NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Postby Lakesbison » April 28th, 2017, 8:01 pm

Todd Golden Indiana St beat writer picks NDSU.

" I think Valparaiso and Murray State are fine. Not great, there’s no home run addition, but they work fine given league politics.
The 12th school is a much tougher proposition. My vote is for North Dakota State"
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » April 28th, 2017, 8:46 pm

Lakesbison wrote:Todd Golden Indiana St beat writer picks NDSU.

" I think Valparaiso and Murray State are fine. Not great, there’s no home run addition, but they work fine given league politics.
The 12th school is a much tougher proposition. My vote is for North Dakota State"

I agree 100% NDSU should be #12. But I came to the realization a long time ago it's not happening.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Herd » April 28th, 2017, 10:25 pm

Mikovio wrote:Guys I think we all remember exactly where we were the day the NDSU football team spoiled the season of the mighty Iowa Hawkeyes. It was a shocking result, at least until Iowa lost to 1-3 Northwestern at Kinnick two weeks later.

And think of all the wonders that did for Bradley basketball, Drake basketball, SIU basketball, Indiana State football, etc. Truly the Missouri Valley Conference owes NDSU a debt it can never repay. All we can do is deliver a basketball invitation to Fargo on a silver platter along with our firstborns and hope their underpaid coach doesn't run up the score on us.

Is there any hope for Bradley and Drake basketball? That's a good question. Not much. But obviously having success in football in the mvfc creates plenty of Butt Hurt by MVC members. NDSU basketball could never compete at the level of Basketball Bradley and Drake, with their great commitment. Give me a break.
Herd
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Herd » April 28th, 2017, 10:30 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
Lakesbison wrote:#2 overall pick in the NFL draft last year was pretty helpful.

beating #13 IOWA on ESPN was pretty helpful.

cmon man.. NDSU has elevated the MVFC to heights never imagined just 8 years ago.

You'd think the conference would actually reward them with a MVC invite.... #ButPrivateSchools #ButTravel #ButCompetition

And yet no one is talking about the MVFC right now. Strange. Face it the MVFC is not elevated anywhere except in the FCS circles. Nationally no one still cares. I could ask a majority of people here in Lincoln who was in the conference and I bet they couldn't name a damn team. I get that you think FCS football should carry some weight, but fact of the matter is it doesn't. And it really doesn't in discussions for teams to add to a conference that does sponsor football. In a vacuum I think a lot of people would be in favor of NDSU because they do have some potential. Realistically it just won't happen.

Your right, the MVFC is not significant nationally. It's to college football, what the MVC is to college basketball. With Witchita gone, same level.
Herd
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby IWokeUpLikeThis » April 28th, 2017, 10:41 pm

Herd wrote:
Mikovio wrote:Guys I think we all remember exactly where we were the day the NDSU football team spoiled the season of the mighty Iowa Hawkeyes. It was a shocking result, at least until Iowa lost to 1-3 Northwestern at Kinnick two weeks later.

And think of all the wonders that did for Bradley basketball, Drake basketball, SIU basketball, Indiana State football, etc. Truly the Missouri Valley Conference owes NDSU a debt it can never repay. All we can do is deliver a basketball invitation to Fargo on a silver platter along with our firstborns and hope their underpaid coach doesn't run up the score on us.

Is there any hope for Bradley and Drake basketball? That's a good question. Not much. But obviously having success in football in the mvfc creates plenty of Butt Hurt by MVC members. NDSU basketball could never compete at the level of Basketball Bradley and Drake, with their great commitment. Give me a break.

No hope at Bradley? Are you new to college hoops? They spend more than the entire MVC, have a coach who rebuilt GB into a top horizon program, and had one of the youngest teams in the country. They will be good in short order.

People care about NDSU. But they don't care about FCS or MVFC. They only watch it for NDSU. Same dynamic with UConn and Women's hoops.

To say with a straight face the MVFC is to football what MVC is to hoops is laughable.
IWokeUpLikeThis
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Mikovio » April 29th, 2017, 8:58 am

Herd wrote:NDSU basketball could never compete at the level of Basketball Bradley and Drake, with their great commitment. Give me a break.

Never say never but they have some work to do.

If you're going to talk s*** about Bradley, you might want to familiarize yourself with the subject matter. Start here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_B ... basketball

And compare budgets here:

http://www.sycamorepride.com/showthread ... -in-at-208

I think NDSU might be a good basketball add down the road, but not now. When they lost Saul Philips (to Ohio U of the MAC), they hired his assistant (with no experience other than being an NDSU assistant) for $190k, and after a good first season he's been going downhill in wins. Both their coach salary and budget would be distant lasts in the MVC. If their football team's success is helping their basketball product it sure isn't showing, at least yet.

This is a Fargo article from when Saul Philips left for Ohio U. It's titled "Easy choice for Saul to leave NDSU; who will be next Bison coach?"

http://kfgo.com/blogs/so-many-opinions- ... son-coach/
Ohio is a notch (or two) higher on the college basketball ladder than NDSU and Saul will go frommaking a base salary of $175,000 per year to $550,000 per year, according to ESPN's Andy Katz.

It's a no-brainer.

Now, since you want to talk about Bradley, Bradley hired then-MAC coach of the year Geno Ford from Kent State, who was coming off two MAC regular season titles.

So to recap, the pecking order seems something like this:

Bradley
Ohio/Kent State
(notch or two)
NDSU

So tell me: why the f*** would we want to add a program that's a notch or two behind Ohio?
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » April 29th, 2017, 10:03 am

Lakesbison wrote:MVC wants to be a small bus league.. especially the private schools.

I call b.s. on this one. Drake (a private school) plays football in a league with teams in New York, North Carolina, Florida and California. They ship an entire football team across the country 2-3 times a year. I don't think sending a (much smaller in number) basketball team an extra couple hundred miles would bother them.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby IllinoisState » April 29th, 2017, 11:59 am

DUBulldog wrote:
Lakesbison wrote:MVC wants to be a small bus league.. especially the private schools.

I call b.s. on this one. Drake (a private school) plays football in a league with teams in New York, North Carolina, Florida and California. They ship an entire football team across the country 2-3 times a year. I don't think sending a (much smaller in number) basketball team an extra couple hundred miles would bother them.

But it's not just the basketball team, it's almost every if not every other sport they would have to pay for. Drakes football costs are minimal so I think they are okay with the few times they have to do this.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Lakesbison » April 29th, 2017, 9:42 pm

Time for MVFC to break off into a FBS league and lets the MVC private schools goto OVC or Horizon.
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby TheAsianSensation » April 29th, 2017, 9:46 pm

Lakesbison wrote:Time for MVFC to break off into a FBS league and lets the MVC private schools goto OVC or Horizon.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball