New Look for UNI

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

New Look for UNI

Postby valleychamp » October 21st, 2010, 7:46 pm

UNI got some new uniforms again this year. Anyone else changing their look this season?

Also, we got a new floor installed in the McLeod Center this year. Its actually the floor from our NCAA game against Mich St in STL.

Last edited by valleychamp on October 21st, 2010, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

New Look for UNI

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: New Look for UNI

Postby oneNEIGHBOR » October 21st, 2010, 8:01 pm

Is that the whole gym or is the picture just making the stands look REALLY SMALL???? I mean my high school gym is almost that big... O but the floor looks nice!
Go Shockers!
Ready for some basketball!
oneNEIGHBOR
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby valleychamp » October 21st, 2010, 8:03 pm

eh, the bleachers in the endzone are folded up, and the bleachers on the concourse are not there as well.

But its not a huge place. 7K
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby oneNEIGHBOR » October 21st, 2010, 8:11 pm

OK that makes me feel better. i was looking at the place thinking it seated 4-5 thousand.
Go Shockers!
Ready for some basketball!
oneNEIGHBOR
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby pawball » October 21st, 2010, 9:46 pm

This conjures up a question: what do you think the ideal arena would be? I think 5,000-12,000. More than that, just too far away from the action to have Justice. Less than that, not enuf to create the atmosphere you want (however, I do recall being at McDonald arean, seating capacity 3,200??, and witnessing games that sent shivers through me spine, much due to the crowd----man, that was a loud crowd, and the acoustics were Great!).
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby unipanther99 » October 22nd, 2010, 7:53 am

If it's packed, I don't think it matters how big it is. It's more about the atmosphere.

For me, the Dayton Arena is perfect. About 12K, old school feel, good sight lines, and even though I was only there for a NCAA tournament game, I get the impression that place can get loud. The only downside is that it is in the City of Dayton, OH.

As for the new uni's for UNI, I like them. Modern, but not too flashy.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby MoValley John » October 22nd, 2010, 8:29 am

oneNEIGHBOR wrote:Is that the whole gym or is the picture just making the stands look REALLY SMALL???? I mean my high school gym is almost that big... O but the floor looks nice!

Don't let the "bleachers pushed in" excuse fool you. What you see is what you get. 7,000 seats. Total. Wikipedia has it at 7,018. It is also the second newest arena in the Valley (not counting the girl's gyms recently built by Bradley and Creighton).

I guess it's not the smallest arena in the Valley, UNI, with a student enrollment of over 13,000 undergraduates and post graduates, has a basketball arena slightly larger than Drake's Knapp Center, an oversized high school gym which seats a cozy 7,002. For sake of comparison, Drake's total enrollment (undergrad and post grad) is 5,100.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Duan » October 22nd, 2010, 8:34 am

pawball wrote:This conjures up a question: what do you think the ideal arena would be? I think 5,000-12,000. More than that, just too far away from the action to have Justice. Less than that, not enuf to create the atmosphere you want (however, I do recall being at McDonald arean, seating capacity 3,200??, and witnessing games that sent shivers through me spine, much due to the crowd----man, that was a loud crowd, and the acoustics were Great!).

The bigger the better in my opinion. I sit in the rafters in Omaha and love my seats! If the place was any smaller then all the seats would be taken up by season ticket holders and the average Joe couldn't attend any games. The more the merrier!
Duan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby valleychamp » October 22nd, 2010, 10:28 am

MoValley John wrote:
oneNEIGHBOR wrote:Is that the whole gym or is the picture just making the stands look REALLY SMALL???? I mean my high school gym is almost that big... O but the floor looks nice!

Don't let the "bleachers pushed in" excuse fool you. What you see is what you get. 7,000 seats. Total. Wikipedia has it at 7,018. It is also the second newest arena in the Valley (not counting the girl's gyms recently built by Bradley and Creighton).

I guess it's not the smallest arena in the Valley, UNI, with a student enrollment of over 13,000 undergraduates and post graduates, has a basketball arena slightly larger than Drake's Knapp Center, an oversized high school gym which seats a cozy 7,002. For sake of comparison, Drake's total enrollment (undergrad and post grad) is 5,100.

Point being? I never said it was big, and I said it holds 7K.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » October 22nd, 2010, 10:34 am

Duan wrote:The bigger the better in my opinion. I sit in the rafters in Omaha and love my seats! If the place was any smaller then all the seats would be taken up by season ticket holders and the average Joe couldn't attend any games. The more the merrier!

I beg to differ. Sitting in the 10,000 seat (for basketball) UNI-Dome in the late 90's with about 800-900 of my closest friends was not exactly a great experience.

On the other hand, some of my best memories as a student Panther fan were in the 2000 seat West Gym for volleyball and women's basketball. That place was electric.

The McLeod Center was built to be just big enough, and still have some of the feeling of the West Gym.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball