Mid-Major Top 25 - Preseason

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Mid-Major Top 25 - Preseason

Postby MoValley John » November 3rd, 2010, 10:28 pm

I have an opinion on this poll and would love to express it. That said, it might not be a very positive post and may rankle a feather or two. I wish I could say that I hate this poll, but I can't so I won't.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby AndShock » November 4th, 2010, 12:55 am

45otseoj wrote:Creighton and Wichita fans should discuss their problems with this poll with their head coaches.

I don't think Marshall taking away his ballot will mean the MVC drops out of the poll. I put this poll up there with Bracketbusters in terms of majors, mid-majors, and low-majors participation. We can't do anything about either.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ali » November 4th, 2010, 11:36 am

SubGod22 wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:
shockalot wrote:I hope everyone notices that these folks apparently don't consider the Mountain West Conference a "mid-major" and thus see the MVC as a lesser conference in comparison, and C-USA? If the MVC is a lesser basketball conference year-to-year than these we are in trouble. But my point is, we aren't, and this type of mindset toward the MVC has got to be eradicated. Let's prove it, again, starting this year!

Bingo.

That is exactly the problem I have with this list: the MWC, C-USA and the A10 don't participate. Hell, does the stinking WAC even participate? Those conferences are our peers. If they don't want to participate, why should we?

That had crossed my mind as well and another reason I don't like it. I couldn't remember which conferences weren't involved but knew those we look at as our peers weren't. Other than the CAA anyway.

Agreed. We are who we associate ourselves with. Bracketbusters is an other example of this.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TylerDurden » November 4th, 2010, 3:36 pm

Ali wrote:Agreed. We are who we associate ourselves with. Bracketbusters is an other example of this.

The Bracketbusters wasn't an issue in 2006 when the Valley got four bids. It's a good event, if you're good.

The only fans who complain are those with crappy teams, who have played crappy schedules and have crappy RPIs and receive a similar opponent or ASK for a certain opponent that isn't of a similar RPI.

In college basketball, you can control: How good your team is and who you play (I know it's hard to schedule, but it's hard for everyone)

Until someone in this league puts together a schedule that won't get laughed at during selection time and is consistently among the top 35 or so programs (meaning you're in the at-large talk every year) then no one can complain about Bracketbusters...it might be your only chance to get a good game...or being involved in mid-major polls.

I get that some fan bases want to act like they're among the big boys, but the results don't show the same.

The Valley has teams capable of competing at a very high level...it just hasn't been the same teams recently. There hasn't been that really consistent team, although you could argue for SIU in the early 00s.

One bid seasons don't scream that we're a big boy.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby AndShock » November 4th, 2010, 4:25 pm

TylerDurden wrote:
Ali wrote:Agreed. We are who we associate ourselves with. Bracketbusters is an other example of this.

The Bracketbusters wasn't an issue in 2006 when the Valley got four bids. It's a good event, if you're good.

The only fans who complain are those with crappy teams, who have played crappy schedules and have crappy RPIs and receive a similar opponent or ASK for a certain opponent that isn't of a similar RPI.

In college basketball, you can control: How good your team is and who you play (I know it's hard to schedule, but it's hard for everyone)

Until someone in this league puts together a schedule that won't get laughed at during selection time and is consistently among the top 35 or so programs (meaning you're in the at-large talk every year) then no one can complain about Bracketbusters...it might be your only chance to get a good game...or being involved in mid-major polls.

I get that some fan bases want to act like they're among the big boys, but the results don't show the same.

The Valley has teams capable of competing at a very high level...it just hasn't been the same teams recently. There hasn't been that really consistent team, although you could argue for SIU in the early 00s.

One bid seasons don't scream that we're a big boy.

I don't like the Bracketbusters and I don't think we've had crappy teams or crappy opponents. In fact, we've had great opponents. I'd just rather us schedule those teams separately and avoid being lumped in with Ohio Valley and Metro Atlantic teams.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby gtmoBlue » November 7th, 2010, 5:12 am

As stated by:

Postby 45otseoj » November 3rd, 2010, 1:52 pm
"Mid-Major" is based on resources; not accomplishments.
ILSU FAN

45otseoj
MVC starter

The issue is one of resources of a given conference, not accomplishments...see the Midmajority - The Red Line.

http://www.midmajority.com/redline

Based on the latest "Redline", the MWC is a Major and the rest of us are still Midmajor...including the WAC, CUSA, and the A-10.
When in doubt...Be Bold!
gtmoBlue
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball