First UNI, Now MSU?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: First UNI, Now MSU?

Postby gtmoBlue » October 26th, 2010, 2:14 pm

Unfortunately for Bradley, WSU, and CU there is nowhere to go conference-wise.

One alternative is to drop ISU-B, Evansville, UNI, and MSU - and recruit regional schools from other conferences who would gain a financial boost from MVC membership: WKU, SLU, Tulsa, and DePaul, or perhaps Dayton or Butler.

Just a thought.
When in doubt...Be Bold!
gtmoBlue
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TNMSUFAN » October 26th, 2010, 5:16 pm

Not sure about the private schools but we are the only public school in the Valley that doesn't use "student fees" to support our athletic programs. Here are the dollar amounts of student fees generated.

Student fees for Valley Teams

MO State - $0
IL State - $7.2 million
IN State - $5.2 million
N. Iowa - $1.2 million
S. Illinois - $8.9 million
Wichita St - $2.9 million

Even with those fees the other 5 still had to get some direct institutional support

Direct institutional support

IL State - $2.2 million
IN State - $2.0 million
N. Iowa - $5.3 million
S. Illinois - $3.5 million
Wichita St - $1.8 million

Even with all that WSU was the only school that made money
Last edited by TNMSUFAN on October 27th, 2010, 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
TNMSUFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 26th, 2010, 8:33 pm

Thanks for the info TM. Do you have UNIs figures?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » October 26th, 2010, 8:53 pm

UNI receives 1.2M in student fees. I believe it is the lowest in the conf.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » October 26th, 2010, 10:22 pm

valleychamp wrote:UNI receives 1.2M in student fees. I believe it is the lowest in the conf.

Missouri State has zero in student fees, outside of the private institutions, the lowest in the league.

My gripe isn't how much is paid in student fees and direct institutional support, it is why do schools like UNI and MSU allow your athletic departments to be beat up by politicians and angry professors? The fact remains that even if UNI and or MSU received 12 mil in public funding for athletics, it would be just one drop in the bucket of the overall university budget. Chump change for what athletic the departments really deliver.

In my opinion, this war is being fought all wrong. Rather than tap dancing around the issue by telling the regents and trustees how the school will do a better job and cut costs and become more efficient, a strong case needs to be made for the value of athletics at your institution. A better case needs to be made that the $7-10 million is a freaking bargain. Regardless if they are profitable or not, nobody questions the value of athletics at the University of Iowa and the University of Missouri. Yet when it comes to UNI and MSU, these pinheads talk about your $7- 10 million deficits as if they are crippling the school and that somehow the money could be better used somewhere else.

Once again, the money spent on athletics at UNI and MSU is a bargain, essential for esprit de corps and vital to the local economy. Furthermore, I'm sure your local businesses feel a boost from activity before and after big games and events. The university benefits by getting its name out into the public and athletics boosts student recruitment. Sure, UNI, MSU and all schools need to constantly review how they spend their athletic money, but right now, what both schools get in return is a bargain. Unfortunately, that part if the story is not being sold very hard and until it is, these issues will continue to reoccur, stories will continue to pop up in the loca paper and one day the other side will win by gaining major reductions in athletic funding or having the athletic department cut off completely from public funds.

My opinion is that the pro athletic funding crowd needs to become proactive and take to the offensive on the issue. Right now, that isn't happening. This is a serious, serious issue.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TNMSUFAN » October 27th, 2010, 9:52 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:Thanks for the info TM. Do you have UNIs figures?

My bad...added UNI
TNMSUFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 27th, 2010, 12:28 pm

TNMSUFAN wrote:My bad...added UNI

Thanks. Seeing the UNI figures, I think "fixing" UNI's situation is pretty obvious - the students need to contribute more. Since the student contribution is $4 million less than the next closest school with football and the direct institutional support is between $1.9 and 2.3 million more than the next closest school with football, the students have some work to do to bring everything into balance with the school's peers. (Note: I don't think that WSU's numbers are comparable because they don't have to finance football, so I made my comparison against other schools with football).

I wonder what effect that sort of jump in student fees would have on enrollment. What is UNI's current enrollment? How much would it cost per student in additional student fees to make up the $4 million gap between UNI and the next closest school with football?

In some ways, I think these figures are valuable to WSU backers that want to get an idea of the ongoing costs of adding football.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » October 27th, 2010, 1:04 pm

I think the philosophy at UNI (and all of the state schools in Iowa really) is to keep student fees as low as possible. Student fees tend to be more of a hidden cost of education. So we have chosen to support athletics primarily through the general fund, supported by tuition (over half) and state funding. The portion of funding from student fees goes primarily to offset the cost of allowing students into events at no additional cost and maintaining facilities and equipment that all students can take advantage of.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby SirShoxAlot » October 27th, 2010, 1:27 pm

Dear Eric Sexton,

Pick up football, drop the MVC, help save a dying Big 12 conference. Yes?
SirShoxAlot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby jayball » October 27th, 2010, 1:42 pm

Yes, good idea Shocks.

Call Dan Bebe asap. He will be doing backflips to have another Kansas school to sell to the networks.

WSU.....doing more good than anyone besides Jesus.
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball