MVC starter
MVC starter

Re: NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » April 7th, 2017, 9:44 am

Lakesbison wrote:Image

Second smallest in the conferece - third smallest average attendance. Smallest basketball budget by a half million dollars. The one a head of NDSU is 400-500k under funded compared to the next group.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » April 7th, 2017, 9:50 am

Our team this past year was a "joke" and we never do well in SL.

Sorry but we have to find teams this time around that are capable of replacing Wichita. Loyola was not a worthy replacement for Creighton. Loyola sucked when they were in the Horizon League and they still suck. If anything we should've invited Valpo if we wanted in the Chicago market, not Loyola. Indiana State is pretty good at making terrible programs look like world beaters. Don't feel too proud. Loyola has not made the conference better. If anything adding them instead of a "good" team is why we lost Wichita.

Adding 4 teams (2 of which made the NCAA's this year) that just had a really good seasons in basketball and that are the only D1 schools in their states are worthy replacements (aka USD, SDSU, UND, NDSU). UIC, UMKC, and Omaha are not worthy replacements.

Belmont supposedly turned the MVC down the last time and I seriously doubt St. Louis would leave the Atlantic 10. Valpo is the only reasonable non-football team we could add this time around. Anyone else is a mistake non-football wise.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheAsianSensation » April 7th, 2017, 9:51 am

Here's the bottom line. The MVC is a basketball-first conference. The Dakotas are not basketball-first programs. It doesn't fit.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby goramblers2011 » April 7th, 2017, 9:57 am

mvfcfan wrote:Our team this past year was a "joke" and we never do well in SL.

Sorry but we have to find teams this time around that are capable of replacing Wichita. Loyola was not a worthy replacement for Creighton. Loyola sucked when they were in the Horizon League and they still suck. If anything we should've invited Valpo if we wanted in the Chicago market, not Loyola. Indiana State is pretty good at making terrible programs look like world beaters. Don't feel too proud. Loyola has not made the conference better. If anything adding them instead of a "good" team is why we lost Wichita.

Adding 4 teams (2 of which made the NCAA's this year) that just had a really good seasons in basketball and that are the only D1 schools in their states are worthy replacements (aka USD, SDSU, UND, NDSU). UIC, UMKC, and Omaha are not worthy replacements.

Belmont supposedly turned the MVC down the last time and I seriously doubt St. Louis would leave the Atlantic 10. Valpo is the only reasonable non-football team we could add this time around. Anyone else is a mistake non-football wise.

Loyola will be better than ISUb again this year. And for the foreseeable future. Stop laying all the blame on them. The rest of the conference has been mostly inept for the past few seasons. That is why Wichita is leaving. The Shockers outgrew the MVC. Adding Loyola is not why they are leaving.
goramblers2011
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » April 7th, 2017, 9:58 am

goramblers2011 wrote:

Loyola will be better than ISUb again this year. And for the foreseeable future. Stop laying all the blame on them. The rest of the conference has been mostly inept for the past few seasons. That is why Wichita is leaving. The Shockers outgrew the MVC. Adding Loyola is not why they are leaving.

Programs like Loyola, and the thinking that brought a program like Loyola in, is the reason WSU is leaving.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby goramblers2011 » April 7th, 2017, 10:03 am

uniftw wrote:
goramblers2011 wrote:

Programs like Loyola, and the thinking that brought a program like Loyola in, is the reason WSU is leaving.

WSU is leaving because they have outgrown the conference couple with a great opportunity. Just like Creighton did. Since joining, Loyola has been competitive with all of the other MVC programs and looks to continue to improve--so why is Loyola to blame but not the other 8 programs (esp. the likes of Drake, Bradley, etc.). Easy to blame the 'new guy' instead of looking in the mirror.
goramblers2011
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 7th, 2017, 10:13 am

WSU left because of a collective ineptitude to improve the conference, especially in basketball.

I have not commented on who to bring in yet, mainly because I'm not educated enough on the potential suitors. However, we can't expect to bring in an equivalent WSU to this conference. All equivalents are in P5/Big East conferences already.

Therefore, we need to look for a school with POTENTIAL and an athletic department willing to invest in their growth. This is sort of like the NBA drafting a high schooler (back when you could), hopeful they will pan out.

Some Redbirdfan posters seem to like Grand Canyon for the potential. I don't really have an opinion on whom. I just hope the league does it's due diligence on this matter and don't rush their decision.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » April 7th, 2017, 10:16 am

I'm just saying Loyola was a bad addition. I know you're a Loyola fan and you won't accept that, but most of the fan bases across the Valley were not particularly happy about Loyola joining the conference. Loyola couldn't even win in the Horizon League. However Loyola is in the conference and I do cheer for Loyola and I hope they do get better in the future.

Almost everyone knows who Valpo (because of basketball) and NDSU (because of football) are. Not very many people know who Loyola of Chicago is. No offense, but I imagine there are a lot of people in Chicago that don't know who Loyola is.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redhawk » April 7th, 2017, 10:30 am

mvfcfan wrote:I'm just saying Loyola was a bad addition. I know you're a Loyola fan and you won't accept that, but most of the fan bases across the Valley were not particularly happy about Loyola joining the conference. Loyola couldn't even win in the Horizon League. However Loyola is in the conference and I do cheer for Loyola and I hope they do get better in the future.

Almost everyone knows who Valpo (because of basketball) and NDSU (because of football) are. Not very many people know who Loyola of Chicago is. No offense, but I imagine there are a lot of people in Chicago that don't know who Loyola is.

If you don't like Loyola then why are you so high on Valpo?

Just what the Valley needs to gain more attention and exposure...small market, small arena,
small fanbase and no growth potential. Everybody knows who they are?
The Bryce Drew shot was 20 years ago!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball