NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Postby mvfcfan » April 7th, 2017, 10:37 am

I'm not really that high on Valpo, but they sure beat adding an extension campus. And they would've been a better add than Loyola. I'd much rather see the XDSU's than Valpo.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby goramblers2011 » April 7th, 2017, 10:45 am

mvfcfan wrote:I'm just saying Loyola was a bad addition. I know you're a Loyola fan and you won't accept that, but most of the fan bases across the Valley were not particularly happy about Loyola joining the conference. Loyola couldn't even win in the Horizon League. However Loyola is in the conference and I do cheer for Loyola and I hope they do get better in the future.

Almost everyone knows who Valpo (because of basketball) and NDSU (because of football) are. Not very many people know who Loyola of Chicago is. No offense, but I imagine there are a lot of people in Chicago that don't know who Loyola is.

Loyola has better facilities than Valpo, is a better academic institution, a better overall athletic program, a larger endowment, a larger alumni base, etc. etc. As Redhawk pointed out, bringing in a new program to a conference is like recruiting--you are betting a lot on 'potential'. I think Loyola is panning out. It is entering its 4th season in the Valley and is already a contender to win the conference (WSU leaving has a lot to do with that...). To say that there are a lot of people in Chicago that don't know who Loyola is...well, that's idiotic. Loyola has a large campus in the city and a very large, successful alumni base in Chicago.

There may have been some better choices out there from a purely basketball perspective--but Loyola was not the terrible, apocalyptic choice they are being made out to be. Do you really think that if the MVC added Valpo instead of LU, WSU would say "no" to the AAC? Ha.
goramblers2011
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redhawk » April 7th, 2017, 10:45 am

mvfcfan wrote:I'm not really that high on Valpo, but they sure beat adding an extension campus. And they would've been a better add than Loyola. I'd much rather see the XDSU's than Valpo.

I don't think Valpo would have been a better add than Loyola. After a lot of research and discussion
neither did the Valley presidents. They have survived the transition and are now recruiting at a higher level than all others except ISUr & MSU so they should continue to improve.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Lakesbison » April 7th, 2017, 11:10 am

TONS of MVC talk on BISON 1660 am radio from 11am-1pm right now.
NDSU admin & play by play people really pushing for it.

Nebraska Husker play by play guys just said on there that NDSU should most definitely be invited.
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Lakesbison » April 7th, 2017, 11:13 am

uniftw wrote:
Lakesbison wrote:Image

Second smallest in the conferece - third smallest average attendance. Smallest basketball budget by a half million dollars. The one a head of NDSU is 400-500k under funded compared to the next group.

and here's the rivalry, this UNI fan doesn't want NDSU in MVC, because once NDSU was allowed into the MVFC UNI became an after thought. Don't worry UNI, you can still be a basketball school even if NDSU comes into the MVC.

NDSU average attendance will hit 5000-5500 easily. Basketball budget would be boosted up a Million if the MVC offer is given. Head Coach isn't making $300K+.. but he's only in year 2 of being a 1st time head coach.
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » April 7th, 2017, 11:27 am

Lakesbison wrote:
uniftw wrote:
Lakesbison wrote:Image

Second smallest in the conferece - third smallest average attendance. Smallest basketball budget by a half million dollars. The one a head of NDSU is 400-500k under funded compared to the next group.

and here's the rivalry, this UNI fan doesn't want NDSU in MVC, because once NDSU was allowed into the MVFC UNI became an after thought. Don't worry UNI, you can still be a basketball school even if NDSU comes into the MVC.

NDSU average attendance will hit 5000-5500 easily. Basketball budget would be boosted up a Million if the MVC offer is given. Head Coach isn't making $300K+.. but he's only in year 2 of being a 1st time head coach.

If NDSU doesn't draw 5,000 for UND, SDSU and USD you aren't drawing 5,000 for Evansville, Drake, Indiana State, Bradley, etc...
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » April 7th, 2017, 12:20 pm

Isn't the state of North Dakota going through its own financial crisis (a la Illinois) due to the the significant drop in the price of oil?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 7th, 2017, 12:53 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:Isn't the state of North Dakota going through its own financial crisis (a la Illinois) due to the the significant drop in the price of oil?

Yup.

UND has been forced to cut 4 sports and something like 3 million from their budget.
NDSU has had to cut about a million - for now.
The State Board of Higher Ed in North Dakota requested 160M for the universities in ND. The state legislature cut that by more than 20 million instantly. It may have been cut even more since that story came out.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Lakesbison » April 7th, 2017, 2:31 pm

NDSU only had to cut $400k due to allocations.

und cut $3 million and lost like $13.3 million last year alone.

NDSU is in very good shape financially on the athletic side of things, and the OIL boom is going to come back here in a year or 2 no worries mate.

just go on twitter, type NDSU. tons of chatter about going to the MVC, I think it'd be a no brainer for MVC to add NDSU.
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » April 7th, 2017, 2:35 pm

Lakesbison wrote:
just go on twitter, type NDSU. tons of chatter about going to the MVC, I think it'd be a no brainer for MVC to add NDSU.

No there isn't
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball