Best Rivalry

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Best Rivalry

Postby fastbow » October 24th, 2010, 6:58 pm

AndShock wrote:I think MVJ hit a nerve.

http://creighton.rivals.com/showmsg.asp ... 09&style=2

Matty P never ceases to amaze me.

Can a Creighton fan do me a favor?

Remind Matty that Gregg Marshall only has 3 "g's," not the four that Matty here seems to think he has...
fastbow
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MoValley John » October 24th, 2010, 7:37 pm

Okay, okay, I was supposed to be done, but the more I read, the more I laugh. For the record, I was comparing local press coverage of Creighton to UNO. Creighton gets more. A little more. Matty P was so upset by that he had to chime in on that, too. Here is what he said:
4. Half Step above UNO? This is just stupid. Is UNO on a local TV station 8 times? Fox Sports? ESPN? Has a Rivals site that covers recruiting year round? Has another website dedicated to covering the team? Get 17,000 fans per game?

Anyway, nobody said UNO had any games on ESPN or tv for that matter. I was specifically speaking of coverage in the World Herald, on local radio and how much is discussed on the local sports portion of the newscasts. Nowhere did I mention how much Creighton was on TV. Creighton gets a little ink in the World Herald and they have a radio show on the Fox sports affiliate. Creighton gets little more exposure than UNO during the local newscasts and they probably get less coverage than UNO on KFAB, Omaha's top rated, 50,000 watt AM radio station (KFAB is the Husker flagship station and gives Creighton very little coverage at all).

But that's not the funny part, the funny part is the Rivals website remark. Oh my God is that funny! Is it just me, or is that right out of tornado's playbook?
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 24th, 2010, 8:24 pm

WSUbballer wrote:2.) You can have certain respect but I dunno about going into bars and drinking with them. That usually tends to make things worse with true rivals.

I'm certain that when you are involved, the other party has no desire to sit down and shoot the bull over a few beers. :lol:

For most adults though, there really is no problem with doing so. Over the years in St Louis, I 've had drinks with Saluki fans, ISU fans (both ISUs), Bradley fans, Drake fans and yes, a couple of WSU fans. I don't recall a single problem ever. There may be some good natured ribbing going back and forth, but everyone just laughed it off and had a good time. It is one of the things that makes our conference tourney such a good experience.

If you ever go to the MVC tourney and stay at a hotel that isn't your own team's, you will run into fans of other schools wearing their colors. If you are friendly, I've found that most of them like to chat.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » October 24th, 2010, 9:15 pm

MoValley John wrote:Darnit, I said my work here was done, but I just reread Matt's blather.

I only have one point, and this is to shove it in a Shocker fans's face. Not every Shocker fan, just one.

This is for you, WSUbballer!!!

You have in the past questioned my fan loyalty. You have in the past accused me of being a closet Creighton homer. I have denied it. I have been open in that my three favorites in the Valley are Creighton, Drake and Wichita State. Well I guess I never, ever again have to defend myself when I take the Creighton side over the Wichita State side in a debate. You see, I HATE CREIGHTON!!!

I didn't know that I hated Creighton, but I do. I really hate Creighton. And you can't say otherwise because Matty P confirmed it! I didn't see it the first time I scanned his work, but right there in the middle, he says this: [b]Ok, so you hate Creighton [/b]... that's fine but you are being idiotic trying to speak about an entire fanbase.

So baller, in the future feel free to question my loyalty, but never, ever, ever again think for one second that I harbor any favorable opinions of the Bluejays. And we'll all just ignore the fact that unlike Matty P, I live in Omaha, have lived here a lot longer than he did in his four or five year stint and I do pay for season tickets to Bluejay basketball.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If the professional media mogul saidith, then it is as good as gold. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » October 24th, 2010, 9:17 pm

MoValley John wrote:But that's not the funny part, the funny part is the Rivals website remark. Oh my God is that funny! Is it just me, or is that right out of tornado's playbook?

That was indeed pure gold. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Does Matty P have a blog along with his facebook and twitter?
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » October 24th, 2010, 9:21 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
WSUbballer wrote:2.) You can have certain respect but I dunno about going into bars and drinking with them. That usually tends to make things worse with true rivals.

I'm certain that when you are involved, the other party has no desire to sit down and shoot the bull over a few beers. :lol:

For most adults though, there really is no problem with doing so. Over the years in St Louis, I 've had drinks with Saluki fans, ISU fans (both ISUs), Bradley fans, Drake fans and yes, a couple of WSU fans. I don't recall a single problem ever. There may be some good natured ribbing going back and forth, but everyone just laughed it off and had a good time. It is one of the things that makes our conference tourney such a good experience.

If you ever go to the MVC tourney and stay at a hotel that isn't your own team's, you will run into fans of other schools wearing their colors. If you are friendly, I've found that most of them like to chat.

I've stayed at hotels that didn't have just all Shocker fans. I've encountered many opposing fans over the years that were great. I honestly have never encountered any BJ fan in St. Louis where I went out of my way to chat with them. I also didn't recall seeing very many BU and ILSU fans conversing, nor SIU and CU fans. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. I dunno.

Yes, it's a fun event and if things don't get too competitive, it's fun to sit down with the majority of fanbases. Unless you're close friends with people, you just don't see KU and KSU fans hanging around too closely, as I'm sure it's the same with most fanbases who have some heat between them.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » October 24th, 2010, 9:52 pm

And I just wanted to add, as I do so many times, for as much as I can't stand CU, I do feel sorry for them regarding them being associated with that professional media mogul. Their message board gets overran in a flash. They get embarrassed because of constant twittering/facebook issues that puts Creighton in a dark shadow. Every article he rights is littered with grammar abnormalities that make the site look third-rate, which in turn makes Creighton look third-rate.

The list goes on and on and I'd be here a while if I mentioned every single detail. In short, even CU doesn't deserve this much embarrassing garbage. For the sake of the conference, it would be best if he got dropkicked all the way back to Massachusetts and into endless obscurity where he truly belongs.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » October 24th, 2010, 11:02 pm

WSUbballer wrote: Every article he rights is littered with grammar abnormalities that make the site look third-rate, which in turn makes Creighton look third-rate.

When you are being the grammar police, it helps if you spell words correctly. :oops: :oops: :oops:
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » October 24th, 2010, 11:26 pm

Wow, insert foot into mouth.

It's spreading.. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WuDrWu » October 25th, 2010, 5:14 am

cpacmel wrote:
WuDrWu wrote:
Other than that, WSU is the one game every other team in this conference points to, like it or not. Doesn't matter if WSU is good or not, everybody circles the WSU game.

Whoa. I didn't know Cold posted here. :o

WuDrWu, please tell me my sarcasm meter is broken and you don't honestly believe this, do you?

I have to tell you, one year (several years ago) a couple of kids at Arch Madness asked me if I was 'Cold during a random conversation. I laughed for days. It still makes me chuckle.

You know me mel, and I don't think I have to answer that question.
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball