New Look for UNI

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: New Look for UNI

Postby MoValley John » October 24th, 2010, 7:11 pm

fastbow wrote:The perfect arena seats 10,500, is designed to reflect noise back down onto the court, has exactly 0 bleacher seats in the house, excellent concessions, a tunnel by the friends and family seats for the home team and a tunnel between the students for the refs and opponents, excellent configurations for volleyball and events, enough hookups for TV that there are very few cables in anyone's way, beautiful sight lines, and the ability to host a kick-butt concert.

Incidentally, Eck Stadium seats more than UNI's barn.

So I guess there are exactly zero arenas in the Valley that are perfect.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby oneNEIGHBOR » October 24th, 2010, 7:47 pm

MoValley John wrote:
fastbow wrote:The perfect arena seats 10,500, is designed to reflect noise back down onto the court, has exactly 0 bleacher seats in the house, excellent concessions, a tunnel by the friends and family seats for the home team and a tunnel between the students for the refs and opponents, excellent configurations for volleyball and events, enough hookups for TV that there are very few cables in anyone's way, beautiful sight lines, and the ability to host a kick-butt concert.

Incidentally, Eck Stadium seats more than UNI's barn.

So I guess there are exactly zero arenas in the Valley that are perfect.

No. CKA arena is like this... other then the concert thing, mabye.
Go Shockers!
Ready for some basketball!
oneNEIGHBOR
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby unipanther99 » October 24th, 2010, 7:56 pm

WSUbballer wrote:While I would like the majority of our arenas over 9-10k in capacity, for some schools, it just wouldn't make much sense.

Northern Iowa had their best season in their school's history last year. I'm curious to know how many sellouts they had? I also would think season ticket totals would be higher this year thanks to last year's success. Also, I'd expect the average attendance to rise a bit from last year.

If UNI can't draw 7,000 a game in a season they had like last year's, then they never will IMO.

Working backwards, below I've listed attendance at the McLeod last year. A sellout is anything over 6500.

Sat. 2/27/10 vs. Illinois State: 7332
Fri. 2/19/10 vs. Old Dominion: 7031
Tue. 2/16/10 vs. Creighton: 5440
Sat. 2/06/10 vs. Southern Illinois: 6839
Wed. 2/03/10 vs. Wichita State: 6723
Wed. 1/27/10 vs. Drake: 6069
Sat. 1/16/10 vs. Indiana State: 6778
Tue. 1/12/10 vs. Bradley: 4892
Sun. 1/03/10 vs. Missouri St.: 4666
Fri. 1/01/10 vs. Evansville: 4450
Wed. 12/23/09 vs. Wyoming: 3102
Sat. 12/12/09 vs. Sienna: 5096
Tue. 12/08/09 vs. Iowa: 6480
Sat. 11/28/09 vs. Northern Illinois: 4083

So the answer to your question is 5 sellouts last year.

UNI finished 6th for attendance the MVC last year, I'm sure that was our highest finish ever. Could it be better, sure. But at the same time UNI is light years ahead of where we were 10 years ago.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby WSUbballer » October 24th, 2010, 9:24 pm

Those our good numbers 99 for your fanbase. I'm glad some fans finally "got it" toward the end of the year.

It still amazes me though that you couldn't draw close to 7k on the majority of nights with the team, record, and rankings you had. What's even more shocking is your closest opponents and what some consider as your "rivals", Drake, Creighton, and Iowa were all well short of 7k.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » October 24th, 2010, 9:37 pm

To be fair baller, Iowa wasn't drawing fans to their games either last year.

And the conference was nice enough to give us games against our two closest regional teams in the middle of the week (Tue and Wed).

When we are trying to draw fans from Des Moines (2 hours) and Cedar Rapids (1 hour) in the middle of winter, they're not going to make that kind of trip on weeknights, unfortunately. I wish we could fill our arena with the 100,000 from Waterloo/Cedar Falls, but Waterloo doesn't hardly recognize UNI's existence, so lop off the 70,000 fans to draw from there.

What really sucks is that we can't consistently get 500 students to the games, until we can do that, our attendance will fluctuate wildly.

But give our fans some credit, they knew the importance of the Wichita State game last year and showed up mid-week for that. And no, it was not all WSU fans making the trip...
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » October 24th, 2010, 9:39 pm

The Iowa game last year was on a weeknight during an absolutely terrible blizzard. I was shocked to see as many people there as there were.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » October 24th, 2010, 9:56 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:To be fair baller, Iowa wasn't drawing fans to their games either last year.

And the conference was nice enough to give us games against our two closest regional teams in the middle of the week (Tue and Wed).

When we are trying to draw fans from Des Moines (2 hours) and Cedar Rapids (1 hour) in the middle of winter, they're not going to make that kind of trip on weeknights, unfortunately. I wish we could fill our arena with the 100,000 from Waterloo/Cedar Falls, but Waterloo doesn't hardly recognize UNI's existence, so lop off the 70,000 fans to draw from there.

What really sucks is that we can't consistently get 500 students to the games, until we can do that, our attendance will fluctuate wildly.

But give our fans some credit, they knew the importance of the Wichita State game last year and showed up mid-week for that. And no, it was not all WSU fans making the trip...

All fair points Khan and yes those details do make a difference.

And of course people show up for WSU. Everybody circles that game on their calendars.. :D
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby snoopj » October 25th, 2010, 3:52 pm

unipanther99 wrote:UNI finished 6th for attendance the MVC last year, I'm sure that was our highest finish ever. Could it be better, sure. But at the same time UNI is light years ahead of where we were 10 years ago.

That it is. I can attest to that. I remember being in the Dome back in 1995-2000 seasons where you'd be lucky to get 900 at the game. Also, I vaguely remember not seeing a whole lot of UNI fans down in St. Louis the two years I got all session passes.

I still remember a game back in 1995 against Tulsa that was over the holiday break. I think I was amongst 500 others in the Dome. That game felt really small in that building. Of course, due to holiday break the band was non-existent and the cheerleaders were nowhere to be found. It was the quietest game of basketball I've ever been to. In fact, I think more noise was made during my finals a few weeks before than was made at that game.
University of Northern Iowa Class of 2000....however, an overall fan of the Missouri Valley Conference.
snoopj
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby MoValley John » October 25th, 2010, 4:01 pm

snoopj wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:UNI finished 6th for attendance the MVC last year, I'm sure that was our highest finish ever. Could it be better, sure. But at the same time UNI is light years ahead of where we were 10 years ago.

That it is. I can attest to that. I remember being in the Dome back in 1995-2000 seasons where you'd be lucky to get 900 at the game. Also, I vaguely remember not seeing a whole lot of UNI fans down in St. Louis the two years I got all session passes.

I still remember a game back in 1995 against Tulsa that was over the holiday break. I think I was amongst 500 others in the Dome. That game felt really small in that building. Of course, due to holiday break the band was non-existent and the cheerleaders were nowhere to be found. It was the quietest game of basketball I've ever been to. In fact, I think more noise was made during my finals a few weeks before than was made at that game.

I don't know what to make of this. Are you cheerleading the fact that the two time defending Missouri Valley Champions only finished sixth in attendance or that a mere 15 years ago, more people attended the local high school basketball games? EIther way it just paints the UNI fanbase as sad and pathetic.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby beatingrillz » October 25th, 2010, 6:35 pm

If the Mcleod holds 7,018 seats as it list it does how do you consider 6500 a sell out seems to me there was another 500 seats before you get to standing room.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball