the wrong guy. I never was in on any bet. Just defending my guys.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » November 15th, 2013, 10:44 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:

By the time that Marshall and Thurman graduate, they will take their place among the all time Valley greats - Oscar, Bird, X, Dougie, Hawkins, Chet the Jet, Wes Unseld, Mo Cheeks, etc.

Where is that coming from? All anybody (Bears or Shox fans) has said is that all 4 are very good young players. Who said anything about all time great status for any of them?
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » November 16th, 2013, 9:59 am

glm38 wrote:
Ricardo del Rio wrote:

Where is that coming from? All anybody (Bears or Shox fans) has said is that all 4 are very good young players. Who said anything about all time great status for any of them?

It comes from them. Isaso and RDR always have been two very weird and insecure posters.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » November 16th, 2013, 2:17 pm

Between Baker and VanVleet, they had 14 assists and 2 turnovers today.

For the season, that's 45 assists and 11 TO's. Better than a 4:1 A/TO ratio.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby iSASO » November 16th, 2013, 2:28 pm

What an awful line for Baker today. I can understand why several of you don't get why everyone likes him.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby CBB_Fan » November 17th, 2013, 10:18 am

iSASO wrote:What an awful line for Baker today. I can understand why several of you don't get why everyone likes him.

Yeah, I hate when a player has an awful shooting night (2-10 FG, 1-5 3PT), and doesn't do anything else to make up for it. I mean, only 7 assists (0 TOs) and 8 rebounds? Only 2 steals? 0 blocks? Chump.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » November 17th, 2013, 10:49 am

Baker is no different than any other player in the league; accolades will come as he consistently plays at a high level. What has gotten the automatic gag reflex from many is the attempt to make him something he has yet to prove he is and the fact if you even mention an area of weakness you get snarling and gnashing of teeth beyond reason.

Let the kid have a great season, then you can promote the hell out of something that has been sustained rather than just hinted at.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » November 17th, 2013, 11:13 am

CBB_Fan wrote:
iSASO wrote:What an awful line for Baker today. I can understand why several of you don't get why everyone likes him.

Yeah, I hate when a player has an awful shooting night (2-10 FG, 1-5 3PT), and doesn't do anything else to make up for it. I mean, only 7 assists (0 TOs) and 8 rebounds? Only 2 steals? 0 blocks? Chump.

I'd be willing to bet most posters on this board recognize a player can have a horrendous shooting night like Baker and VF did in this one but still contribute in a lot of other ways. Bears fans for instance recognize that Keith Pickens might very well be our best all around player despite the fact that he's not a big scorer.

I've got a lot of respect for both of these players. Particularly Baker.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Black » November 17th, 2013, 1:10 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:Baker is no different than any other player in the league; accolades will come as he consistently plays at a high level. What has gotten the automatic gag reflex from many is the attempt to make him something he has yet to prove he is and the fact if you even mention an area of weakness you get snarling and gnashing of teeth beyond reason.

Let the kid have a great season, then you can promote the hell out of something that has been sustained rather than just hinted at.

What is a "great season" by your standards? Is an NCAA run to the Final Four not great enough for you?
Black
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball