NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Postby pafan » February 7th, 2013, 10:55 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:Is there or could there be some team from a non-football playing school that we are not aware of that would want to transfer or join the MVC? Such as a surprise but "GOOD" addition. From other than a conference that is falling apart.

There are only 98 non-football D1 schools to choose from. For geographic reasons, pick someone in the Horizon League or the Summit League and see if they play football.

Couple of others that aren't terrible geographically: Belmont (OVC). Arkansas Little Rock (Sun Belt). Oral Roberts (Southland)
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheAsianSensation » February 7th, 2013, 11:04 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:Those of you that know a lot more than I do about conference memberships and conference "happiness" than I, I have a question.

Is there or could there be some team from a non-football playing school that we are not aware of that would want to transfer or join the MVC? Such as a surprise but "GOOD" addition. From other than a conference that is falling apart.
Say the school may want to join to boost the NCAA tourney participation?

If things break right in the A-10/C7 hostile takeover, Dayton could fall into our lap. I'm thinking a C-14 with St Louis, Detroit, Butler, Xavier, and other A-10 schools, but not Dayton, and all of a sudden they become a bit of an outlier in the A-10.

Other than that, not really. All the other surprise scenarios were actually kind of predicated on the Big East split that happened, only with Marquette/DePaul becoming separated from the other 5.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby TheAsianSensation » February 7th, 2013, 11:20 pm

Lakesbison wrote:Mr asian

Youre wrong on a few points, big fluffy is a d2 joke. NDSU "Olympic" sports are on par with any mvc school. Check out the way ndsu has breezed through thier first years of D1 multiple ncaa tourney bids.

NDSU matches the mvc patty viverito needs to step up to the plate

Notice I actually didn't address the Olympic sports. Just football and basketball. I think NDSU would probably compete in all other sports.

Big Fluffy is a bottomfeeder, I can agree with that. NDSU may get put into a position where that's their only choice (not at NDSU's fault), which is unfortunate.

I do actually think NDSU does bring some strengths to the table, so I'm not against it as much as others. But there's a lot of risk, and it feels like the MVC would be taking a big risk. NDSU would have to keep up the winning. There's a big difference between the Summit and the MVC. Same thing I've tried to tell everyone who keeps thinking Murray State and/or Belmont is a good idea.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Shocktop42 » February 8th, 2013, 8:10 am

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Lakesbison wrote:Mr asian

Youre wrong on a few points, big fluffy is a d2 joke. NDSU "Olympic" sports are on par with any mvc school. Check out the way ndsu has breezed through thier first years of D1 multiple ncaa tourney bids.

NDSU matches the mvc patty viverito needs to step up to the plate

Notice I actually didn't address the Olympic sports. Just football and basketball. I think NDSU would probably compete in all other sports.

Big Fluffy is a bottomfeeder, I can agree with that. NDSU may get put into a position where that's their only choice (not at NDSU's fault), which is unfortunate.

I do actually think NDSU does bring some strengths to the table, so I'm not against it as much as others. But there's a lot of risk, and it feels like the MVC would be taking a big risk. NDSU would have to keep up the winning. There's a big difference between the Summit and the MVC. Same thing I've tried to tell everyone who keeps thinking Murray State and/or Belmont is a good idea.

^^This^^
I think that the big question is this: If CU leaves, is our conference anything more than a 1 bid league? I say no. The only way to try to get back to the 2-bid status is by adding something that makes the league better. Are xDSU the answer? I don't know. Certainly there is risk with those schools but I stand by my statement that most years (without CU) we are 1 bid league. So does their addition (or any others for that matter) make our league a 2 bid league. If this is true, shouldn't we be looking for schools that are established and have a history in the tournament OR we should look for schools that have potential to be competitive (now or in the near future). Since the realistic options for schools that are on par with the top of our league are not around we might only have one choice. Invite schools who have upside.
Shocktop42
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Lakesbison » February 8th, 2013, 8:42 am

Fargo has Fargo and that's it. They are further from the Twin Cities than Cedar Falls

You havent been here lately with oil boom Fargo and area has largest population increase in nation!
Plus the Lakes area of Detroit Lakes is 30-40 miles away with another 75, 000-100, 000 people.

The MVC should be open to NDSU especially if Creighton leaves
15, 000 students.
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby jwa123 » February 8th, 2013, 9:05 am

Lake Bison, go back to the MAC and MWC forums.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aces0976 » February 8th, 2013, 9:38 am

I say we take SDSU and don't take NDSU based soley on two criteria: (1) Jackrabbits is a much cooler nickname than bison. (2) I have a feeling it would really piss off this Lakesbison guy, and I just think it would be funny.
Aces0976
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Mikovio » February 8th, 2013, 9:57 am

The minute any ____ Dakota ____ gets approved, the basketball schools needs to find a way out ASAP. Given the choice to spend a dollar on addressing a need in basketball or their lower division football program (or in UND's case, hockey), they're almost sure to spend it on football (or hockey). Look to the MAC, where the athletic departments are all spending tens of millions on football stadiums, facilities and coaches, while their perpetual one-bid basketball league founders, and two-time MAC coach of the year at Kent State Geno Ford is poached by a last place MVC team. The MVC has prospered relative to its peers because it's always been a league of basketball-first schools, and that's where it shepards its resources. Priority matters.

Now, Murray State, Loyola or Valpo (or SLU if they get left out) would all be suitable replacements.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » February 8th, 2013, 10:25 am

Mikovio wrote:The minute any ____ Dakota ____ gets approved, the basketball schools needs to find a way out ASAP. Given the choice to spend a dollar on addressing a need in basketball or their lower division football program (or in UND's case, hockey), they're almost sure to spend it on football (or hockey). Look to the MAC, where the athletic departments are all spending tens of millions on football stadiums, facilities and coaches, while their perpetual one-bid basketball league founders, and two-time MAC coach of the year at Kent State Geno Ford is poached by a last place MVC team. The MVC has prospered relative to its peers because it's always been a league of basketball-first schools, and that's where it shepards its resources. Priority matters.

Now, Murray State, Loyola or Valpo (or SLU if they get left out) would all be suitable replacements.

Murray State has football, too. Valpo plays in the same non-scholarship league as Drake.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » February 8th, 2013, 10:34 am

The issue is priority, not whether a program has football. A program can have football and still make basketball its priority. That's the case with most if not all of existing MVC programs. Valpo certainly prioritizes its basketball over its lower division football, and I think the same can be said for Murray State.

This isn't an issue for schools like Texas or Ohio State who can fund both football and basketball to their heart's content, but at the midmajor level choices have to be made. The MAC has a football-first culture the last couple decades and throws millions at it, to the detriment of its basketball. The MVC has a basketball-first culture, and unsurprisingly has consistently outperformed them.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball