Is Valparaiso the new Evansville?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby lurkingdog » April 1st, 2013, 7:50 am

UE won 70 games in the three seasons prior to joining the MVC, as the school selected to replace Tulsa.

Valpo has won 71 games the past three seasons.

Both were among the best in the Horizon League, but is that a guarantee of success in the MVC?
lurkingdog
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Is Valparaiso the new Evansville?

Postby valleychamp » April 1st, 2013, 8:05 am

I would think that to be the new Evansville, that they would first have to be invited to join the conference.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby lurkingdog » April 1st, 2013, 8:28 am

No. Evansville was Evansville before being invited. That's the point of this thread.
lurkingdog
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Dean Wormer » April 1st, 2013, 9:25 am

lurkingdog wrote:UE won 70 games in the three seasons prior to joining the MVC, as the school selected to replace Tulsa.

Valpo has won 71 games the past three seasons.

Both were among the best in the Horizon League, but is that a guarantee of success in the MVC?

Evansville was never in the Horizon, it was the MCC. Those 70 wins were against Xavier, Dayton, SLU, Butler, LaSalle, Duquesne, and even Marquette. Apples to oranges.

A Drake fan trashing Evansville or even Valpo...classic!
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby lurkingdog » April 1st, 2013, 11:28 am

Dean Wormer wrote:Evansville was never in the Horizon, it was the MCC.

Same conference. The Midwestern Collegiate Conference changed its name to Horizon League two years ago.

Those 70 wins were against Xavier, Dayton, SLU, Butler, LaSalle, Duquesne, and even Marquette. Apples to oranges.

So, you're saying that Evansville in the early-90s was actually much better than today's Valpo program? Interesting.
lurkingdog
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby EvilleAce » April 1st, 2013, 12:07 pm

lurkingdog wrote:

Same conference. The Midwestern Collegiate Conference changed its name to Horizon League two years ago.

Those 70 wins were against Xavier, Dayton, SLU, Butler, LaSalle, Duquesne, and even Marquette. Apples to oranges.

So, you're saying that Evansville in the early-90s was actually much better than today's Valpo program? Interesting.

I would say yes. UE competed in a much better MCC. So good that Creighton was set to jump from the Valley to the MCC until Dayton and the A-10 blew up the league in 92-93.

I think you should worry about your own program before trying to belittle Evansville.

Maybe Valpo will be the new Drake?

How many winning seasons have you had between 1987-2013? 2 or 3 out of 26 seasons? Now that is interesting!
EvilleAce
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Chuck A » April 1st, 2013, 12:46 pm

Eville Ace is quite correct. Evansville was a much better program then that Valparaiso is now. Roberts Stadium was packed and was a hard place to win at. They played teams like Xavier, St. Louis, Loyola (when they were good and competitive with Alfredrick Hughes, Andre Moore et al) Dayton. The MCC was going to be the next great "Big East"-type conference.
UIC Flames
MVC Member Since 2022
Chuck A
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DUBulldog » April 1st, 2013, 1:13 pm

EvilleAce wrote:
lurkingdog wrote:

I would say yes. UE competed in a much better MCC. So good that Creighton was set to jump from the Valley to the MCC until Dayton and the A-10 blew up the league in 92-93.

I think you should worry about your own program before trying to belittle Evansville.

Maybe Valpo will be the new Drake?

How many winning seasons have you had between 1987-2013? 2 or 3 out of 26 seasons? Now that is interesting!

I'm not real sure what point Lurking Dog is trying to make....but I also don't see that he belittled UE.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby havoc » April 1st, 2013, 3:19 pm

lurkingdog wrote:

No, the MCC changed its name to the Horizon League in 2001, twelve years ago, not two. The league UE was in hardly resembles the Horizon League today.

I don't know about much better, but Valpo has been in the current Horizon League for six seasons. They've been to one NCAA tournament as a 14 seed and lost their first game. In the last 6 years UE was in the MCC, they went to the NCAA tournament 3 times as an 11, 8, and 14 seed, winning 1 game and had an overall record of 124-59.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby pafan » April 1st, 2013, 4:52 pm

Valparaiso is not far down my list of potential adds for the MVC.
The Horizon is an obvious source for a potential new member as a basketball-only conference in the same footprint.
Valparaiso has not yet reached the level of Evansville circa 1993, for reasons already discussed. Win the Horizon a couple more times, then we'll talk.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball