NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Postby ValpoTX » May 17th, 2017, 9:59 am

I understand that this thread is tied to NDSU/SDSU, but I am going to have one final response outside of that topic, since team quality was brought up.

I very much look forward to competing in this league in each of our sports. Not only because it is a better conference fit for us long-term, but also because of the large MVC bias that I have seen in some fans not thinking that we can compete immediately in many of our sports after our upcoming move. The same thing happened when we made the move up to the HL, and we proved those schools wrong from the get-go. We will be fine in Men's Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, M/W Soccer, and Softball. You will see us initially suck in Women's Basketball, M/W CC, and M/W T&F.

For the RPI 'snobs,' you will be surprised. When I was playing, we often beat several MVC teams with much higher RPIs. They had the same attitude that they would cruise against us, but left with a L ;) .
ValpoTX
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » May 17th, 2017, 10:27 am

ValpoTX wrote:I understand that this thread is tied to NDSU/SDSU, but I am going to have one final response outside of that topic, since team quality was brought up.

I very much look forward to competing in this league in each of our sports. Not only because it is a better conference fit for us long-term, but also because of the large MVC bias that I have seen in some fans not thinking that we can compete immediately in many of our sports after our upcoming move. The same thing happened when we made the move up to the HL, and we proved those schools wrong from the get-go. We will be fine in Men's Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, M/W Soccer, and Softball. You will see us initially suck in Women's Basketball, M/W CC, and M/W T&F.

For the RPI 'snobs,' you will be surprised. When I was playing, we often beat several MVC teams with much higher RPIs. They had the same attitude that they would cruise against us, but left with a L ;) .

It's not the "one offs" that will get you.

It's the fact that every single night, every single game, is like that. UNI is undefeated against #1 ranked teams in the nation in men's basketball (2-0). We have a winning record against Iowa State (and the B12) over the last 15 years. That doesn't mean we are equal/better than Iowa State in the B12 conference. The grind is much different
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ValpoTX » May 17th, 2017, 10:47 am

Sure, I get it. During my FR year, we beat Notre Dame when they were ranked #1 in the nation late in that season (2000 season, baseball). It didn't mean that we were better or that we would ever beat them again, but we did that day. The grind WILL be harder in all sports in the MVC, but I believe that our teams will be up to the challenge in the main team sports, and not be a bottom dweller for the league.
ValpoTX
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 17th, 2017, 11:42 am

I would really love a detailed analysis of the cross country teams in each if the summit, MVC, horizon, and ovc
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ValpoTX » May 17th, 2017, 12:08 pm

What about the school bands? How about the PA announcer and PbP announcer analysis for each conference?
ValpoTX
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Herd » May 17th, 2017, 1:45 pm

ValpoTX wrote:What about the school bands? How about the PA announcer and PbP announcer analysis for each conference?

That's rich coming from the guy that started the softball discussion with no clue what he was talking about.
Herd
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » May 17th, 2017, 1:54 pm

mvfcfan wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Oh, please, let's have a pissing contest over softball

For real. No one is getting added to a conference because of baseball or softball. In college sports you get added because of football or men's basketball. (Notice that UCONN isn't getting invited to the Big East or the ACC because of their women's basketball team.)

UConn wasn't even getting added due to their Men's basketball which had been really really good too.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ValpoTX » May 17th, 2017, 6:13 pm

Herd wrote:
ValpoTX wrote:What about the school bands? How about the PA announcer and PbP announcer analysis for each conference?

That's rich coming from the guy that started the softball discussion with no clue what he was talking about.

He was being sarcastic, so I was being sarcastic back. Buy a clue, dude. If you can't tell, he only cares about Men's Basketball. Also, I didn't start the softball conversation, I just responded to lakesbison on the topic.
ValpoTX
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Khan4Cats » May 18th, 2017, 7:04 am

ValpoTX wrote:
Herd wrote:

He was being sarcastic, so I was being sarcastic back. Buy a clue, dude. If you can't tell, he only cares about Men's Basketball. Also, I didn't start the softball conversation, I just responded to lakesbison on the topic.

That was your great mistake.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Herd » May 20th, 2017, 3:50 pm

ValpoTX wrote:I hate to pile on, as I don't mind NDSU at all, but talk about 'best of the worst' in regards to Softball. Every single Summit League team had a losing record, with NDSU taking second in the regular season (11-7), and first in the conference tourney at 28-31 overall.

Glad NDSU softball could make you look like an idiot. Nice post
Herd
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball