WSU vs Kansas Newman (Exhibition)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: WSU vs Kansas Newman (Exhibition)

Postby iSASO » November 11th, 2010, 10:49 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:One thing is for certain -- WSU should win the league this year by at least 5 or 6 games.

How about this, Mr. Big Shot? $500 says that WSU won't win the conference by 5 or 6 games?
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ixiah » November 11th, 2010, 11:25 pm

DUBulldog wrote:I don't want to get into the whole Echinique (sp?) vs Orukpe thing, but one thing just hit me.

Both of those guys are sophomores, as are Teague (SIU), Koch (UNI) and Van Deest (DU). I can't remember any time recently when the MVC has has this many good, young big guys.

WSU had a bit of a surprise signing today in Carl Hall (18.6 ppg and 11.3 rpg as a JUCO freshman last year) which will be in the same class.

http://www.kansas.com/2010/11/11/158486 ... llege.html
Ixiah
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Aargh » November 12th, 2010, 12:10 am

Hall is a 6'8" PF I think I saw that he's 225. From pics I've seen, that might be light.

In the JC National Championship tourney last year, Hall averaged 24 and 11. He's at 17.3 and 7 so far this year. He transferred JuCo's this year. He's on the #5 rated JuCo in the nation and isn't the #1 rebounding option on that team, which has 3 players averaging 6 or more boards.

Marshall is already experimenting with both Stutz and Orukpe in the lineup. With the addition of Hall and Jake White (6'8" Fr that scouting services compare to the Kochs at UNI and WSU coaches think could contribute as a Fr) it looks like the PF situation next year is shaping up.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Little Eddie » November 12th, 2010, 8:20 am

I think Stutz and OE, due to sheer size, will end up w/ more serious NBA looks than GE after all is said and done. GE would have to be a power forward in the NBA...not saying he wouldn't be able to do this but he'd have to develop a mid range jumper. GE reminds me a little of a guy that I watched play at Wyoming when I went to school there...Reggie Slater...he played in the NBA for a few years...or maybe like a Robert Tractor Traylor-type player. So there's potential for all 3 to get serious looks.

Like DUbulldog said...it'll be fun to see how these big guys develop in the Valley the next few years. I really think the addition of all these bigs (combined w/ the already solid guard play) will get the Valley back to where it was a few years ago when we sent multiple teams to the dance.

:wave:
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby jayball » November 12th, 2010, 9:57 am

Aargh wrote:Hall is a 6'8" PF I think I saw that he's 225. From pics I've seen, that might be light.

In the JC National Championship tourney last year, Hall averaged 24 and 11. He's at 17.3 and 7 so far this year. He transferred JuCo's this year. He's on the #5 rated JuCo in the nation and isn't the #1 rebounding option on that team, which has 3 players averaging 6 or more boards.

Marshall is already experimenting with both Stutz and Orukpe in the lineup. With the addition of Hall and Jake White (6'8" Fr that scouting services compare to the Kochs at UNI and WSU coaches think could contribute as a Fr) it looks like the PF situation next year is shaping up.

Should definitely help soften the blow of losing Durley, Blair, and Ellis (if he doesn't redshirt)
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Snaggletooth » November 12th, 2010, 11:41 am

jayball wrote: Should definitely help soften the blow of losing Durley, Blair, and Ellis (if he doesn't redshirt)

Ellis can't redshirt since he played in the exhibition game this week.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ali » November 12th, 2010, 11:45 am

Snaggletooth wrote:
jayball wrote: Should definitely help soften the blow of losing Durley, Blair, and Ellis (if he doesn't redshirt)

Exhibitions don't count. He can still redshirt.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby AndShock » November 12th, 2010, 11:48 am

If I see another Ellis can/can't redshirt post one more time on either here or Shockernet, I think I'm going to lose it.

Returning players can't play in an exhibition game and still redshirt. (Unless they end up with a medical redshirt.)
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » November 12th, 2010, 11:49 am

Ali wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:

Exhibitions don't count. He can still redshirt.

Here's my understanding of the rule when it comes to redshirting and exhibition games. New players can play in an exhibition and still redshirt. Returning players cannot.

But.........none of that matters when it comes to a player redshirting due to injury. In the case of injury, a player can play in up to 25 or 30% (can't remember which) of his team's games and still be granted a redshirt (called a medical hardship in this case). I'm pretty sure those 25-30% of the games must be at the beginning of the season.....e.g. you can't miss the first 30 games, play in the last 5 and still be granted a medical hardship.

Edit: I see that "AndShock" beat me to it while I was still typing out my post.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TheShock » November 12th, 2010, 11:52 am

AndShock wrote:If I see another Ellis can/can't redshirt post one more time on either here or Shockernet, I think I'm going to lose it.

Returning players can't play in an exhibition game and still redshirt. (Unless they end up with a medical redshirt.)

I hear ya' 'And'. :Beer:

'The'
TheShock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball