NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Postby Lakesbison » February 7th, 2013, 8:31 pm

[quote="shoxrox"]The MVC and MVFC are two different entities. They aren't technically related to each other at all. Football has no bearing in a basketball-first conference, especially FCS football.

what if the MVC would go FBS in football with those 6-7 schools? wouldnt that be pretty cool, the MVC needs to showcase nationally more.
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » February 7th, 2013, 8:34 pm

Lakesbison wrote:
shoxrox wrote:The MVC and MVFC are two different entities. They aren't technically related to each other at all. Football has no bearing in a basketball-first conference, especially FCS football.

what if the MVC would go FBS in football with those 6-7 schools? wouldnt that be pretty cool, the MVC needs to showcase nationally more.

Not going to happen...If the schools go FBS together it's to the WAC and not an MVC, which won't happen.

With that, I'll warn the rest of this board to stop with lakesbison. He is a lot like a combination of cold, wsuballer, DJA, and the old MVJ all wrapped into one, except times 2
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isumvc1 » February 7th, 2013, 8:45 pm

shoxrox wrote:The MVC and MVFC are two different entities. They aren't technically related to each other at all. Football has no bearing in a basketball-first conference, especially FCS football.

The Dakota schools offer too little from virtually every angle to be rationally considered for expansion if it ever went to that. There will be at least 6 Valley schools that would oppose their additions. That won't get it done. Sorry.

^^ THIS ^^ as I mentioned before, adding dakota territorial schools increases travel costs exponentially for ALL MVC schools, especially for all the olympic sports, I would venture to say that 8 schools would oppose these additions
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » February 7th, 2013, 9:03 pm

I figured that the XDSUs, if push came to shove, would be forced to play the "take us for everything or we leave the MVCF" card. Assuming the Summit crumbles, they're likely going to be in a position where they have find a new conference for non-football (presumably Big Sky, but who knows. they're pretty crammed). And I could easily see the Big Sky ask for all-or-nothing in membership.

In that scenario, I think the MVC would tell the Dakotas to move along. The benefits they provide in football do not make up for the problems in other sports, IMO. This league will sacrifice the football product for basketball gain.

That's kind of the problem with NDSU in particular. From my impressions, they're a football school looking for membership in a conference where all 10 schools are basketball schools first, even if 5 of them have football. That's a bit of a cultural fit problem without an easy solution. NDSU does appear to be spending more on basketball though. But money doesn't always mean results. We'll see.

As I've written before, the Valley is in a very high-stakes game right now. They need to hold on to the lead draft in college basketball behind the power 6, C7, A-10, and MWC. We're starting to see a clear delineation between those conferences + us + WCC, and everyone else clearly behind. We have to hold onto their lead draft and not become the leaders of the second wave of conferences. Frankly, in a vacuum, NDSU as an addition would bring us closer to the second wave. SDSU might, might, might help, but are probably neutral at best.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby musiccitybulldog » February 7th, 2013, 9:43 pm

Those of you that know a lot more than I do about conference memberships and conference "happiness" than I, I have a question.

Is there or could there be some team from a non-football playing school that we are not aware of that would want to transfer or join the MVC? Such as a surprise but "GOOD" addition. From other than a conference that is falling apart.
Say the school may want to join to boost the NCAA tourney participation?
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Lakesbison » February 7th, 2013, 9:43 pm

Mr asian

Youre wrong on a few points, big fluffy is a d2 joke. NDSU "Olympic" sports are on par with any mvc school. Check out the way ndsu has breezed through thier first years of D1 multiple ncaa tourney bids.

NDSU matches the mvc patty viverito needs to step up to the plate
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby pafan » February 7th, 2013, 10:55 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:Is there or could there be some team from a non-football playing school that we are not aware of that would want to transfer or join the MVC? Such as a surprise but "GOOD" addition. From other than a conference that is falling apart.

There are only 98 non-football D1 schools to choose from. For geographic reasons, pick someone in the Horizon League or the Summit League and see if they play football.

Couple of others that aren't terrible geographically: Belmont (OVC). Arkansas Little Rock (Sun Belt). Oral Roberts (Southland)
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby TheAsianSensation » February 7th, 2013, 11:04 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:Those of you that know a lot more than I do about conference memberships and conference "happiness" than I, I have a question.

Is there or could there be some team from a non-football playing school that we are not aware of that would want to transfer or join the MVC? Such as a surprise but "GOOD" addition. From other than a conference that is falling apart.
Say the school may want to join to boost the NCAA tourney participation?

If things break right in the A-10/C7 hostile takeover, Dayton could fall into our lap. I'm thinking a C-14 with St Louis, Detroit, Butler, Xavier, and other A-10 schools, but not Dayton, and all of a sudden they become a bit of an outlier in the A-10.

Other than that, not really. All the other surprise scenarios were actually kind of predicated on the Big East split that happened, only with Marquette/DePaul becoming separated from the other 5.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby TheAsianSensation » February 7th, 2013, 11:20 pm

Lakesbison wrote:Mr asian

Youre wrong on a few points, big fluffy is a d2 joke. NDSU "Olympic" sports are on par with any mvc school. Check out the way ndsu has breezed through thier first years of D1 multiple ncaa tourney bids.

Notice I actually didn't address the Olympic sports. Just football and basketball. I think NDSU would probably compete in all other sports.

Big Fluffy is a bottomfeeder, I can agree with that. NDSU may get put into a position where that's their only choice (not at NDSU's fault), which is unfortunate.

I do actually think NDSU does bring some strengths to the table, so I'm not against it as much as others. But there's a lot of risk, and it feels like the MVC would be taking a big risk. NDSU would have to keep up the winning. There's a big difference between the Summit and the MVC. Same thing I've tried to tell everyone who keeps thinking Murray State and/or Belmont is a good idea.
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Shocktop42 » February 8th, 2013, 8:10 am

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Lakesbison wrote:Mr asian

Notice I actually didn't address the Olympic sports. Just football and basketball. I think NDSU would probably compete in all other sports.

Big Fluffy is a bottomfeeder, I can agree with that. NDSU may get put into a position where that's their only choice (not at NDSU's fault), which is unfortunate.

I do actually think NDSU does bring some strengths to the table, so I'm not against it as much as others. But there's a lot of risk, and it feels like the MVC would be taking a big risk. NDSU would have to keep up the winning. There's a big difference between the Summit and the MVC. Same thing I've tried to tell everyone who keeps thinking Murray State and/or Belmont is a good idea.

^^This^^
I think that the big question is this: If CU leaves, is our conference anything more than a 1 bid league? I say no. The only way to try to get back to the 2-bid status is by adding something that makes the league better. Are xDSU the answer? I don't know. Certainly there is risk with those schools but I stand by my statement that most years (without CU) we are 1 bid league. So does their addition (or any others for that matter) make our league a 2 bid league. If this is true, shouldn't we be looking for schools that are established and have a history in the tournament OR we should look for schools that have potential to be competitive (now or in the near future). Since the realistic options for schools that are on par with the top of our league are not around we might only have one choice. Invite schools who have upside.
Shocktop42
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball