WSU vs Kansas Newman (Exhibition)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: WSU vs Kansas Newman (Exhibition)

Postby DUBulldog » November 11th, 2010, 9:24 am

Aargh wrote:He-he-he. They don't believe me.

I hope these non-believers go to their teams home games the next couple of years. Orukpe is at 254 lbs. now. I expect he'll be at 270 by his Sr year. Please name the last 7'0", 270 lb. sky walker who could run with guards that played in the Valley. Please.

If Orukpe had a complete game (offense, handling hard passes need work) he'd be a one-and-done lottery pick. He's just now starting to figure out where to position himself to get rebounds and learning how to box out. He didn't have much of that last year. His shooting range is 3' and in, so he'll probably get 3 years at WSU.

I haven't seen Orukpe, so I can't really comment about his game, or his potential. My question to you.....if his potential is as sky-high as you seem to think, why wasn't he more highly recruited? Big guys, especially big guys with athletic ability, no matter how raw they are, tend to get over-recruited based on potential rather than under-recruited.

From his official profile on the WSU website:

Orukpe, who originally signed with Liberty, was also recruited by Auburn, Western Kentucky, Illinois State and Winthrop…

Those are some decent programs, but not exactly powerhouses. If these schools were aware of him, I'm guessing other schools were as well.

I hope he turns out well for you guys.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby iSASO » November 11th, 2010, 10:05 am

DU, you are right on. As a former poster on here (GoBU) said at this time of the year, "It's just WSU, how good could Aaron Hogg really be?" Yea, Aaron went on to be the MVC 6th Man of the Year, but the point remains, if Orukpe was anything he wouldn't be here, he wouldn't be in the Valley.

Non-WSU fans, you can take this to the bank - Orukpe will never amount to anything like the studs that the Heemskerk boys were. Now, those two were the best big guys I've seen in my 40+ years of following the Valley. They are the standard-bearers for Orukpe to be measured against, along with the other greatest big men in MVC history, Danny Moore and Jordan Egleseeder. Given that, your teams will be playing 5-on-4 when Orukpe is on the floor. You should relish his time on the floor - it will provide the spark you need to really run up the score on WSU.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » November 11th, 2010, 10:13 am

iSASO wrote:DU, you are right on. As a former poster on here (GoBU) said at this time of the year, "It's just WSU, how good could Aaron Hogg really be?" Yea, Aaron went on to be the MVC 6th Man of the Year, but the point remains, if Orukpe was anything he wouldn't be here, he wouldn't be in the Valley.

Non-WSU fans, you can take this to the bank - Orukpe will never amount to anything like the studs that the Heemskerk boys were. Now, those two were the best big guys I've seen in my 40+ years of following the Valley. They are the standard-bearers for Orukpe to be measured against, along with the other greatest big men in MVC history, Danny Moore and Jordan Egleseeder. Given that, your teams will be playing 5-on-4 when Orukpe is on the floor. You should relish his time on the floor - it will provide the spark you need to really run up the score on WSU.

MVCfans (board owner).....can we get the sleeping smilie face with zzzzzz's coming out of it's mouth?

I hate to give the fisherman in a slump (iSASO) even a little nibble, but c'mon, you can do better than that.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby iSASO » November 11th, 2010, 10:20 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:I think we need a smilie that looks like a crack pipe.

What? Can't I agree with my esteemed colleague DoubleJay? Do the kindler, more gentle rules of this board prevent me from agreeing with another poster?

You all lambaste Shocker fans for being so over-the-top but when one of us gives you a down-to-earth shot of realism you complain about that too. Is being honest against the rules of this new site?
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jayball » November 11th, 2010, 10:26 am

It i interesting ISASO, I was just going to post about the different reactions from some WSU fans about EO compared to their reception of CU's Echenique. I guess it is all about your perspective sometimes.

When it is GE (or anyone else).....some fans will automatically say have to prove it to them on the court. Which is correct. But when people try to discuss anything that happend on a D1 court in the Big East..that is comletely irrelavent to how he will do in the Valley. Don't even talk about it.

When it is EO...some fans expect that everyone should uncriticlly accept the preordained success of African god from juco. He was raised by a group of kangaroos and gazelles and a suckled from a mama grizzly bear. He can cure cold sores with his tears and revive dead hamsters by blinking. He once impregnated the entire population of Park City by laughing. They will all give birth to rainbows about 20 mintues before the home opener.

I don't know maybe you guys just don't like Venezula?
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Smooth007 » November 11th, 2010, 11:32 am

I was very impressed with EO last night and he did substantially more than I expected. However, AnthonyTollover and Patrick O'Bryant were some pretty athletic big men. I would be very excited if EO were similar players by next year but doubt the growth will come that quickly. He can rebound and play defense well. He can dunk and appears to have a nice 4 ft hook shot. He also can bank in a nice freethrow (he didn't call glass though) - lol. I am expecting stats lines that look like this. 5 pts, 6 rebounds, 3 fouls in 12 minutes. He will add great value off the bench this year.
Smooth007
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Cdizzle » November 11th, 2010, 11:43 am

jayball wrote:It i interesting ISASO, I was just going to post about the different reactions from some WSU fans about EO compared to their reception of CU's Echenique. I guess it is all about your perspective sometimes.

When it is GE (or anyone else).....some fans will automatically say have to prove it to them on the court. Which is correct. But when people try to discuss anything that happend on a D1 court in the Big East..that is comletely irrelavent to how he will do in the Valley. Don't even talk about it.

When it is EO...some fans expect that everyone should uncriticlly accept the preordained success of African god from juco. He was raised by a group of kangaroos and gazelles and a suckled from a mama grizzly bear. He can cure cold sores with his tears and revive dead hamsters by blinking. He once impregnated the entire population of Park City by laughing. They will all give birth to rainbows about 20 mintues before the home opener.

I don't know maybe you guys just don't like Venezula?

Fair enough. Except the kangaroo and grizzly bear part. They are obviously not native to Nigeria.

I don't know if Orupke will go to the NBA. I do think he has the build for it. Obviously any prognosticating beyond that is very far-fetched at this point. I think maybe a lot of WSU fans are just very excited for two reasons.
1. There is finally a player on the court after a nearly 4-year recruiting saga.
2. After spending the last year seriously tempering expectations, Orupke has looked a little more impressive than some anticipated.

Does this make him and NBA player? Absolutely not. But with his size and athleticism, it isn't completely unreasonable that someone might be interested if he progresses well over the next 3 years (lots of ifs). Also, nobody is touting him as MVC player of the year. Just as one of the more likely to go pro because of body type and ceiling.

As for previous comments about the recruitment list, that is another fair point. I will say that his recruitment has been over for some 3 years. A 7-foot tall athlete can progress and grow into his body a lot in that amount of time. Also keep in mind that there is obviously some risk with this player. It has been 3 years. Not everyone wants to wait 3 years. Some schools can get as good a player from places that are less of a hassle/risk.

No one is expecting Orupke to dominate the league this year. Some people are expecting that from Echenique, and that's fine. Not saying it won't happen. So I think the comparison is different. The NBA talk is more focused on potential, not realized ability at this moment. I think people do get tired of the "Big East" line. Isn't that something that Valley fans should shrug off? He played at Rutgers. Rutgers was not a good team. Weren't there some very highly touted transfers from Iowa that went to SIU recently? They were preseason All-MVC picks because they were from a crappy, crappy team from the Big 10. How did that work out?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 11th, 2010, 12:32 pm

Cdizzle wrote:Does this make him and NBA player? Absolutely not. But with his size and athleticism, it isn't completely unreasonable that someone might be interested if he progresses well over the next 3 years (lots of ifs). Also, nobody is touting him as MVC player of the year. Just as one of the more likely to go pro because of body type and ceiling.

While nobody has specifically touted him as MVC POY, he was touted as an NBA lottery pick after one exhibition performance. Since the Valley doesn't have a lot of guys drafted each year, I'd think that if he was truly a lottery pick, he'd probably be in consideration for MVC POY as well.

(I think the "future lottery pick" stuff is what is drawing the responses. That goes a lot further than saying that somebody may be an NBA prospect.)
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jayball » November 11th, 2010, 12:42 pm

Cdiz and 007

Glad to here the big guy has looked good to start, 7ft atheletes are rare and defintely have NBA potential just because of size and mobility. A lottery pick is a pretty high bar after one exhibition. I'm sure the long road to WSU has heightened the anticipation of seeing him.

I agree that Big East (or Big Ten ect) numbers for transfers don't guarantee anything in the Valley. But I also think that being from Africa doesn't mean you aren't part Grizzly. I think most CU fans are pointing to GE becoming possible NOY not NBA lottery pick.

Personally, I don't expect GE to come in and dominate the Valley with triple doubles. I hope he plays well enough to be considered for newcomer of the year and then continues to develop over his next two years. He is probably a little further along the basketball curve than EO at this point, and because of CU's post situation, he will likely get more minutes this year.

I think both WSU and CU are looking from big things from their new big guys. It will be fun to watch the battles if everyone plays as well as they have been hyped.
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby WSUbballer » November 11th, 2010, 12:44 pm

So much reaction.

WSU has a lot of nice options this year. EO is one of them. He's not gonna wow you with his offensive prowess. He will grab your eye on the court though. Still a lot of work left to do before he becomes the next great Gregory.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball