First UNI, Now MSU?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: First UNI, Now MSU?

Postby beatingrillz » October 25th, 2010, 6:46 pm

The Value added is any money from concessions, clothing, cattle sales, wine grant and the new addition of the Missouri School of Agriculture. Last year the Ag department was on the books against the university while the grants for the school were listed seperate from the general fund. This is not to say the school is operating in the black but they are not struggling near as much as the aduit implied I think money will continue to be an issue. As for the issue of JQH I think most fans love the new arena and are hoping with the increase in season ticket sales this year on both the mens and womens side and the addition of a new ticket structure should help with the red numbers.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MoValley John » October 25th, 2010, 9:23 pm

beatingrillz wrote:The Value added is any money from concessions, clothing, cattle sales, wine grant and the new addition of the Missouri School of Agriculture. Last year the Ag department was on the books against the university while the grants for the school were listed seperate from the general fund. This is not to say the school is operating in the black but they are not struggling near as much as the aduit implied I think money will continue to be an issue. As for the issue of JQH I think most fans love the new arena and are hoping with the increase in season ticket sales this year on both the mens and womens side and the addition of a new ticket structure should help with the red numbers.

I can hear the facepalms being done in Missouri right now. Your fellow Bear fans just did a collective WTF. Who in their right mind would discuss and attempt to defend the financial well being of an athletic department by bringing up cattle sales? For the record, the NCAA doesn't sanction cattle sales. Wrestling, yes, cattle sales, no. Cattle sales has nothing to do with athletics.

Cattle sales!!!!
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby beatingrillz » October 25th, 2010, 9:37 pm

You asked I simply stated what it was. When the school needs money they can borrow it from several different place most recently they borrowed money against the school cattle herd.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MoValley John » October 25th, 2010, 9:44 pm

beatingrillz wrote:You asked I simply stated what it was. When the school needs money they can borrow it from several different place most recently they borrowed money against the school cattle herd.

Just stop. Please. Please, please stop!

:o :lol: :o :lol: :o :lol:
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby beatingrillz » October 25th, 2010, 10:04 pm

They can laugh all they want but its not the Athletic department that is short 7 mil and even the university isnt short 7 mil it is opperating 100% in the black with the help of donations and other revenues. Just because the means is odd doesn't change how the fact that the money is there.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MoValley John » October 25th, 2010, 10:09 pm

beatingrillz wrote:They can laugh all they want but its not the Athletic department that is short 7 mil and even the university isnt short 7 mil it is opperating 100% in the black with the help of donations and other revenues. Just because the means is odd doesn't change how the fact that the money is there.

Several universities own cattle herds, there is nothing funny about that. The fact of the matter is this, if your athletic department is drawing revenue from general funds to make ends meet, your athletic department is not in the black, it doesn't matter if your school has the biggest herd in the world.

And once academia and politicians start attacking your athletic budget, you are in trouble. This has happened, did you read the article in the News Leader? Cattle herd or not, this stuff doesn't go away. And as far as your audit, that was just embarrassing to read.
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » October 25th, 2010, 10:17 pm

In a sea of negativity, here's a positive story. UNI grad donates 10 million for scholarships.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/articl ... 868c6.html
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby beatingrillz » October 25th, 2010, 10:20 pm

you right I give up, every school has the luxury of the Journigans.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MoValley John » October 25th, 2010, 10:29 pm

I will make this easy for you. Forget cattle sales, what people are questioning is the direct institutional support that helps fund athletics. In other words, at Missouri State, in order for the athletic department to break even, the university gives the athletic department money. According to USA Today, in 2008-09 that number was $5,112,403.00. In other words, if Missouri State didn't receive that money, the athletic department would have lost roughly $5,112,403.00. Here is the link wioth the figure: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ncaa-finances.htm?loc=interstitialskip

And since times are tough, people are looking for ways to cut costs, at Missouri State, people are targeting the $5,112,403.00 received in direct institutional support. People within the university and politicians are beginning to say that the $5,112,403.00 could be put to better use elsewhere. What is not calcuable is a the non-monetary impact athletcis has on the school, city and region. If they could calculate it, I'm sure it would be much greater than $5,112,403.00. But alas, the value of Missouri State athletics is being questioned and that is a huge, huge problem. While the University of Missouri has plenty of clout and can withstand and even scoff at such attacks on their athletic department, Missouri State cannot.

And none of this has anything to do with your immensly successful cattle herd. It is all about the $5,112,403.00 that some pencil necked professor wants spent on additional tenure, marker boards and erasers instead of basketballs and jockstraps.
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby beatingrillz » October 25th, 2010, 10:42 pm

I understand the theory and i have read the article. I also sat in on the reading of the audit last week and at no point was the athletics the main point of issue only after a former mizzou beat writer took the stance you read in that article was there ever a question. Yes there is a deficit for JQH but that is not in the athletic budget, yes there was discrepency in some coaches sallary even in Coach Martins but those questions have been answered. It is never good to have the school looked at in this light, huge mistakes were made under the previous administration and one can only hope that things will turn around soon.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball