Best Rivalry

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Best Rivalry

Postby valleychamp » October 25th, 2010, 8:52 am

jayball wrote:bigdawg,

I'm not sure if UNI/CU will take off or not. I know many UNI fans are pretty upset with McD, but I don't think CU fans have any issue with UNI as a "rival". I know Mac and Jake are really good friends, so I don't see them doing anything to stoke a fire between the two schools. I think it will take a few years of big time court battles to even begin to fuel anything, but even with that it will be a strech without some other provocations.

With SIU we had several years of big games that kept ratcheting up the rivalry. But another part of the fun with SIU was the physical thug style of basketball they played and the fact that they made up tshirts about h8ing cr8ton in St Louis. SIU students chanting "korver swallows" and going after his parents in Carbondale were other highlights. Also as a CU fan it was easy to dislike Weber b/c he was so animated on the sideline and seemed to react very emotionally to every little thing. Add some things like that to close games and you can develop a decent rivalry. I don't see Jake and Mac doing that sort of stuff.

Plus half of our university is from UNI....I'm beginning to think that there is something in athletic contracts about wearing purple underneath the blue.

Are you kidding me? The "friends" angle is one of the #1 reasons why it has a chance to become a good rivalry. :!:

Just because the coaches may not be swearing at each other doesn't necessarily make the rivalry any less intense for the players and fans.

With theJake/McD and theMcD/UNI angles, added to the fact that both programs have been very successful lately, this has a chance to really take off.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bigdawg » October 25th, 2010, 8:55 am

Jayball, we are using different definitions of rivalry. I don't think it has to be hate filled. On the court are two of the best mvc programs plus McD coaching his kid against his old school and his best friend had the makings of a great on court rivalry.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jayball » October 25th, 2010, 9:11 am

you guys might be right....I just don't feel anything "building" on our side. IMO, to get a rivalry going you have to have some intensity or reason to hold the game up above others on the schedule.

UNI fans have a "villian" factor with the ex-coach and stealing Doug. CU fans don't have any reason to get more amped for UNI other than the fact that they have been pretty good the past few years. I can see UNI fans getting upset if Doug turns into a good player and helps CU win games against the Panthers, but I don't know that CU fans will automatically fall into that mentality.

The on court battles will have to be pretty intense and meaningful to get CU fans going. And UNI fans/players will likely have to work pretty hard to rile people up on our side, maybe even get a bit nasty.

Any other CU fans think this is headed for big rivalry territory?
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby cpacmel » October 25th, 2010, 9:48 am

WuDrWu wrote: :P

I have to tell you, one year (several years ago) a couple of kids at Arch Madness asked me if I was 'Cold during a random conversation. I laughed for days. It still makes me chuckle.

You know me mel, and I don't think I have to answer that question.

:P
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby xsaluki » October 25th, 2010, 10:04 am

I hope we return to be competitive. I miss seeing DJAs photo-shopped game controllers with "handcheck", "grab", "flop" etc. It was so much nicer being disliked...
xsaluki
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 25th, 2010, 11:20 am

xsaluki wrote:I hope we return to be competitive. I miss seeing DJAs photo-shopped game controllers with "handcheck", "grab", "flop" etc. It was so much nicer being disliked...

Ha! I wish I could take credit for those...I think TrueBlueJay or somebody else created them though...
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » October 25th, 2010, 1:54 pm

Illinois State and Bradley win this award.

If I had to pick a rival for Wichita State it would be SWOMO. And most Shocker fans I know personally agree. CU is whatever.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoValley John » October 25th, 2010, 2:17 pm

SubGod22 wrote:Illinois State and Bradley win this award.

If I had to pick a rival for Wichita State it would be SWOMO. And most Shocker fans I know personally agree. CU is whatever.

I have never understood the Wichita State/ Crighton rivalry thing. The schools are six hours apart, there is little to no commonality between them and as far as competition, each school seems to be on opposite ends of the spectrum, when Creighton has been good, Wichita State was bad and when Wichita State was good, Creighton was bad. And you really can't hate the fans of each school, either, you don't work with them or compete against them in anything. The fans don't know each other. The whole thing is strange.

Wichita State and Missouri State make a bunch more sense. Two schools within three hours of each other, both public, both far enough south to compete at baseball, plus, I think there are probably a lot more Wichita State and Missouri State grads living and working in the other school's market. Wichita State fans probaly know Bear fans and vise versa.

As for Creighton, Drake would be the logical rivalry, but Drake was bad for so long and one year with Keno wasn't enough to create a big rivalry. That said, I know a bunch of Drake grads in Omaha and there are bunches of Creighton grads in Des moines. Add in a two hour drive and if boith schools get on the same page, this could be huge.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby starshiip » October 25th, 2010, 2:22 pm

SubGod22 wrote:Illinois State and Bradley win this award.

Ditto...Birds vs Braves is the best Valley rivalry bar none ;)
I was married by a Judge...should have asked for a jury.
starshiip
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby MoValley John » October 26th, 2010, 8:47 am

I just saw Creighton's official schedule for the first time. I guess Wichita State will have to take another back seat in the rivalry war thingy. You see, Wichita State garnered the White Out for Wichita, but Northern Iowa just trumped them by landing the "Checkerboard for Cedar Falls" game.

http://www.gocreighton.com/SportSelect. ... PSID=89385
Wed, Jan 12 Wichita State (White Out) * Omaha, Neb. 7:05 PM
Sat, Feb 26 Northern Iowa (Checkerboard) * Omaha, Neb. TBD
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball