NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Postby Lakesbison » February 8th, 2013, 8:42 am

Fargo has Fargo and that's it. They are further from the Twin Cities than Cedar Falls

You havent been here lately with oil boom Fargo and area has largest population increase in nation!
Plus the Lakes area of Detroit Lakes is 30-40 miles away with another 75, 000-100, 000 people.

The MVC should be open to NDSU especially if Creighton leaves
15, 000 students.
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jwa123 » February 8th, 2013, 9:05 am

Lake Bison, go back to the MAC and MWC forums.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aces0976 » February 8th, 2013, 9:38 am

I say we take SDSU and don't take NDSU based soley on two criteria: (1) Jackrabbits is a much cooler nickname than bison. (2) I have a feeling it would really piss off this Lakesbison guy, and I just think it would be funny.
Aces0976
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Mikovio » February 8th, 2013, 9:57 am

The minute any ____ Dakota ____ gets approved, the basketball schools needs to find a way out ASAP. Given the choice to spend a dollar on addressing a need in basketball or their lower division football program (or in UND's case, hockey), they're almost sure to spend it on football (or hockey). Look to the MAC, where the athletic departments are all spending tens of millions on football stadiums, facilities and coaches, while their perpetual one-bid basketball league founders, and two-time MAC coach of the year at Kent State Geno Ford is poached by a last place MVC team. The MVC has prospered relative to its peers because it's always been a league of basketball-first schools, and that's where it shepards its resources. Priority matters.

Now, Murray State, Loyola or Valpo (or SLU if they get left out) would all be suitable replacements.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » February 8th, 2013, 10:25 am

Mikovio wrote:The minute any ____ Dakota ____ gets approved, the basketball schools needs to find a way out ASAP. Given the choice to spend a dollar on addressing a need in basketball or their lower division football program (or in UND's case, hockey), they're almost sure to spend it on football (or hockey). Look to the MAC, where the athletic departments are all spending tens of millions on football stadiums, facilities and coaches, while their perpetual one-bid basketball league founders, and two-time MAC coach of the year at Kent State Geno Ford is poached by a last place MVC team. The MVC has prospered relative to its peers because it's always been a league of basketball-first schools, and that's where it shepards its resources. Priority matters.

Now, Murray State, Loyola or Valpo (or SLU if they get left out) would all be suitable replacements.

Murray State has football, too. Valpo plays in the same non-scholarship league as Drake.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » February 8th, 2013, 10:34 am

The issue is priority, not whether a program has football. A program can have football and still make basketball its priority. That's the case with most if not all of existing MVC programs. Valpo certainly prioritizes its basketball over its lower division football, and I think the same can be said for Murray State.

This isn't an issue for schools like Texas or Ohio State who can fund both football and basketball to their heart's content, but at the midmajor level choices have to be made. The MAC has a football-first culture the last couple decades and throws millions at it, to the detriment of its basketball. The MVC has a basketball-first culture, and unsurprisingly has consistently outperformed them.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » February 8th, 2013, 10:44 am

Mikovio wrote:The issue is priority, not whether a program has football. A program can have football and still make basketball its priority. That's the case with most if not all of existing MVC programs. Valpo certainly prioritizes its basketball over its lower division football, and I think the same can be said for Murray State.

This isn't an issue for schools like Texas or Ohio State who can fund both football and basketball to their heart's content, but at the midmajor level choices have to be made. The MAC has a football-first culture the last couple decades and throws millions at it, to the detriment of its basketball. The MVC has a basketball-first culture, and unsurprisingly has consistently outperformed them.

Okay, gotcha. Yeah, in the Valley, certainly MSU and InSU both fund basketball much more than their football. IlSU is about even but looking at upping FB. Really only SIU and UNI have a football lean but even that is not predominant, more so at UNI, I think, but it is much more level than it was probably 15 years ago. That said, I can't speak to the balance with Murray. They have had a good run recently with some talent in basketball, but I know that they have also had a traditionally competitive football team (for an OVC school).
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » February 8th, 2013, 10:55 am

I get the feeling Murray is a basketball school, not a football school. Kinda like how UNC is a basketball school instead of a football school.

I do get the sense SDSU would go basketball first, while NDSU would probably lean football. So if we add one Dakota only, it would be SDSU.

Oh, and people thinking this is a one-bid league without Creighton are nuts.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby isumvc1 » February 8th, 2013, 11:00 am

I'll say it again, there is not a snowball's chance in you know where that the dakota territorial schools are added to the MVC anytime soon.

The president's of the league are not going to sit down and approve schools that will exponentially increase travel costs for every MVC team. Then you're looking at putting all your volleyball, women's basketball, soccer, tennis, swimming, baseball, and golf teams on expensive airline flights to far flung reaches of dang near Canada. Just not gonna happen.

The ONE scenario where it MIGHT happen is if there are massive defections from the MVC, i.e., CU leaves, then Evansville leaves, then WSU, Bradley, and Drake leave. Then yes, I could see where the MVC would more than likely add the dakota territory schools. But unless we have major defections we will add schools that are much more established in basketball.
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jwa123 » February 8th, 2013, 12:54 pm

"The president's of the league are not going to sit down and approve schools that will exponentially increase travel costs for every MVC team. Then you're looking at putting all your volleyball, women's basketball, soccer, tennis, swimming, baseball, and golf teams on expensive airline flights to far flung reaches of dang near Canada. Just not gonna happen."

There might be more merit to this than you realize. I remember when the Dakotas entered the MVFC, there were some schools (SIU & InSU if I remember correctly) that almost didn't go along with it and finally agreed to their entering only after it was determined and formalized that they would never have to make more than one trip to the Dakotas per football season. Travel costs was the reason.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball