New Look for UNI

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: New Look for UNI

Postby snoopj » October 25th, 2010, 9:04 pm

MoValley John wrote:I don't know what to make of this. Are you cheerleading the fact that the two time defending Missouri Valley Champions only finished sixth in attendance or that a mere 15 years ago, more people attended the local high school basketball games? EIther way it just paints the UNI fanbase as sad and pathetic.

Back then, most of our fans were sad and pathetic. The only time we could sell out was when Iowa came to town and even then, black and gold far outnumbered purple and gold. It's come a long way since, but a mere 15 years ago, you couldn't even get the students to go to the damn games. The fee for a yearly student athletic pass only covered all the home football games and the yearly "name" team they'd bring in (usually Iowa or Iowa State) for a vast majority of the students. A shame, really. Seems I'm one of the few that actually used it for more than that.
Last edited by snoopj on October 25th, 2010, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
University of Northern Iowa Class of 2000....however, an overall fan of the Missouri Valley Conference.
snoopj
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MoValley John » October 25th, 2010, 9:17 pm

unipanther99 wrote:And MVJ, is their any presidence of a school increasing their attendance at a greater rate or climbing their conference attendance ladder at a better rate than UNI has done? I'm sure there probably is, and I've done quite a bit of research in this thread, so I will let you have a crack at this one.

I would have no idea about increasing attendance at a greater rate, but I bet there have been plenty that have had quicker rises in conference attendance ladders.

As far as attendance rate, that is somewhat of a red herring, a strawman if you please. If a school doubles their average attendance over three years, is it more impressive than a school that has only a 20% increase over the same time period? At first blush you would say yes, but if the time period began with school #1 only averaging 1,500 fans and school #2 averaging 8,000, then school #2 has done a lot better job. At the end of the three years, school #1 only gained 1,500 while school # 2 gained 1600. School #1 ended by averaging 3,000 while school # 2 averaged 9,600.

Like I said, a red herring, strawman type argument.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » October 25th, 2010, 9:25 pm

unipanther99 wrote:And MVJ, is their any presidence of a school increasing their attendance at a greater rate or climbing their conference attendance ladder at a better rate than UNI has done? I'm sure there probably is, and I've done quite a bit of research in this thread, so I will let you have a crack at this one.

When you start from a low number to begin with, the rate is easier to obtain. I'm just sayin'.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » October 25th, 2010, 9:30 pm

You can always be like Missouri State and figure in cattle sales. Pardon the pun, but that could really beef up your numbers.
Last edited by MoValley John on October 25th, 2010, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » October 25th, 2010, 9:30 pm

Ok, forget rate. We had the 10th best increase in attendance last year in the nation, based on raw numbers.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/niw ... ndance.pdf
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 25th, 2010, 9:35 pm

MoValley John wrote:

I would have no idea about increasing attendance at a greater rate, but I bet there have been plenty that have had quicker rises in conference attendance ladders.

As far as attendance rate, that is somewhat of a red herring, a strawman if you please. If a school doubles their average attendance over three years, is it more impressive than a school that has only a 20% increase over the same time period? At first blush you would say yes, but if the time period began with school #1 only averaging 1,500 fans and school #2 averaging 8,000, then school #2 has done a lot better job. At the end of the three years, school #1 only gained 1,500 while school # 2 gained 1600. School #1 ended by averaging 3,000 while school # 2 averaged 9,600.

Like I said, a red herring, strawman type argument.

It is the same kind of math that allows one to declare a sellout when an arena sells 6500 tickets even though listed capacity is 7000. I'm not sure if all the accountants and math teachers that matriculate at UNI are taught the same concepts, but the MSU accountants certainly are.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » October 25th, 2010, 9:36 pm

unipanther99 wrote:Ok, forget rate. We had the 10th best increase in attendance last year in the nation, based on raw numbers.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/niw ... ndance.pdf

And here is the rub, how much more can you grow this year and next?
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball