New Look for UNI

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: New Look for UNI

Postby DUBulldog » October 22nd, 2010, 2:29 pm

I don't know about UNI, but Drake was limited in how big the Knapp Center could be just based on how much real estate was available on campus. The Bulldogs averaged between 9000 & 10000 at Vets Auditorium when I was a student, and I believe the original plans for the on-campus venue were for it to be approx 8500-9000 in capacity. But, given the footprint available, 7000 was all they could squeeze in.

Would I like it to be bigger? Sure. I also wish there was more non-street parking available in the area. But, when that place is full (which isn't nearly often enough), it is absolutely rockin' in there. I had several Creighton fans come up to me after the DU-CU game last season to ask if the atmosphere was always that insane. I also give Drake credit for building something on campus, something that none of the other private schools in the MVC have done. If Drake ever gets to the point where they're routinely selling out Knapp, then I could see them moving games to Wells Fargo Arena, like CU did with the Qwest Center.

If you look at the A-10 and the CAA, 2 "mid-majors" that are similar to the MVC in talent level, you'll see a lot of gyms in the 4000-5000 range, and a few even smaller than that.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby unipanther99 » October 22nd, 2010, 2:44 pm

Snoopj-

The Men's BB team did play a few home games in the West Gym in 1998 when the roof was being replaced. Most games were held in Young Arena in Waterloo (home of Blackhawks Hockey) that year.

When the roof collapsed back in 1994, a significant number of games were moved to Cedar Rapids' US Cellular Center (5 Seasons Center at the time). I remember watching UNI play Nebraska at the "5."
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby unipanther99 » October 22nd, 2010, 2:51 pm

The McLeod Center was not limited by space available. But why build a 10,000 seat facility next to another 10,000 seat facility? UNI needed something they could come close to filling on a regular basis.

If building and filling a 10,000+ seat arena is going to be a requirement for Valley teams, it seems like the conference is down to about 4 teams, if that.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 22nd, 2010, 3:05 pm

unipanther99 wrote:The McLeod Center was not limited by space available. But why build a 10,000 seat facility next to another 10,000 seat facility? UNI needed something they could come close to filling on a regular basis.

If building and filling a 10,000+ seat arena is going to be a requirement for Valley teams, it seems like the conference is down to about 4 teams, if that.

Good point. UNI can't even regularly sell out 7,000 when they are winning the conference, why would they need 10K seats?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » October 22nd, 2010, 3:20 pm

Of course, we could start selling alcohol, and start playing in a building that someone else built and that someone else owns. That would probably boost attendance.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » October 22nd, 2010, 3:30 pm

valleychamp wrote:Of course, we could start selling alcohol, and start playing in a building that someone else built and that someone else owns. That would probably boost attendance.

Would it? I kind of doubt it. I'm totally fine with 6500-7000 fans. We've been increasing in attendance and support pretty much every year of the past decade. I would like to see us get to a point where ticket demand is a little more than capacity, like WSU has had the past several years. If the current trend continues, we will get there.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 22nd, 2010, 3:32 pm

valleychamp wrote:Of course, we could start selling alcohol, and start playing in a building that someone else built and that someone else owns. That would probably boost attendance.

Actually it probably wouldn't. Besides, isn't McLeod newer than the Qwest?

I went to a Creighton-UNI game there the season before last. It was a Sunday afternoon, weather was very nice for that time of the year and the roads from Omaha to your arena were clear. The game pitted a UNI team in first place against a CU team that was in second. Even on that day, when there were seemingly a lot less than excuses than UNI fans normally have, the arena wasn't sold out despite the fact that there were several thousand Creighton fans that bought tickets and made the trip! (The student section wasn't full either.) Even more noteworthy though is the fact that Creighton fans that bought tickets online from the ticket office (not scalpers) were able to get tickets in the first several rows of the arena!
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » October 22nd, 2010, 3:53 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:Actually it probably wouldn't. Besides, isn't McLeod newer than the Qwest?

I went to a Creighton-UNI game there the season before last. It was a Sunday afternoon, weather was very nice for that time of the year and the roads from Omaha to your arena were clear. The game pitted a UNI team in first place against a CU team that was in second. Even on that day, when there were seemingly a lot less than excuses than UNI fans normally have, the arena wasn't sold out despite the fact that there were several thousand Creighton fans that bought tickets and made the trip! (The student section wasn't full either.) Even more noteworthy though is the fact that Creighton fans that bought tickets online from the ticket office (not scalpers) were able to get tickets in the first several rows of the arena!

As for your first point, as I already said, I agree with you.

As for the 2/08/09 CU @ UNI game, I think you memory is a little off. Official attendance was 6234. That's selling every single seat in the main portion of the arena, and leaving some room in the bleachers that sit on top of the north concourse. To get to 7018, it takes standing room only and putting folding chairs at the inside edge of the concourse. So it was pretty full. And while there were some Bluejay fans there, "several thousand" isn't even close. Maybe 250, 500 would really be pushing it. I brought a few extra friends along that day. We walked up and bought tickets, but there were no seatbacks available, just general admission for either the north concourse or behind the pep band.

As for the first several rows of the arena, the seats behind the visitor's bench are reserved for the visiting fans. That just makes sense. There could be a few stray seats available in the first few rows elswhere in the arena, but not many. I was fairly low in the pecking order to pick season tickets back in 2006 when it opened. Nearly everything in the first few rows was taken by the time I was allowed to pick.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby valleychamp » October 22nd, 2010, 4:59 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:

There has NEVER been several thousand visiting fans in the Mcleod. I don't know what game you were at, but pretty much all of your recollection from that day is wrong. :?

I have also been to several games in omaha, and the majority of the people at creighton games couldn't give a crap about whats going on in the actual game. There are a lot of people there, but the atmosphere is crap.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » October 22nd, 2010, 5:02 pm

unipanther99 wrote:

Would it? I kind of doubt it. I'm totally fine with 6500-7000 fans. We've been increasing in attendance and support pretty much every year of the past decade. I would like to see us get to a point where ticket demand is a little more than capacity, like WSU has had the past several years. If the current trend continues, we will get there.

I was being sarcastic. I would never want to do such a thing.

My point was, that is exactly what creighton has done. Using an arena that isn't theirs, and selling alcohol. It undeniably is a significant boost to their attendance.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball