Any more exhibitions before 11/12/10 games?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Any more exhibitions before 11/12/10 games?

Postby Shockerfan13 » November 5th, 2010, 5:51 pm

MoValley John wrote:
RoyalShock wrote:A scrimmage against Denver is still far better than an exhibition game against a travelling team or D2/D3 team. You can't replace four hours of practice against a D1 opponent with a 40-minute game or another practice against each other.

A scrimmage being a better experience than a D-2 or D-3 team goes without saying. But I don't think Denver is even on the same level as Wichita State and these scrimmages are where you learn strengths and weaknesses. This is where you can expose your team to adversity without exposing yourself to negative press or God forbid, a loss. I just think Wichita State got short changed with this game. Kansas State would have been a good experience for both schools, Denver, not so much.

As for the D-2 exhibitions, if you aren't Evansville, these things mean nothing. Tell me McDermott was preparing the team for the season when he's subbing in walkons in the first six or seven minutes. The D-2 games are just there to whet fan's appetites, raise a bit of revenue and sell popcorn, I would like to see all Valley teams only schedule one exhibition and one scrimmage. I would hope the scrimmage opponent is on par with each Valley school. Wichita State tried, Kansas State screwed 'em, I think you did the best you could with little notice, but I still don't think it's all that great. Then again, come Valley play, what you learned or didn't in the exhibition won't matter, but it could help you in Maui.

I agree with pretty much everything you are saying. K-State did screw WSU. By the time they let WSU know they decided to not go with the scrimmage this year it was too late to get anyone of that quality.

It's still better than playing an even more meaningless D2 or D3 team in an exhibition. However, it's definately not AS ideal to have to scrimmage Denver rather than K-State. Denver is a decent squad and I'm sure coach and players will get more out of it than they would an exhibition so I'm not terribly upset given the situation.
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby valleychamp » November 5th, 2010, 6:09 pm

MoValley John wrote:
valleychamp wrote:UNI played Denver in regular season games for the last two years, and they were a pretty decent team. Winning margin for UNI was single digits each time.

So?

So, its not a bad team. Its a quality scrimmage.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » November 5th, 2010, 6:12 pm

Now if Iowa State, USC and others hadn't effed up the whole system, teams still could play exhibitions against club teams. Athletes in Action and others used to be able to give real competition to teams, provide a learning environment for players and generate revenue, all while part of a fun, exciting environment for the fans. But alas, the big boys had to cheat and buy AAU players through "exhibitions." We all lost on that deal.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » November 5th, 2010, 6:41 pm

valleychamp wrote:
MoValley John wrote:
valleychamp wrote:UNI played Denver in regular season games for the last two years, and they were a pretty decent team. Winning margin for UNI was single digits each time.

So?

So, its not a bad team. Its a quality scrimmage.

No, they are a bad team. Lets cut to the chase, they suck. What is embarrassing is you guys did a home and home with them. It's embarrassing that Creighton did a two for one with Arkansas- Little Rock. It is embarrassing when any Valley team does a home and home with any Sun Belt team. Period. So they have a decent record in a really bad conference, they didn't win the conference. Sorry I'm in a negative rant again, but geeze guys, we're talking the freaking Sun Belt here. Denver finished third in their division at 10-8, behind North Texas and Arkansas State and ahead of Louisiana Lafayette and Louisina Monroe. Good, I think not..........

Back on topic, there is nobody on the Denver roster that could start for Wichita State. There might be a few that could play for Evansville. I can't help it that Denver played you guys close a couple of times, that doesn't mean they are good, it just means you didn't beat them that badly, it was early in the season and blowouts don't just always happen. This would be a good and challenging scrimmage for Evansville.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » November 5th, 2010, 7:58 pm

john, its a GD scrimmage...
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sixth ace » November 5th, 2010, 9:19 pm

UE plays Kentucky Wesleyan College tomorrow night at Roberts stadium. KWC played South Carolina Wednesday night and lost 71-58. Cardell McFarland , who played for Missouri State last year, now plays for KWC.
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby cpacmel » November 6th, 2010, 7:07 pm

Quincy 36
Bradley 34
HALFTIME

Warren and Dunson 9 points each.
Bradley is playing without Taylor Brown and Sam Maniscalco.
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ace Dad » November 6th, 2010, 7:56 pm

MoValley, disagree.

Basketball snobbery, based on "division" or "reputation", cuts both ways.

Nothing wrong with MVC teams doing 1 and 1 with lower profile conferences. We want higher profile conferences to play us. We cannot have it both ways.

I lived in ACC country for 7 years and am now in Big 12 territory. People look down their nose at us. Should we look down our nose at other conferences?
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby cpacmel » November 6th, 2010, 8:24 pm

Quincy 86
Bradley 80
FINAL

Warren 26 points 5 boards

Dunson 18 points 4 boards 4 assists

Lemon 11 points (fouled out)

Egolf 8 points 8 boards (fouled out)

Prosser 7 points 8 boards

Simms Edwards also fouled out, 5 points 3 boards 3 assists
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Little Eddie » November 6th, 2010, 8:35 pm

cpacmel wrote:Quincy 36
Bradley 34
HALFTIME

Warren and Dunson 9 points each.
Bradley is playing without Taylor Brown and Sam Maniscalco.

Were they hurt or what's the deal? I saw that Indy St won their game w/ Div III Wabash by 11...

If fans of the teams could give out a little more info on each of the games it would be appreciated. I wasn't able to follow the ISUblue game today so I can't comment much more than the score.
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball