First UNI, Now MSU?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: First UNI, Now MSU?

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 27th, 2010, 12:28 pm

TNMSUFAN wrote:My bad...added UNI

Thanks. Seeing the UNI figures, I think "fixing" UNI's situation is pretty obvious - the students need to contribute more. Since the student contribution is $4 million less than the next closest school with football and the direct institutional support is between $1.9 and 2.3 million more than the next closest school with football, the students have some work to do to bring everything into balance with the school's peers. (Note: I don't think that WSU's numbers are comparable because they don't have to finance football, so I made my comparison against other schools with football).

I wonder what effect that sort of jump in student fees would have on enrollment. What is UNI's current enrollment? How much would it cost per student in additional student fees to make up the $4 million gap between UNI and the next closest school with football?

In some ways, I think these figures are valuable to WSU backers that want to get an idea of the ongoing costs of adding football.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby unipanther99 » October 27th, 2010, 1:04 pm

I think the philosophy at UNI (and all of the state schools in Iowa really) is to keep student fees as low as possible. Student fees tend to be more of a hidden cost of education. So we have chosen to support athletics primarily through the general fund, supported by tuition (over half) and state funding. The portion of funding from student fees goes primarily to offset the cost of allowing students into events at no additional cost and maintaining facilities and equipment that all students can take advantage of.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby SirShoxAlot » October 27th, 2010, 1:27 pm

Dear Eric Sexton,

Pick up football, drop the MVC, help save a dying Big 12 conference. Yes?
SirShoxAlot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby jayball » October 27th, 2010, 1:42 pm

Yes, good idea Shocks.

Call Dan Bebe asap. He will be doing backflips to have another Kansas school to sell to the networks.

WSU.....doing more good than anyone besides Jesus.
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 27th, 2010, 1:43 pm

SirShoxAlot wrote:Dear Eric Sexton,

The problem with this thought is that there is absolutely zero evidence or likelihood that the Big 12 has any interest in WSU. Otherwise, great plan...
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 27th, 2010, 1:46 pm

unipanther99 wrote:I think the philosophy at UNI (and all of the state schools in Iowa really) is to keep student fees as low as possible. Student fees tend to be more of a hidden cost of education. So we have chosen to support athletics primarily through the general fund, supported by tuition (over half) and state funding. The portion of funding from student fees goes primarily to offset the cost of allowing students into events at no additional cost and maintaining facilities and equipment that all students can take advantage of.

So, in essence, UNI chooses to raise tuition instead of having higher student fees and then just sends that extra tuition towards athletics? Isn't the financial impact to the student exactly the same?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » October 27th, 2010, 1:55 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:

The problem with this thought is that there is absolutely zero evidence or likelihood that the Big 12 has any interest in WSU. Otherwise, great plan...

It's hard to generate interest without a football program or a plan to bring back football.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 27th, 2010, 1:59 pm

WSUbballer wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:

It's hard to generate interest without a football program or a plan to bring back football.

Very true.

Of course, there are around one hundred other schools that already have football in place and the Big 12 is not extending offers to any of them either. SirShoxaLot's post seems to imply that all WSu needs to do is "pick up football" and the Big 12 will welcome WSU with open arms. I said there was zero evidence of any such offer forthcoming even if WSU would reinstate football, which seems unlikely anyway.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » October 27th, 2010, 2:12 pm

I have an opinion on this.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WuDrWu » October 27th, 2010, 2:30 pm

MoValley John wrote:I have an opinion on this.

Do share...this thread is in need of some wisdom.
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball