CU v. Northern State - first the good news

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby cu8493 » November 5th, 2010, 12:26 pm

The Good:

CU did not lose to a DII school, so we get to stay in the MVC another year
Young: 8-10 FT (if he can shoot free throws this year, he will be hard to defend because you can't just hack him like last year) Also 6 A, 16 pts

Little McDermott: 18 pts, 7 Rbs, 1 TO. 6-6 from the line and 6-9 from the field. A couple of nifty offensive moves.

Jahenns: (2-5 FG, 1-3 Threes, 4 Rbs, 1 TO) Not huge stats, but looks like he will be able to adequately fill time when Young needs a breather.

Runnels: 3-5 FG, 1-1 threes, 2 Rbs, 2-2 FTs, 0 TO. Solid game, though we will need more boards from him.

FREE PIZZA.

The not so good:

Got outrebounded by 4 by a DII school.

Lawson very subpar night against DII opponents (though perhaps still feeling the effects of reported recent illnes)

Casey Harriman: Not going to be able to do a whole lot this year, IMO, playing with torn labrum. Played only a little and really didn't get much done. Took a charge, as usual, which reportedly was very painful for his bad shoulder.

Ethan Wragge: Hit only three he took, but playing time very limited by inability to play defense and foul trouble (again). He is not going to be on the court as much as we need him to be if he can't get that straightened out.

Korver: 1-6 3 pts (made first one, then missed 6 - some badly).

25% as a team from three. Allowed DII school to shoot 53% from three in second half.

Did I mention outrebounded by 4? Did I also mention gave up 17 offensive boards to a DII school? That is going to have to get changed in a hurry or it will be a long, long season.

Probably more positives than negatives overall. Northern State does look like a pretty good DII school - or at least we made them look like one. But, plenty to work on in the coming week.
cu8493
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: CU v. Northern State - first the good news

Postby MoValley John » November 5th, 2010, 1:22 pm

DId you actually go to an exhibition to analyze? I went to have a few grossly overpriced beers (That is the only reason people go, just ask Nebraska basketball fans).

As for my take, Creighton looks much, much improved on defense but really choppy on offense. There were times where the offense looked smooth, but too many times nobody move without the ball- a lot of standaround, waiting for something to happen, offense. Young will be much better than many people think and Manigat will be good. Little McDermott will be good this year, very good next. He has a really soft shot, 18 points in only 20 minutes. The rebounding was kind of fluky as many of the misses were from three point and took big clangs off the rim all the way back to the perimeter. I thought Creighton was much stronger under the rim than they were last year. I could be wrong, Nortern State is D-2. Then again, they gave a mediocre Oklahoma team all they wanted. That said, it was a D-2 team, I try to enjoy my beer and not look too deeply...

I only took one picture. My current phone takes much better photos than my old phone. It even zooms. I figured out how to post photos on this board, more to come... Jays dancers still suck but the music was marginally better. National Anthem was tooooooo long, don't hire that chick back... Dude in front of me brought his 5-6 year-old daughter, she puked right at the start of the second half, that was exciting! They left... Free Pizza!!!
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jon4thejays » November 5th, 2010, 3:36 pm

That is P’allen skinner’s little sister who just turned 2 and she threw up on her grandfather. I think she was expressing her view on Creighton’s rebounding or Korvers shooting after his first make.
jon4thejays
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby bigdawg » November 5th, 2010, 3:45 pm

jon4thejays wrote:That is P’allen skinner’s little sister who just turned 2 and she threw up on her grandfather. I think she was expressing her view on Creighton’s rebounding or Korvers shooting after his first make.

so what we learned here is that MoValleyJohn doesn't know the difference between a 5-6 year old girl and a 2 year old girl. Either that or he had a couple too many overpriced beers. :P
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoValley John » November 5th, 2010, 5:14 pm

jon4thejays wrote:That is P’allen skinner’s little sister who just turned 2 and she threw up on her grandfather. I think she was expressing her view on Creighton’s rebounding or Korvers shooting after his first make.

Nope. It was my neighbor's kid. I guess two kids puked at the game last night! There must have been something in the Dippin' Dots. I didn't notice, was P'Allen Skinner at the game in his jersey?
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jon4thejays » November 5th, 2010, 9:09 pm

MoValley John wrote:

Nope. It was my neighbor's kid. I guess two kids puked at the game last night! There must have been something in the Dippin' Dots. I didn't notice, was P'Allen Skinner at the game in his jersey?

No P’Allen he was at home with me. P had been puking at home and did not get to go to the game.
jon4thejays
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball