First UNI, Now MSU?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: First UNI, Now MSU?

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 27th, 2010, 2:33 pm

MoValley John wrote:I have an opinion on this.

WSU should quit worrying about football and instead invest all of its athletic department's resources in cattle herds?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby WSUbballer » October 27th, 2010, 2:33 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
WSUbballer wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:The problem with this thought is that there is absolutely zero evidence or likelihood that the Big 12 has any interest in WSU. Otherwise, great plan...

It's hard to generate interest without a football program or a plan to bring back football.

Very true.

Of course, there are around one hundred other schools that already have football in place and the Big 12 is not extending offers to any of them either. SirShoxaLot's post seems to imply that all WSu needs to do is "pick up football" and the Big 12 will welcome WSU with open arms. I said there was zero evidence of any such offer forthcoming even if WSU would reinstate football, which seems unlikely anyway.

SirShox is a bit over-enthusiastic. There is no evidence for sure.

However, there aren't "one hundred other schools" that fits in the Big 12's geographic and financial overlay.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 27th, 2010, 2:35 pm

WSUbballer wrote:SirShox is a bit over-enthusiastic. There is no evidence for sure.

However, there aren't "one hundred other schools" that fits in the Big 12's geographic and financial overlay.

Maybe not, but those "one hundred other schools" have one thing that WSU does not have: football. That puts them in front of WSU in any present Big 12 expansion plans.

Even if the Big 12 were to expand, who is to say it wants another team in its present "geographic overlay." My guess is that another Kansas school does very little to drive ratings nationally.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jayball » October 27th, 2010, 2:52 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:My guess is that another Kansas school does very little to drive ratings nationally.

Well Newman or Friends probably won't help much, but WSU would definitely put the B12 over the top for a big time TV deal.

It would almost be like the B10 landing Notre Dame.
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MoValley John » October 27th, 2010, 2:53 pm

Potential future Big XII schools do not include Tulsa, Missouri State or Wichita State. The last thing the Big XII wants is more schools from Kansas, Missouri or Oklahoma. That is not to say an expansion of the Big XII would not open up a slot or two in C-USA for SIU, MSU or WSU. As the Boy Scouts say, be prepared.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jayball » October 27th, 2010, 3:05 pm

Who in CUSA would help the B12?

Houston? I would assume they already have that market
Memphis? Does anyone care about Memphis football?
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MSUAlumGK » October 27th, 2010, 3:52 pm

I think its important to note what the News Leader article actually said. Yes, I'm a MSU Masters of Accountancy grad and have been in public practice for 18 years and for the record, the auditors are to be blamed for the transposition error on the cash flow statement, although MSU should have caught it before releasing. A $5M transposition error is NOT a $5M misappropriation of funds, lets be clear.

But the article states this "Cofer took issue with Missouri Auditor Susan Montee's report citing a $14.3 million deficit in the two-year period from 2007-2009.
The audit said MSU transferred about $8.9 million in private gifts from its foundation to the athletic department in the two-year period, along with $5.5 million from the university operating fund."

Yes even with my MSU Masters, I can do the math, the $14.3M deficit she refers to really isn't $14.3M when there are $8.9 million in gifts, which are earmarked for athletics and are similar year after year. That is a $5.5M deficit OVER TWO YEARS, making it $2.75M per year. Still a lot and I agree with MOValley...this is very, very crappy exposure for the university. Gee, wonder how much student fees would add? Enough to cover?

Just my humble 2 cents
MSUAlumGK
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby unipanther99 » October 27th, 2010, 9:29 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:I think the philosophy at UNI (and all of the state schools in Iowa really) is to keep student fees as low as possible. Student fees tend to be more of a hidden cost of education. So we have chosen to support athletics primarily through the general fund, supported by tuition (over half) and state funding. The portion of funding from student fees goes primarily to offset the cost of allowing students into events at no additional cost and maintaining facilities and equipment that all students can take advantage of.

So, in essence, UNI chooses to raise tuition instead of having higher student fees and then just sends that extra tuition towards athletics? Isn't the financial impact to the student exactly the same?

Yes, and yes. And I think our tuition is still fairly low compared to other peer schools.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby TNMSUFAN » October 28th, 2010, 7:07 am

The other numbers from the USA Today database that were interesting were the contributions . WSU received $5.6 mil more than the closest university but still has student fees and direct institutional support...without football. Also, I was surprised SIU had the highest "total operating expenses".

Contributions

IL State - $1.4 mil
IN State - $766 k
MO State - $3.3 mil
N. Iowa - $2.6 mil
S. Illinois - $2.6 mil
Wichita St - $8.9 mil

Total operation expenses

IL State - $15 mil
IN State - $11 mil
MO State - $14 mil
N. Iowa - $17 mil
S. Illinois - $20 mil
Wichita St - $18 mil
TNMSUFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby RoyalShock » October 28th, 2010, 12:55 pm

I know a chunk of those WSU student fees are going to pay the bond used to finance the arena renovations. Some of the direct institutional support may also be for that purpose, but I'm not sure.

Those contributions are why we can pay our coaches well without being concerned their salaries are going to be a drag on the athletic department.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball