NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Postby Lakesbison » April 26th, 2017, 10:42 pm

NDSU is already in the Big 12..... Wrestling :)
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mikovio » April 27th, 2017, 7:24 am

PantherU wrote:The Mountain West would be huge. The MAC would be incredibly idiotic. Why would NDSU leave a conference, built for them, to be a part of a conference where your closest game is 9 hours away? Why would they leave the MVFC, where they're competing for national titles, to join the MAC, the conference of empty seats and endless trips to the NobodyCares.com Bowl? If NDSU is seriously considering the MAC, then the powers that be seriously need their heads examined.

NIU made the Orange Bowl and WMU made the Cotton Bowl in the last 5 years. NIU would have made the Fiesta Bowl too in 2014 if they didn't get upset the last game. Same for Ball State in '08. But yeah, who would take that over Frisco Texas?!
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » April 27th, 2017, 7:34 am

Lakesbison wrote:that NDSU has elevated the MVFC to national exposure...

Okay. National exposure for the MVFC huh? I haven't really heard a ton of discussion about the Spring football in the MVFC on national networks this year. Have I been missing it?

Couple of Gameday's in Fargo was nice, but don't mistake that for actual MVFC national exposure. Also we will now have to see if you stay in the spotlight without the championship streak, and with ESPN basically getting rid of everyone that had anything to do with college sports.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Lakesbison » April 27th, 2017, 1:29 pm

#2 overall pick in the NFL draft last year was pretty helpful.

beating #13 IOWA on ESPN was pretty helpful.

cmon man.. NDSU has elevated the MVFC to heights never imagined just 8 years ago.

You'd think the conference would actually reward them with a MVC invite.... #ButPrivateSchools #ButTravel #ButCompetition
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » April 27th, 2017, 2:01 pm

Lakesbison wrote:#2 overall pick in the NFL draft last year was pretty helpful.

beating #13 IOWA on ESPN was pretty helpful.

cmon man.. NDSU has elevated the MVFC to heights never imagined just 8 years ago.

You'd think the conference would actually reward them with a MVC invite.... #ButPrivateSchools #ButTravel #ButCompetition

And yet no one is talking about the MVFC right now. Strange. Face it the MVFC is not elevated anywhere except in the FCS circles. Nationally no one still cares. I could ask a majority of people here in Lincoln who was in the conference and I bet they couldn't name a damn team. I get that you think FCS football should carry some weight, but fact of the matter is it doesn't. And it really doesn't in discussions for teams to add to a conference that does sponsor football. In a vacuum I think a lot of people would be in favor of NDSU because they do have some potential. Realistically it just won't happen.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 27th, 2017, 2:58 pm

I'd be comfortable with adding ndsu but if they're okay going out of their travel zone the simple fact remains they could add better.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 27th, 2017, 3:09 pm

That #13 Iowa team finished the year like 7-5 and lost it's 5th straight bowl game.

They were garbage.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » April 27th, 2017, 3:28 pm

Guys I think we all remember exactly where we were the day the NDSU football team spoiled the season of the mighty Iowa Hawkeyes. It was a shocking result, at least until Iowa lost to 1-3 Northwestern at Kinnick two weeks later.

And think of all the wonders that did for Bradley basketball, Drake basketball, SIU basketball, Indiana State football, etc. Truly the Missouri Valley Conference owes NDSU a debt it can never repay. All we can do is deliver a basketball invitation to Fargo on a silver platter along with our firstborns and hope their underpaid coach doesn't run up the score on us.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby unipanther99 » April 27th, 2017, 3:36 pm

Lakesbison wrote:beating #13 IOWA on ESPN was pretty helpful.

Beth Mowins' call on ESPN 2 will surely go down in history along with "down goes Frazier" and "Can you believe in miracles?"
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Fargobison » April 27th, 2017, 4:13 pm

Maybe one day lakes can grasp that NDSU football means little to the MVC. It isn't remotely a football focused league like say the Big Sky or SLC. Also this is FCS football we are talking about, it isn't like NDSU football is bringing in a media deal or anything like that.

NDSU's football success/exposure has mostly benefited NDSU. I do think NDSU has a lot of similarities to MVC schools, it is a school with a supportive fanbase in a small to mid-sized Midwestern city. History of success and willingness to spend money to compete. Problem is like with every league, geography makes it difficult.
Fargobison
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball