What happens to each MVC team?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby CBB_Fan » December 15th, 2012, 6:02 pm

With recent reports, I think it is fair to say that the conference's days are probably numbered. That isn't to say it will immediately disappear, but in 5-10 years the conference could be practically emptied.

I think Creighton will eventually go to the Big East, but may not be in the first expansion (I think Butler, Xavier, and Saint Louis will join first, and then we'll see a second round of expansion after a media deal is signed).

Illinois State and UNI may be the next to leave. Illinois State goes to the MAC, and UNI either follows them or goes to C-USA. This would probably be announced a year after Creighton is expected to leave for the new Big East.

Wichita State would be absolutely desperate to leave then, and would be lobbying the MWC and A-10 incredibly hard. They go as an all-sports member to the MWC if Gonzaga does not fill that role (they have 9 all-sports members and 10 football schools counting Hawaii, which is football only). However, they would first try and get into the new Big East, but only have a 5% chance of getting in, if that.

The question is what happens to the rest of the conference. I think indiana State will try to get into the MAC, and those Evansville to the Horizon League rumors may get stronger, but ultimately I think what happens is that the MVC survives by stealing teams from other conferences. You'd have Drake, Bradley, MSU, Evansville, SIU, and maybe Indiana State. Then, those schools would start by getting teams like SIU-E, the Dakotas, and similar schools, eventually ending up with a 9-10 team league.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: What happens to each MVC team?

Postby lime » December 15th, 2012, 6:14 pm

Can UNI afford to upgrade to FBS? They're under pressure to stop bleeding taxpayer money, and I'm not sure they're going to get enough TV money in the MAC to offset the increased scholarships and travel. The UNI-Dome would be the smallest venue in 1-A, and it would not be easy to expand.
lime
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby uniftw » December 15th, 2012, 6:15 pm

lime wrote:Can UNI afford to upgrade to FBS? They're under pressure to stop bleeding taxpayer money, and I'm not sure they're going to get enough TV money in the MAC to offset the increased scholarships and travel. The UNI-Dome would be the smallest venue in 1-A, and it would not be easy to expand.

Yes...There have been multiple articles about how the new playoff format actually increases revenue across the board for football programs top to bottom.

Also false, it wouldn't be the smallest. However, a stadium upgrade would be needed sooner than it would if we were still FCS.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby lime » December 15th, 2012, 6:19 pm

uniftw wrote:
lime wrote:Can UNI afford to upgrade to FBS? They're under pressure to stop bleeding taxpayer money, and I'm not sure they're going to get enough TV money in the MAC to offset the increased scholarships and travel. The UNI-Dome would be the smallest venue in 1-A, and it would not be easy to expand.

Yes...There have been multiple articles about how the new playoff format actually increases revenue across the board for football programs top to bottom.

Also false, it wouldn't be the smallest. However, a stadium upgrade would be needed sooner than it would if we were still FCS.

It would be 324 seats larger than Idaho (currently the smallest), and they may not stay FBS for the long run. It would be significantly smaller than every other stadium.
lime
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby uniftw » December 15th, 2012, 6:23 pm

lime wrote:
uniftw wrote:

It would be 324 seats larger than Idaho (currently the smallest), and they may not stay FBS for the long run. It would be significantly smaller than every other stadium.

I wasn't debating size compared to other stadiums....just pointing out it isn't the smallest. The UNIDome can hold crowds over 17000 as well, and has in the past.

I also said a new stadium would be needed, in the 25K seat range.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bluejay09Bear06 » December 15th, 2012, 6:36 pm

CBB_Fan wrote:Then, those schools would start by getting teams like SIU-E, the Dakotas, and similar schools, eventually ending up with a 9-10 team league.

Why does everyone constantly mention the Dakotas, SIU-E, and other scrubs that just put up their D1 flag for expansion candidates? We're the MVC, not the Summit League. Logical expansion candidates include the best of the Horizon (Milwaukee, Loyola, Valpo), Denver, and Oral Roberts. Anything below that caliber of schools would be absolutely idiotic.
Bluejay09Bear06
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Haha » December 15th, 2012, 6:54 pm

Adding schools to be adding is idiotic.

No need to add anyone if CU or if CU/EU both leave. You can have a league with 8 schools. Why in the F*** is everybody so anxious to bring in a couple programs that won't increase tournament bids.

The names I seen thrown out....goodness gracious. Get a grip people
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheAsianSensation » December 15th, 2012, 7:02 pm

CBB_Fan wrote:
Wichita State would be absolutely desperate to leave then, and would be lobbying the MWC and A-10 incredibly hard. They go as an all-sports member to the MWC if Gonzaga does not fill that role (they have 9 all-sports members and 10 football schools counting Hawaii, which is football only). However, they would first try and get into the new Big East, but only have a 5% chance of getting in, if that.

One clarification: the MWC is fine being at 9 all sport members and 10 football members. It would be if they were at 11 all sport members and 12 football members that they would want a Wichita State. WSU still needs a bit of expansion from the MWC.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby GoShockers89 » December 15th, 2012, 7:47 pm

Last edited by GoShockers89 on August 11th, 2013, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoShockers89
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 15th, 2012, 8:06 pm

I must have missed Creighton's statement that they were leaving...
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball