Exhibition game results - DePauw 66 Evansville 62

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Exhibition Games (10/30/2010)

Postby WSUbballer » November 2nd, 2010, 7:17 pm

jayball wrote:
WSUbballer wrote: If the argument out there is "there's always gonna be a bottom dweller" and if Evansville fans are content with being that perennial bottom feeder, then so be it.

Baller,

I understand the desire to strengthen the MVC. I just question if we will really get the giant bump forward in exposure, prestige, RPI, ect... if we trade Eville for SLU, Butler, or WKU type schools.

The MVC would likely be a bit better, but nationally no one would really care.

There are more successful teams that we could seek out. SLU for Eville might be a good trade, but it isn't going to launch us automatically into guaranteed multibid territory.

As for defending Eville, I just remember watching Marcus Wilson, Craig Snow, Clint Cuffle, ect and enjoying watching them compete back then Eville had some really tough teams. To me there is value in watching guys like Holslinger, Ely, Wagner...compete. They might not be on the most talented team or attend the most celebrated school in conference but they play just as hard and put in just as much time as the other guys. How many people would just give up in situations like that? CU in the Rick Johnson years, WSU before Turg? I just don't see the need to denigrate everything about UE.

I think there would be some greater natural interest if a team like Butler replaced Evansville. I don't think you could deny that. It wouldn't lock us into multibid territory, but it would most certainly help. That 250+ RPI is a real drag on the conference and adding a Top 10 or 20 type RPI in Butler could mean a move up several rungs on the overall conference ladder.

Every school has had bad runs. A couple schools seem to stick out more than others. And most of the Valley schools have some really good success to cancel out their bad runs.

Evansville competed much better in the MCC. They would compete better and be a better fit in the Horizon. And honestly, their overall athletic program is not good. They've had a few good runs in some sports, but nothing consistent and certainly now they have little to offer IMO.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Exhibition game results - DePauw 66 Evansville 62

Postby WSUbballer » November 2nd, 2010, 7:26 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:Baller,

Resort to further name calling all you want, but that is my whole problem with this thread in the first place.

If people would limit their argument to UE doesn't have the resources to compete in the MVC, I think that is a fair discussion. If the argument were about increasing exposure of the league, I think that is a fair discussion.

I don't see things like calling UE a D2 program, calling their coach "stupid" or calling their entire athletic department "God-awful" as really being all that constructive. It is just petty name calling. Name calling, by the way that was all done by Shocker fans. Because of that, I felt that it is completely relevant to discuss how WSU (since their fanbase was the source of an overwhelming majority of the comments) has fared when pitted against UE. If the school was a mediocre D2 program (or worse), WSU should blow them off the court. That hasn't been the case recently which indicates that UE is not as lowly as some WSU fans would otherwise insinuate.

Furthermore, a loss in an exhibition game is hardly a reason for dismissing a team from the conference. if that was the criterion used, there would be few teams left in the conference. As noted by others, Bradley recently lost an exhibition game to a D3 or D2 opponent. Should they be booted as well?

Lay off the name calling and put together cogent arguments, backed up by facts instead of opinions, and a reasonable discussion could ensue. As to your personal comments toward me, let me just respond by saying that it doesn't appear that any UE fans complained to the mods because someone picked on their school. Too bad you can't say the same thing, especially when you are perhaps the biggest instigator here.

This post bothers me in a lot of ways.

First of all, I didn't "namecall" anybody or anyone. Where did I "namecall"? Calling UE's athletic program "God-awful" is the cold, honest truth. How else should I describe it? It certainly wasn't "namecalling" no matter how badly you want it to be.

This exhibition game is just the tip of the iceberg. UE has lost quite a few exhibition games in the last few years if I recall to inferior competition. That's not even the point. They just haven't done a lot to help the conference. Bradley, on the other hand, has done quite a bit, and that starts right away with fan support.

What opinions are being used? Most of what has been said has been fact in the "arguments". And since this is a discussion board, opinions are expected.

Your last sentence tops everything. You are BY FAR one of the biggest instigators here. I dunno why you would make that remark considering your history. And you can't deny it either. It's statements like those that confirm my remarks about you being a hypocrite. Please look in the mirror before you go preaching to the choir.
Last edited by WSUbballer on November 2nd, 2010, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Little Eddie » November 2nd, 2010, 7:28 pm

People are still posting in this thread? Lordy...time to move on guys. We get it...E-ville can't be losing to Div III teams. We get that some would like E-ville to change leagues. Obviously that ain't happening this season so how about we move on to bigger and better things? Just saying...there's only so much arguing you can do about the subject.
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby WSUbballer » November 2nd, 2010, 7:30 pm

SirShoxAlot wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:Baller,

Resort to further name calling all you want, but that is my whole problem with this thread in the first place.

If people would limit their argument to UE doesn't have the resources to compete in the MVC, I think that is a fair discussion. If the argument were about increasing exposure of the league, I think that is a fair discussion.

I don't see things like calling UE a D2 program, calling their coach "stupid" or calling their entire athletic department "God-awful" as really being all that constructive. It is just petty name calling. Name calling, by the way that was all done by Shocker fans. Because of that, I felt that it is completely relevant to discuss how WSU (since their fanbase was the source of an overwhelming majority of the comments) has fared when pitted against UE. If the school was a mediocre D2 program (or worse), WSU should blow them off the court. That hasn't been the case recently which indicates that UE is not as lowly as some WSU fans would otherwise insinuate.

Furthermore, a loss in an exhibition game is hardly a reason for dismissing a team from the conference. if that was the criterion used, there would be few teams left in the conference. As noted by others, Bradley recently lost an exhibition game to a D3 or D2 opponent. Should they be booted as well?

Lay off the name calling and put together cogent arguments, backed up by facts instead of opinions, and a reasonable discussion could ensue. As to your personal comments toward me, let me just respond by saying that it doesn't appear that any UE fans complained to the mods because someone picked on their school. Too bad you can't say the same thing, especially when you are perhaps the biggest instigator here.

The man makes a good point. I suppose we should have sent Syracuse to DIII after their exhibition loss last year? No, they followed up with a Sweet 16 and 1 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Let's tone it down a bit...

Syracuse has done quite a bit to counteract that embarrassing loss. What has Evansville done again?
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby saluki762 » November 2nd, 2010, 7:42 pm

WSUbballer wrote:And just for a reality check. College soccer is about on par with women's gymnastics. I can't believe you're one of "those" people. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Since a large percentage of great HS baseball players go straight to the pro's it is also a step below the big sports. I will agree it is way above soccer because soccer is gay. :D

That said, it isn't even close to being on the same playing field as the only legitimate college sports which are D-I basketball and FBS football.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUbballer » November 2nd, 2010, 7:50 pm

saluki762 wrote:
WSUbballer wrote:And just for a reality check. College soccer is about on par with women's gymnastics. I can't believe you're one of "those" people. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Since a large percentage of great HS baseball players go straight to the pro's it is also a step below the big sports. I will agree it is way above soccer because soccer is gay. :D

That said, it isn't even close to being on the same playing field as the only legitimate college sports which are D-I basketball and FBS football.

I am in no way comparing college baseball to FBS football or D-I basketball. I don't think I've ever said that. MVJ can attest this to you.

Agreed about the sexuality of soccer. I can't believe that one CU fan actually brought it up and defended it. :oops:
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » November 2nd, 2010, 8:17 pm

A couple of thoughts as I see this thread devolve.

If you have a comment directed to a single poster, please send him/her a PM. We don't all need to read every back and forth volley in your pissing match. Also, everyone please avoid name calling and keep your comments on topic.

Thank you.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby saluki762 » November 2nd, 2010, 8:56 pm

WSUbballer wrote:
saluki762 wrote:

I am in no way comparing college baseball to FBS football or D-I basketball. I don't think I've ever said that. MVJ can attest this to you.

Agreed about the sexuality of soccer. I can't believe that one CU fan actually brought it up and defended it. :oops:

You can assume from my posts from the old board that most of what I say only has 50% truth and 50% sarcasm to it. Take what I am saying that way. :D
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby dgreenwell3 » November 5th, 2010, 8:30 pm

I would have to say that I think it's a little early to judge the Aces...I know they won't be very good, not saying they will but I don't think they are THIS BAD...Remember UK once lost to Gardner-Webb and Depauw is actually a pretty decent D-3 team as idiotic as it sounds...and Butler Head coach Brad Stevens actually played ball at Depauw...
dgreenwell3
MVC Victory Cigar
MVC Victory Cigar

Postby 45otseoj » November 5th, 2010, 8:48 pm

dgreenwell3 wrote:I would have to say that I think it's a little early to judge the Aces...I know they won't be very good, not saying they will but I don't think they are THIS BAD...Remember UK once lost to Gardner-Webb and Depauw is actually a pretty decent D-3 team as idiotic as it sounds...and Butler Head coach Brad Stevens actually played ball at Depauw...

1. Yes, UK lost to G-W; another D-I team, in a year where UK got into the Dance just because they're UK.

2. Quality is relative. "Pretty decent" D-3 teams should never be beating Missouri Valley teams, no matter how poor they are. And no, I don't want to hear about how big time programs lose games like this. Those coaches don't play their best player for 37 minutes.

3. Was the "Brad Stevens" comment just a fun fact or another way of making your point?
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball