New Look for UNI

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: New Look for UNI

Postby TrueBlueJay » October 22nd, 2010, 5:04 pm

When you said new look for UNI I thought you meant this.

TrueBlueJay
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MoValley John » October 22nd, 2010, 5:45 pm

TrueBlueJay wrote:When you said new look for UNI I thought you meant this.

:lol: :o :lol: :o :lol:

This may be the best use of a picture to date on mvcfans!!!
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » October 22nd, 2010, 6:03 pm

Two points on the size of arena issue.

How good do you expect UNI continue to be into the future and how much are you willingt to pay for tickets?

These are two important factors to consider when you think of this perfectly sized basketball arena. Two years of success is not enough to load up the bandwagon, but should UNI make the NCAA's this year, the bandwagon fills up and you are sold out for the season. If the winning continues, suddenly, there is only one way to raise revenue, higher ticket prices. This is the real way college athletics works.

Should UNI continue to succeed the athletic department will look to take advantage of the situation and raise more revenue. And when the barn is full, the only way to beef up the money is to charge more per head. You mentioned Gonzaga. Yep, they built an intimate arena. The school is located in Spokane, with tons of rich people and tickets are also unaffordable to the average Joe. The current minimum donation required for season ticket holders is $2500. But here is the best deal yet, since Gonzaga is currently SOLD OUT! you can donate $250 per year to be on the waiting list for the mere opportunity to buy single game tickets should they become available. No guarantee that they will become available, but you're on the list. What a deal!!!

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gonz/genrel/auto_pdf/BDCbenefitchart10_11.pdf
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » October 22nd, 2010, 9:34 pm

MoValley John wrote:Two points on the size of arena issue.

How good do you expect UNI continue to be into the future and how much are you willingt to pay for tickets?

These are two important factors to consider when you think of this perfectly sized basketball arena. Two years of success is not enough to load up the bandwagon, but should UNI make the NCAA's this year, the bandwagon fills up and you are sold out for the season. If the winning continues, suddenly, there is only one way to raise revenue, higher ticket prices. This is the real way college athletics works.

Should UNI continue to succeed the athletic department will look to take advantage of the situation and raise more revenue. And when the barn is full, the only way to beef up the money is to charge more per head. You mentioned Gonzaga. Yep, they built an intimate arena. The school is located in Spokane, with tons of rich people and tickets are also unaffordable to the average Joe. The current minimum donation required for season ticket holders is $2500. But here is the best deal yet, since Gonzaga is currently SOLD OUT! you can donate $250 per year to be on the waiting list for the mere opportunity to buy single game tickets should they become available. No guarantee that they will become available, but you're on the list. What a deal!!!

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gonz/genrel/auto_pdf/BDCbenefitchart10_11.pdf

In other words, having a smaller arena could be a very good thing. :lol: What side of the argument are you on?...
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » October 22nd, 2010, 11:04 pm

TrueBlueJay wrote:When you said new look for UNI I thought you meant this.

Oh boy!.. :lol:
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » October 22nd, 2010, 11:06 pm

While I would like the majority of our arenas over 9-10k in capacity, for some schools, it just wouldn't make much sense.

Northern Iowa had their best season in their school's history last year. I'm curious to know how many sellouts they had? I also would think season ticket totals would be higher this year thanks to last year's success. Also, I'd expect the average attendance to rise a bit from last year.

If UNI can't draw 7,000 a game in a season they had like last year's, then they never will IMO.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » October 23rd, 2010, 12:25 am

WSUbballer wrote:While I would like the majority of our arenas over 9-10k in capacity, for some schools, it just wouldn't make much sense.

Northern Iowa had their best season in their school's history last year. I'm curious to know how many sellouts they had? I also would think season ticket totals would be higher this year thanks to last year's success. Also, I'd expect the average attendance to rise a bit from last year.

If UNI can't draw 7,000 a game in a season they had like last year's, then they never will IMO.

And that is the saddest part of this whole thing. For two years the UNI basketball team has been anything but midmajor. Their fans never figured it out, they still see themselves as midmajor. They are happy with midmajor. And Cedar Falls isn't as rural as one might think, there are over 200,000 people living within 60 miles of the McLoed Center to market to, but it's tough to market a program as bigtime when your true, dyed in the wool fans are happy with midmajor.

Had anyone at UNI had any vision five years ago, they would have built bigger, marketed bigger and sold more seats. Instead, they dreamed midmajor and never tried to sell the people that the program was going to win back to back Valley titles, make a Sweet 16, knock off one of the biggest names in college basketball history, get a cover story in Sports Illustrated and win an ESPY. They freaking let McDermott put an Iowa State billboard in their back yard, and just like a happy go lucky midmajor, when McDermott left Iowa State for Creighton, they let him take their prized recruit as well.

It takes a little longer for the bandwagon to leave the station when a team is worthy of a Sports Illustrated cover but they build an arena and market the program like they would just be happy with a few column inches in Midmajority. This is just one of the reasons that Wichita State fans want out of the Valley. And they're right.
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » October 23rd, 2010, 7:33 am

MVJ, I know this has turned into you being you. However, a couple of points. We haven't been building off of 2 years of success as you said, it's been a steady climb for nearly a decade. Attendance has probably increased by about 250%, if not more.

What fundraising strategy would you have used to build a bigger arena? What marketing strategy would you have used to fill it?

Honest questions.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby valleychamp » October 23rd, 2010, 10:15 am

Where was Gonzaga's vision, MVJ? What were they thinking? I guess they just saw themselves as mid major too.

Its too bad they built such a small crap arena. They surely will never make anything of themselves with an arena like that. :roll: :roll: :roll:

You are WAY over analyzing this...
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » October 23rd, 2010, 9:35 pm

MoValley John wrote:
WSUbballer wrote:While I would like the majority of our arenas over 9-10k in capacity, for some schools, it just wouldn't make much sense.

And that is the saddest part of this whole thing. For two years the UNI basketball team has been anything but midmajor. Their fans never figured it out, they still see themselves as midmajor. They are happy with midmajor. And Cedar Falls isn't as rural as one might think, there are over 200,000 people living within 60 miles of the McLoed Center to market to, but it's tough to market a program as bigtime when your true, dyed in the wool fans are happy with midmajor.

Had anyone at UNI had any vision five years ago, they would have built bigger, marketed bigger and sold more seats. Instead, they dreamed midmajor and never tried to sell the people that the program was going to win back to back Valley titles, make a Sweet 16, knock off one of the biggest names in college basketball history, get a cover story in Sports Illustrated and win an ESPY. They freaking let McDermott put an Iowa State billboard in their back yard, and just like a happy go lucky midmajor, when McDermott left Iowa State for Creighton, they let him take their prized recruit as well.

It takes a little longer for the bandwagon to leave the station when a team is worthy of a Sports Illustrated cover but they build an arena and market the program like they would just be happy with a few column inches in Midmajority. This is just one of the reasons that Wichita State fans want out of the Valley. And they're right.

I don't think I can disagree with anything you've said. It is kinda sad if you think about it.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball