Mid-Major Top 25 - Preseason

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MVCfans » November 3rd, 2010, 12:35 pm

Personally, I don't like having a separate Top 25 for mid-major schools as if MVC teams are playing a different game all together. But, it is what it is.

http://www.collegeinsider.com/mmpoll/

UPDATED: Nov. 1, 2010

Record / Points / Previous

1. Butler (16) 0-0 752 1
2. Gonzaga (15) 0-0 723 7
3. Wichita State 0-0 651 13
4. Old Dominion 0-0 636 5
5. Murray State 0-0 527 6
6. Wofford 0-0 477 10
7. Northern Iowa 0-0 418 2
8. Oakland 0-0 396 9
9. Missouri State 0-0 390 24
10. Fairfield 0-0 360 NR
11. St. Mary's 0-0 333 3
12. UC Santa Barbara 0-0 300 25
13. Ohio 0-0 298 NR
14. VCU 0-0 294 21
15. North Texas 0-0 273 17
16. George Mason 0-0 266 NR
17. Western Kentucky 0-0 236 NR
18. Creighton 0-0 212 NR
19. Weber State 0-0 209 16
20. Siena 0-0 190 8
21. Loyola Marymount 0-0 189 NR
22. Coastal Carolina 0-0 170 14
23. Detroit 0-0 153 NR
24. Appalachian State 0-0 145 23
25. Cleveland State 0-0 127 NR

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES: Long Beach State 106, Iona 104, Akron 61, Pacific 57, Princeton 55, Sam Houston State 53, Kent State 51, Morgan State 50, Stephen F. Austin 49, College of Charleston 48, Belmont 47, Morehead State 47, Ball State 42, East Tennessee State 40, Portland 35, Montana 33, Stony Brook 31, Milwaukee 29, Wright State 28, Quinnipiac 27, Boston University 26, Cornell 26, Illinois State 24, Davidson 23, Central Michigan 22, Harvard 21, Bradley 20, Lipscomb 17, Denver 16, IUPUI 15, Jackson State 13, Northeastern 13, Valparaiso 13, William & Mary 12, Green Bay 12, James Madison 10, Texas-San Antonio 10, South Alabama 9, Lafayette 8, Miami 7, American 6, Middle Tennessee 5, Western Carolina 5, Florida Atlantic 4, Lehigh 4, Eastern Michigan 3, Arkansas-Little Rock 2, Arkansas State 2, Montana State 2, Northern Colorado 2, Robert Morris 2, Cal State Fullerton 1, Holy Cross 1, South Dakota 1.

VOTING PANEL: Jesse Agel (Brown), Randy Bennett (St. Mary's), Milan Brown (Holy Cross), Will Brown (Albany), Rick Byrd (Belmont), Dave Calloway (Monmouth), Kermit Davis (Middle Tennessee), Billy Donlon (Wright State), James Fox (Davidson), Tyler Geving (Portland State), Mike Gillian (Longwood), Steve Hawkins (Western Michigan), Dick Hunsaker (Utah Valley), Greg Kampe (Oakland), Danny Kaspar (Stephen F. Austin), Kerry Keating (Santa Clara), Billy Kennedy (Murray State), Jim Larranaga (George Mason), Mike Lonergan (Vermont), Gregg Marshall (Wichita State), Greg McDermott (Creighton), Tom Moore (Quinnipiac), Gregg Nibert (Presbyterian), Jimmy Patsos (Loyola MD), Buzz Peterson (UNC Wilmington), Vann Pettaway (Alabama A&M), Clifford Reed, Jr. (Bethune Cookman), John Shulman (Chattanooga), Brad Stevens (Butler), Gary Stewart (UC Davis), Ernie Zeigler (Central Michigan)
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Mid-Major Top 25 - Preseason

Postby unipanther99 » November 3rd, 2010, 1:06 pm

Interesting that both Marshall and McDermott are on the voting panel. I'm not really in favor of a separate poll either, but I think it might help the more casual college basketball identify the better non-BCS conference programs in the country. It doesn't mean much, but I don't think it really hurts to have it either.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Ace Dad » November 3rd, 2010, 1:13 pm

At least two of the preseason basketball publications listed the MVC among "Majors."
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm

unipanther99 wrote:Interesting that both Marshall and McDermott are on the voting panel. I'm not really in favor of a separate poll either, but I think it might help the more casual college basketball identify the better non-BCS conference programs in the country. It doesn't mean much, but I don't think it really hurts to have it either.

Is there any way the coaches voting actually know a thing about North Texas or Coastal Carolina (for example)? Other than their own conference teams or the top 5-10 teams overall, I'd guess most of the coaches on the panel don't know enough to even fill in the entire ballot.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby SubGod22 » November 3rd, 2010, 1:30 pm

I've never been a fan of this. I see where it could make some aware of the top non-BcS teams are, but I don't see it as meaning much or look to it for any kind of validity.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SubGod22 » November 3rd, 2010, 1:33 pm

And I'd think coaches in this area would see what a team like North Texas would be doing. I know The Shox have recruited/looked at a number of the kids they sign and probably have an idea of what's going on down there. I doubt they know about all 25 teams but I wouldn't be surprised if they're aware of certain programs and with all the contacts they've made thru the years who knows who they follow from a distance and why.
www.wheatshockers.com

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shockalot » November 3rd, 2010, 1:49 pm

I hope everyone notices that these folks apparently don't consider the Mountain West Conference a "mid-major" and thus see the MVC as a lesser conference in comparison, and C-USA? If the MVC is a lesser basketball conference year-to-year than these we are in trouble. But my point is, we aren't, and this type of mindset toward the MVC has got to be eradicated. Let's prove it, again, starting this year!
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby 45otseoj » November 3rd, 2010, 1:52 pm

"Mid-Major" is based on resources; not accomplishments.
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 3rd, 2010, 1:58 pm

shockalot wrote:I hope everyone notices that these folks apparently don't consider the Mountain West Conference a "mid-major" and thus see the MVC as a lesser conference in comparison, and C-USA? If the MVC is a lesser basketball conference year-to-year than these we are in trouble. But my point is, we aren't, and this type of mindset toward the MVC has got to be eradicated. Let's prove it, again, starting this year!

Bingo.

That is exactly the problem I have with this list: the MWC, C-USA and the A10 don't participate. Hell, does the stinking WAC even participate? Those conferences are our peers. If they don't want to participate, why should we?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » November 3rd, 2010, 2:06 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
shockalot wrote:I hope everyone notices that these folks apparently don't consider the Mountain West Conference a "mid-major" and thus see the MVC as a lesser conference in comparison, and C-USA? If the MVC is a lesser basketball conference year-to-year than these we are in trouble. But my point is, we aren't, and this type of mindset toward the MVC has got to be eradicated. Let's prove it, again, starting this year!

Bingo.

That is exactly the problem I have with this list: the MWC, C-USA and the A10 don't participate. Hell, does the stinking WAC even participate? Those conferences are our peers. If they don't want to participate, why should we?

That had crossed my mind as well and another reason I don't like it. I couldn't remember which conferences weren't involved but knew those we look at as our peers weren't. Other than the CAA anyway.
www.wheatshockers.com

SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball