NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Postby MOST » April 11th, 2017, 4:37 pm

BCPanther wrote: "the problem is auto-bids to NCAA tournaments. You can't just start a new league and get an auto-bid. There is no way the Power 5 is going to give up an at large berth to any tournament in order to give a mid-western mid-major league an auto bid. We're all stuck together."..

Response:
An expanded MVC and a revamped Summit requires no new auto bids--they already have their auto bids. SO, NOT A PROBLEM.

Besides, does not the NCAA control who gets the auto bids--AND RIGHT NOW ALL 32 CONFERENCES GET'S ONE. Don't think that is a P5 conference decision. Doubt very seriously that the NCAA would deny auto bids to a new elite mid-major conference. WHEN DID THE NCAA LAST DENY AN AUTO BID TO A CONFERENCE. If they did deny an auto bid to a new, valid conference I think there would be rioting in the streets and campuses--and possibly a call for a congressional investigation.

TOUCHE!!
Last edited by MOST on April 11th, 2017, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MOST
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » April 11th, 2017, 4:43 pm

MOST wrote:The problem is auto-bids to NCAA tournaments. You can't just start a new league and get an auto-bid. There is no way the Power 5 is going to give up an at large berth to any tournament in order to give a mid-western mid-major league an auto bid. We're all stuck together...

An expanded MVC and a Summit/even if renamed requires no new auto bids--they already have their auto bids. SO, NOT A PROBLEM.

Besides does not the NCAA control who gets the auto bids--AND RIGHT NOW ALL 32 CONFERENCES GET'S ONE. Don't think that is a P5 conference decision. Doubt very seriously that the NCAA would deny autos to a new elite mid-major conference. WHEN DID THE NCAA LAST DENY AN AUTO BID TO A CONFERENCE.

You need to learn the quote function, ASAP
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MOST » April 11th, 2017, 4:47 pm

Would rather just copy and paste :Violin: :Violin: :Violin: :Violin:

TOUCHE TOUCHE (SQUARED)
MOST
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby JBoss8393 » April 12th, 2017, 6:16 am

I've been a fan of the Valley since 1987 when I moved to Normal, married into a Redbird family and became one myself when I got my master's. I also attended USD when it was in the old North Central Conference. I always liked that because it was a pretty close knit group. You had USD, SDSU, UND, NDSU, Morningside, Augustana, UN-Omaha and Northern Colorado. It was an I-29 league with great rivalries.

It's stings that the valley has lost Tulsa, Creighton and Wichita State since I began following it. Evansville was a nice fit, Loyola is questionable decision and needs a little time. But for the next round, I absolutely do not think the Dakota schools are the answer. I've given this some thought and looked at the Midwestern Mid-Major Conferences and think five conferences could be impacted by what the Valley does.

I love the 10 team league but I think that is short sighted with all the moving going. I like the idea of expanding to 12 and adding Valparaiso, Belmont and Murray State. It creates an even 6-6 public to private. Murray State can move its football program to the MVFC and create a 12 team league there as well. You get a new media market in Nashville and travel partners. UMKC would be a nice fit, but there just isn't enough success there to grab it.

The conferences I see being affected besides the Valley are OVC, Horizon, Summit and WAC.

So here's my thoughts: (Bold=Scholarship FCS Schools/Italic= Non Scholarship FCS Schools)

New MVC
Illinois State
Bradley
Indiana State
Evansville
Northern Iowa
Drake
Southern Illinois
Missouri State

Loyola
Valparaiso (from the Horizon)
Murray State (From the OVC)
Belmont (from the OVC)

New OVC:
Morehead State
Jacksonville State
Tennessee State
Tennessee Tech
Eastern Kentucky
Tennessee-Martin
Southeast Missouri
Austin Peay
Eastern Illinois

SIU-Edwardsville

New Horizon
Oakland
Detroit
Green Bay
Milwaukee
Cleveland State
Youngstown State
Wright State
Northern Kentucky
UIC
PU Fort Wayne (from the Summit)
IUPU Indianapolis (from the Summit)

New Summit
NDSU
UND
SDSU
USD

Omaha
UM-Kansas City (from the WAC)
Denver
Utah Valley (from the WAC)
Chicago State (from the WAC)
Western Illinois
Oral Roberts
Texas-Rio Grande Valley (from the WAC)

MVFC
West Div
USD
SDSU
UND
NDSU
Northern Iowa
Missouri State

East Div
Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Murray State
Youngstown State
Indiana State
Western Illinois

I could also see Western Illinois moving to the OVC, being a travel partner for Eastern Illinois, creating a 9-team football league and 11-team basketball league.

The WAC would then need to add at least three schools from what's left over or dissolve. It's been on a long, slow death spiral since the super conference blew up back in the 90s.

With these groupings, you get some pretty compact conferences and bus rather than air travel, outside of the Summit having to fly to Salt Lake, Denver, and San Antonio/Brownsville.

Time will tell.
JBoss8393
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Shocktop42 » April 12th, 2017, 9:31 am

JBoss8393 wrote:I've been a fan of the Valley since 1987 when I moved to Normal, married into a Redbird family and became one myself when I got my master's. I also attended USD when it was in the old North Central Conference. I always liked that because it was a pretty close knit group. You had USD, SDSU, UND, NDSU, Morningside, Augustana, UN-Omaha and Northern Colorado. It was an I-29 league with great rivalries.

It's stings that the valley has lost Tulsa, Creighton and Wichita State since I began following it. Evansville was a nice fit, Loyola is questionable decision and needs a little time. But for the next round, I absolutely do not think the Dakota schools are the answer. I've given this some thought and looked at the Midwestern Mid-Major Conferences and think five conferences could be impacted by what the Valley does.

I love the 10 team league but I think that is short sighted with all the moving going. I like the idea of expanding to 12 and adding Valparaiso, Belmont and Murray State. It creates an even 6-6 public to private. Murray State can move its football program to the MVFC and create a 12 team league there as well. You get a new media market in Nashville and travel partners. UMKC would be a nice fit, but there just isn't enough success there to grab it.

The conferences I see being affected besides the Valley are OVC, Horizon, Summit and WAC.

So here's my thoughts: (Bold=Scholarship FCS Schools/Italic= Non Scholarship FCS Schools)

New MVC
Illinois State
Bradley
Indiana State
Evansville
Northern Iowa
Drake
Southern Illinois
Missouri State

Loyola
Belmont (from the OVC)

New OVC:
Morehead State
Jacksonville State
Tennessee State
Tennessee Tech
Eastern Kentucky
Tennessee-Martin
Southeast Missouri
Austin Peay
Eastern Illinois

SIU-Edwardsville

New Horizon
Oakland
Detroit
Green Bay
Milwaukee
Cleveland State
Youngstown State
Wright State
Northern Kentucky
UIC
PU Fort Wayne (from the Summit)
IUPU Indianapolis (from the Summit)

New Summit
NDSU
UND
SDSU
USD

Omaha
UM-Kansas City (from the WAC)
Denver
Utah Valley (from the WAC)
Chicago State (from the WAC)
Western Illinois
Oral Roberts
Texas-Rio Grande Valley (from the WAC)

MVFC
West Div
USD
SDSU
UND
NDSU
Northern Iowa
Missouri State

East Div
Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Murray State
Youngstown State
Indiana State
Western Illinois

I could also see Western Illinois moving to the OVC, being a travel partner for Eastern Illinois, creating a 9-team football league and 11-team basketball league.

The WAC would then need to add at least three schools from what's left over or dissolve. It's been on a long, slow death spiral since the super conference blew up back in the 90s.

With these groupings, you get some pretty compact conferences and bus rather than air travel, outside of the Summit having to fly to Salt Lake, Denver, and San Antonio/Brownsville.

Time will tell.

Seems to make sense but i'm not sure that those in the MVFC would be interested in Murray State so that they would split into divisions. Seems to me that the west division would be WAY more competitive than the east division.
Shocktop42
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Redhawk » April 12th, 2017, 10:12 am

Shocktop42 wrote:MVFC
West Div
USD
SDSU
UND
NDSU
Northern Iowa
Missouri State

East Div
Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Murray State
Youngstown State
Indiana State
Western Illinois

Seems to make sense but i'm not sure that those in the MVFC would be interested in Murray State so that they would split into divisions. Seems to me that the west division would be WAY more competitive than the east division.

You are correct about the strengths of the divisions top to bottom but Youngstown St just played for the National Championship last season. Illinois St was in the National Championship game in 2014 and tied
NDSU for the MVFC title in 2014 & 2015.

Five of these current & future MVFC teams made the playoffs last year. The split in the new division
format would have been 3 West (ND, NDSU, SDSU) and 2 East (ISUr, YSU)
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MOST » April 12th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Congrats to JBoss8393.

This is really good work. Creates more localized/regional lay downs of middle US mid-major conferences.

With your pleasure I would like to offer a few changes:

New MVC --10 teams
Illinois State
Bradley
Indiana State
Evansville
Southern Illinois
Loyola
Belmont (from the OVC)
Milwaukee

New OVC: 11 Teams
Morehead State
Jacksonville State
Tennessee State
Tennessee Tech
Eastern Kentucky
Tennessee-Martin
Southeast Missouri
Austin Peay
Eastern Illinois
SIU-Edwardsville
Chicago State

New Horizon--10
Oakland
Detroit
Green Bay
Cleveland State
Youngstown State
Wright State
Northern Kentucky
U IC
IPU Fort Wayne
IUPU Indianapolis

New Summit--10
NDSU
U. ND
SDSU
U. SD
Omaha
UM-Kansas City
Northern Iowa
Missouri State
ARk Little Rock
Drake

New WAC- 10 Teams
CSU Bakersfield
Oral Roberts
Texas-Rio Grande Valley
TAMU Corpus Christi
Denver
Utah Valley
Northern Arizona
Southern Utah
Grand Canyon

SOUTHLAND
+++N. Mex. St. Only place I see for N. Mex State unless they can get in the Mountain West.

Did not fool with FB conferences/relationships!

Maintains 5 balanced conferences, 3 conferences east of the Missisippi, 1 conference west of the Mississippi, 1 conference in the west/SW. More localized and regional, reduces travel distances, all but the WAC are school bus conferences.

If there was another D1 west of the Mississippi to replace Drake I would recommend keeping the New Summit public and moving Drake to the New MVC with other private schools

No conference is perfect but think people are thinking more about structure, travel distances and costs. Would be better if CAl State Bakersfield could get in the Big West (is not the Big West a BB only conference---would require all travel with in California borders).
MOST
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » April 12th, 2017, 6:37 pm

MOST wrote:Congrats to JBoss8393.

This is really good work. Creates more localized/regional lay downs of middle US mid-major conferences.

With your pleasure I would like to offer a few changes:

New MVC --10 teams
Illinois State
Bradley
Indiana State
Evansville
Southern Illinois
Loyola
Belmont (from the OVC)
Milwaukee

New OVC: 11 Teams
Morehead State
Jacksonville State
Tennessee State
Tennessee Tech
Eastern Kentucky
Tennessee-Martin
Southeast Missouri
Austin Peay
Eastern Illinois
SIU-Edwardsville
Chicago State

New Horizon--10
Oakland
Detroit
Green Bay
Cleveland State
Youngstown State
Wright State
Northern Kentucky
U IC
IPU Fort Wayne
IUPU Indianapolis

New Summit--10
NDSU
U. ND
SDSU
U. SD
Omaha
UM-Kansas City
Northern Iowa
Missouri State
ARk Little Rock
Drake

New WAC- 10 Teams
CSU Bakersfield
Oral Roberts
Texas-Rio Grande Valley
TAMU Corpus Christi
Denver
Utah Valley
Northern Arizona
Southern Utah
Grand Canyon

SOUTHLAND
+++N. Mex. St. Only place I see for N. Mex State unless they can get in the Mountain West.

Did not fool with FB conferences/relationships!

Maintains 5 balanced conferences, 3 conferences east of the Missisippi, 1 conference west of the Mississippi, 1 conference in the west/SW. More localized and regional, reduces travel distances, all but the WAC are school bus conferences.

If there was another D1 west of the Mississippi to replace Drake I would recommend keeping the New Summit public and moving Drake to the New MVC with other private schools

No conference is perfect but think people are thinking more about structure, travel distances and costs. Would be better if CAl State Bakersfield could get in the Big West (is not the Big West a BB only conference---would require all travel with in California borders).

That's literally the worst thing I've ever seen. WTF would UNI and MSU want to do that? I mean it's basically the old North Central Conference that UNI couldn't get out of fast enough 40 years ago. And you're randomly taking teams from conferences that have nothing to do with this realignment.

Stop. Just stop.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MOST » April 12th, 2017, 7:04 pm

:Violin: :Violin: :Violin: :Violin:
MOST
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby jwa123 » April 12th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Play your violins all you want but BCPanther is correct - ain't gonna happen.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball