Best Rivalry

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Best Rivalry

Postby jaysfan24 » October 24th, 2010, 8:40 am

Out with the old (CU/SIU), in with the new ( CU/UNI).
jaysfan24
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 24th, 2010, 9:23 am

PricklyPete wrote:
shockalot wrote:The current version of the Valley's best old rivalry is probably Il.St. and BU. It used to be WSU and Tulsa. Before SIU slipped CU and SIU had a decent rivalry going. There is a bit of a rivalry between WSU and MSU over the years, but the fact that CU hates getting beat by WSU and WSU hates getting beat by CU pretty much more than anyone else in the Valley respectively would make that a strong rivalry between contenders IF CU could stand to acknowledge WSU as their equal. But that is such a bitter pill for them to swallow, yet they have no choice but to take their medicine. Apply White out here.

It's Bradley vs Illinois.

Why WSU fans want Creighton to consider them a rival I don't quite understand. SIU was certainly CU's rival over the last decade and I suspect with the McDermott angle that CU-UNI has the potential to develop into a great rivalry in the future. At least part of CU fans lack of rivalry status for Wichita is probably due to the one sided nature of the games over the last 10-15 years. I don't recall Altman's record against WSU, but it was pretty remarkable. If the teams are ever battling for the top of the conference year in and year out, then a rivalry might develop in Jays' fans perspective.

I disagree with this analysis.

The reason that SIU/CU became a rivalry is that every game meant something. You knew that the games were going to determine a title of some sort - whether it be the regular season crown or the tourney championship. As a result, the intensity and the pressure was ratcheted up several notches naturally. You don't need to fire up a fanbase when you know the outcome of the game will determine a title.

The same thing has not yet happened with WSU/CU. If those two schools start competing against one another for titles, I could see a rivalry taking off. Until that happens though, the game isn't going to get the juices flowing for a non-message board Creighton fan.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 24th, 2010, 10:03 am

AndShock wrote:Unless a team can only have one rival.

That is kind of the problem here. Despite their struggles, Nebraska is already another of Creighton's rivals. Nebraska alums are our co-workers, spouses, siblings, neighbors, etc. We eat with them and sit by them every day. Although they are not in our conference, to a certain segment of the fanbase, that game is and always will be one of the most important on the schedule each year.

Within the conference, I found out last year that drake considers Creighton their rival. In theory, Drake would be Creighton's most natural rival in that they are the closest conference opponent, they are a private school that stresses academics like CU and both universities recruit the same kids for their undergrad classes.

If SIU can get it turned around, that rivalry will take little time to get jump started. Too much history there.

With McDermott now on board at CU, combined with his son "moving" to CU, I expect that UNI fans will consider CU their rival too.

We all know WSU considers CU their rival.

Every game can't be a rivalry; if they are, then you really don't have any rivals.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pawball » October 24th, 2010, 10:13 am

Speaking for Bears fans, imo WSU and SIU are probably considered the biggest rivals in basketball....about same distance/time. Bears and Shocks have been at each other harder due to keen competition over the years in not just men's basketball but also women's basketball, baseball and volleyball.
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MoValley John » October 24th, 2010, 11:01 am

Here is the CU/ WSU deal. Wichita State fans consider this a rivalry, Creighton message board fans consider this a rivalry. Matt Perrault considers this a rivalry. Creighton fans in general, do not.

Believe it or not, Creighton doesn't get enough ink in the local press to have a lot of traction in building a rivalry, the college sports media begins with Nebraska football and ends with Nebraska football. Developing a rivalry with the local masses will be very difficult when the local disseminators of sports news and information ignore Creighton. The SIU rivalry was able to be built because every game againts SIU had the potential to punch a ticket to the NCAA, that created enough buzz to draw the attention of the local media. Complaints about phantom lob plays and the antics of Matt Perrault are not going to get any ink in the local fishwrap, nor the local broadcast media at large.

When Matt Perrault came to Omaha, for whatever reason, he latched on to Creighton basketball. One of his first observations was that Creighton did not have a rival. HE also noticed the Wichita STate considered Creighton their rival, Matt Perrault tried to build the rivalry. He still is trying. Unfortunately for Matt, he never grew an audience so his efforts were largely the like of "If a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears it" variety. Matt Perrault believes there is a rivalry, he is still trying to build it.

Do I believe there is a rivalry? Sure, but only as far as it extended to people that read these forums. It is a big internet rivalry. But that is as far as it goes. Anyone that has visited Omaha and talked to people about Creighton basketball know that the general public doesn't consider Wichita State a rival of Creighton. They do know that Creighton considers SIU a rival. Sort of.

In the end, much of this is a slam towards Creighton because in Wichita, they get the local press to cover the Shockers like a major program, the fans are aware of the "rivalry". In Omaha, Creighton gets just enough press to be considered a half a step above UNO. Creoighton fans aren't in denial of the WIchita State rivalry, because the team doesn't get adequate coverage, the fans are oblivious.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » October 24th, 2010, 11:22 am

MoValley John wrote:Here is the CU/ WSU deal. Wichita State fans consider this a rivalry, Creighton message board fans consider this a rivalry. Matt Perrault considers this a rivalry. Creighton fans in general, do not.

Believe it or not, Creighton doesn't get enough ink in the local press to have a lot of traction in building a rivalry, the college sports media begins with Nebraska football and ends with Nebraska football. Developing a rivalry with the local masses will be very difficult when the local disseminators of sports news and information ignore Creighton. The SIU rivalry was able to be built because every game againts SIU had the potential to punch a ticket to the NCAA, that created enough buzz to draw the attention of the local media. Complaints about phantom lob plays and the antics of Matt Perrault are not going to get any ink in the local fishwrap, nor the local broadcast media at large.

When Matt Perrault came to Omaha, for whatever reason, he latched on to Creighton basketball. One of his first observations was that Creighton did not have a rival. HE also noticed the Wichita STate considered Creighton their rival, Matt Perrault tried to build the rivalry. He still is trying. Unfortunately for Matt, he never grew an audience so his efforts were largely the like of "If a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears it" variety. Matt Perrault believes there is a rivalry, he is still trying to build it.

Do I believe there is a rivalry? Sure, but only as far as it extended to people that read these forums. It is a big internet rivalry. But that is as far as it goes. Anyone that has visited Omaha and talked to people about Creighton basketball know that the general public doesn't consider Wichita State a rival of Creighton. They do know that Creighton considers SIU a rival. Sort of.

In the end, much of this is a slam towards Creighton because in Wichita, they get the local press to cover the Shockers like a major program, the fans are aware of the "rivalry". In Omaha, Creighton gets just enough press to be considered a half a step above UNO. Creoighton fans aren't in denial of the WIchita State rivalry, because the team doesn't get adequate coverage, the fans are oblivious.

Solid. *Thumbs up*

The internet BJ fans who deny the rivalry are the ones that make me laugh the most. They intentionally deny it because they think it pisses off WSU fans. And why do they wanna do it? Because it's a rivalry. It's what their sub-conscience tells them to do. Otherwise, they wouldn't care so much.

I can't remember the last time DJA took a potshot at SIU. WSU is his choice of all choices.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 24th, 2010, 11:55 am

WSUbballer wrote:I can't remember the last time DJA took a potshot at SIU. WSU is his choice of all choices.

Couple of things:

(1) It is no fun to kick a down program. When SIU was strong, I used to exchange smack-talk with them regularly and they all took it pretty well. None of them seemed to take it as personally as you do.
(2) I harbor no ill will toward SIU fans. Over the years I've met and drank with quite a few of them in St Louis. A rivalry doesn't have to be pure hatred - you can have a lot of respect for the other program, even though you want to beat them more than anything else. It is no joy to see them struggle as I miss the intense battles between CU/SIU.
(3) You are just thin skinned and notice the WSU comments more. If you read what I wrote above about a budding rivalry between WSU & CU, I am less harsh than any of the other CU fans. The fact is that there has not been a game yet between WSU & CU where there was a title (regular season or tourney) on the line. As I stated above, when that starts happening, I could see a good rivalry developing.
(4) WSU hasn't won in Omaha since before some of the current WSU hoopsters were even born. It is hard to get casual fans to consider a team a rival when that is the case.
Last edited by DoubleJayAlum on October 24th, 2010, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Shockerfan13 » October 24th, 2010, 1:37 pm

BU/ISU is the ONLY true rivalry IMHO.

SIU/CU were only "rivals" for a short period (in terms of the life of the MVC and beyond) because they were both fighting each other for the top spot recently. To me a true rivalry goes beyond that. To me a rivalry is when you are both fighting for the top you want nothing more than to knock that other team down...no matter what it takes. Or if your rival is a bottom feeder you want nothing more than to demolish them by 45 points just to rub their face in the dirt and spit on them while you do it (figuratively speaking of course). If it's only a heated rivalry when both teams are among the top, then it's not a rivalry.
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUbballer » October 24th, 2010, 1:41 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
WSUbballer wrote:I can't remember the last time DJA took a potshot at SIU. WSU is his choice of all choices.

Couple of things:

(1) It is no fun to kick a down program. When SIU was strong, I used to exchange smack-talk with them regularly and they all took it pretty well. None of them seemed to take it as personally as you do.
(2) I harbor no ill will toward SIU fans. Over the years I've met and drank with quite a few of them in St Louis. A rivalry doesn't have to be pure hatred - you can have a lot of respect for the other program, even though you want to beat them more than anything else. It is no joy to see them struggle as I miss the intense battles between CU/WSU.
(3) You are just thin skinned and notice the WSU comments more. If you read what I wrote above about a budding rivalry between WSU & CU, I am less harsh than any of the other CU fans. The fact is that there has not been a game yet between WSU & CU where there was a title (regular season or tourney) on the line. As I stated above, when that starts happening, I could see a good rivalry developing.
(4) WSU hasn't won in Omaha since before some of the current WSU hoopsters were even born. It is hard to get casual fans to consider a team a rival when that is the case.

1.) If SIU is a true rival, then it should be no problem to kick them while they're down.
2.) You can have certain respect but I dunno about going into bars and drinking with them. That usually tends to make things worse with true rivals. By the way, I don't understand the last sentence. I assume it was another brain fart.
3.) Not thin-skinned at all. I've seen you on the Cafe in the past when Nebraska fans access the board. That would be considered "thin-skinned." As far as WSU and CU not competing for titles is concerned, that is debatable. There have been several quarterfinal and semifinal clashes in St. Louis that would ultimately help eliminate one's titles' fate. Since the mid-2000's, the two have played some very close regular season games. WSU continues to be one of CU's biggest draw in Omaha. It also doesn't help the years WSU has been competing for titles, CU limped to the finish. I'd call it bad timing more than anything else.
4.) If that's the case, then why are so many drawn to the WSU games at the Qwest Center? Why are there university-sponsored events called "Whiteout for Wichita"? That seems to make little difference in the whole rivalry aspect.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WuDrWu » October 24th, 2010, 2:44 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote: If those two schools start competing against one another for titles, I could see a rivalry taking off. Until that happens though, the game isn't going to get the juices flowing for a Nebraska Cornhusker fan.

Fixed.
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball