Best Rivalry

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Best Rivalry

Postby AndShock » October 23rd, 2010, 12:48 pm

PricklyPete wrote:
AndShock wrote:White outs, NIT banners, and harassing WSU fans in St. Louis = not a rivalry

Trust me, things were a lot more heated between CU and SIU during the last decade than they have ever been with Wichita.

Don't see what that has to do with a rivalry between CU/WSU. Unless a team can only have one rival.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Veritas » October 23rd, 2010, 1:19 pm

To me personally, WSU has no rival in the Moval except whatever team they happen to be playing that particular night. WSU's only rivalry (Tulsa) died some years back.

I do like the WSU v MSU matchups in basketball and baseball but that could simply be a matter of personal respect for MSU and it does generate some excitement in both cities, and there is somewhat of a geographic proximity issue (at least for Moval standards).

Currently, I think the IlSU v BU is probably the best Moval rivalry.
Veritas
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby shockalot » October 23rd, 2010, 3:35 pm

Its a matter of which time frame one chooses to look at, of course. If you look at some historically important meetings between WSU and CU when both went to the NCAA tournament in the 60's with great basketball teams and notable players WSU spanked CU in consecutive years. CU wasn't a member of the Valley at that time. There were some good teams for both schools in the 80's when CU returned to the Valley, and some very competitive games. Not sure what the win/lose ownership was in those years. Certainly while WSU sucked in the 90's and early ott's we were owned by SIU and CU.
I think what WSU fans have been saying to CU fans is prepare for another change in ownership.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby WuDrWu » October 23rd, 2010, 4:24 pm

Bradley v ISU and it's not close.

Other than that, WSU is the one game every other team in this conference points to, like it or not. Doesn't matter if WSU is good or not, everybody circles the WSU game.

It's just the way it is, whether a few underage drinking, trust fund, wannabe pretty boys in Omaha want to admit it or not.
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby sixth ace » October 23rd, 2010, 6:12 pm

The UE vs SIU goes back into the 60's and still continues today. It has been a game that has filled Roberts Stadium for many years
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » October 23rd, 2010, 9:39 pm

PricklyPete wrote:
shockalot wrote:The current version of the Valley's best old rivalry is probably Il.St. and BU. It used to be WSU and Tulsa. Before SIU slipped CU and SIU had a decent rivalry going. There is a bit of a rivalry between WSU and MSU over the years, but the fact that CU hates getting beat by WSU and WSU hates getting beat by CU pretty much more than anyone else in the Valley respectively would make that a strong rivalry between contenders IF CU could stand to acknowledge WSU as their equal. But that is such a bitter pill for them to swallow, yet they have no choice but to take their medicine. Apply White out here.

It's Bradley vs Illinois.

Why WSU fans want Creighton to consider them a rival I don't quite understand. SIU was certainly CU's rival over the last decade and I suspect with the McDermott angle that CU-UNI has the potential to develop into a great rivalry in the future. At least part of CU fans lack of rivalry status for Wichita is probably due to the one sided nature of the games over the last 10-15 years. I don't recall Altman's record against WSU, but it was pretty remarkable. If the teams are ever battling for the top of the conference year in and year out, then a rivalry might develop in Jays' fans perspective.

There's other circumstances and factors that go into rivalries. Surely you're smart enough to know this.

It's hard to take a post seriously after "Bradley vs. Illinois" was said to be the biggest rivalry.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » October 23rd, 2010, 9:42 pm

PricklyPete wrote:
AndShock wrote:White outs, NIT banners, and harassing WSU fans in St. Louis = not a rivalry

Trust me, things were a lot more heated between CU and SIU during the last decade than they have ever been with Wichita.

You are proving Shockalot's point to a tee on how CU fans are too elite to acknowledge something so obvious. Please continue.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » October 23rd, 2010, 9:43 pm

PricklyPete wrote:It's a comment that Jays fans haven't looked WSU as a rival because SIU was the rival. The games between CU and SIU mattered more and the Dawgs had the upper hand which made the series that much more frustrating to Jays fans. In a way, the similarity might be that WSU fans see Creighton as their rival because it is a team they haven't been able to get past and have been owned by, much like the Jays for a period of years against SIU.

What can you do for me lately?

CU hasn't owned **** in the last 3 years. Don't flatter yourself.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 45otseoj » October 24th, 2010, 1:10 am

Great rivalries don't rely on circumstance; they just "are".
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEELINE » October 24th, 2010, 5:40 am

The Bradley/Illinois State rivalry has the most historical, sustained venom regardless of either teams success or lack thereof year in and year out. Similar but of less intensity is the Creighton/UNI relationship, but that could easily get a bit more heated in the coming years given some of the dynamics at play. WSU fans have certainly tried to foster a rivalry [at least on this board] with Creighton, but most Creighton fans I've talked to still see SIU as the team they love to hate. I think the results have been too lobsided in Creighton's favor the last couple decades for a large segment of their fan base to have much emotional investment in that one.It has potential, but only if both teams have sustained success over the next 3-5 years to where the games actually have championship impact.

MSU always considered SIU a prime rival, but the CU/SIU thing and the fact we just weren't good enough to contend for titles with them yearly during that time, diverted most of that energy. I feel similar to Veritas in that the Bear's have no true current rival, but WuDrWu clearly doesn't grasp that just as WSU does with Creighton, most teams point at teams either regional or at the top of the league as their targets, so WSU[ 7100 attendance in 09/10] has garnered a lot less focus in Springfield than games against CU and UNI[ 9,000+ attendance in 09/10]the last few years. That might be different this year if WSU and MSU actually meet expectations and contend for the title.
BEELINE
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball